Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Angela Stokes gets dissed by SJR and sidekick
Posted by: Raw Step By Step ()
Date: January 14, 2007 06:35PM

A wonderful testament to the benefits of raw, however the ignorance and condensending hosts might make you want to put needles in your eyes, LOL

This is a 16 minute radio program

[video.google.com]

You can give SJR your feedback here

[www.sallyjr.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Angela Stokes gets dissed by SJR and sidekick
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: January 14, 2007 07:45PM

I enjoyed the interview, especially hearing the 2 interviews talking about things outside their experience. They were sharing around the fear their minds experienced over that Angela was doing, rather than being open to a new experience. Especially funny was the woman talking about her spiritual fasting experience with the Hopi Indians, and how that experience took her really far out of her known, and how here mind discounted the whole experience.

As Angela was describing what the elements of her juice fast, she said a few things that are misconceptions. First, that the digestion of fiber takes lot of energy that you save when you don't consume fiber. This is not true. The body makes no attempt to metabolize fiber, it is an essential nutrient, and without fiber we could not keep out digestive tract clean. Fiber is also essential for slowing down the absorption of sugars found in fruit. Take out the fibers, and those sugar go directly into the bloodstream and you potentially get a sugar high/crash.

The other thing she said was that cayenne is a healthy digestive stimulant. It is a stimulant, but if one needs a stimulant to make digestion work better, it is probably a more healthful approach to examine what in the diet or eating practices are hampering digestion.

For many raw foodists, doing a juice fast introduces less toxins and less digestion burden than their everyday eating. Its not the omission of fiber. Its the omission of fats which take a lot of energy to digest, and the omission of the spices and condiments (salt, vinegar, nama shoyu, garlic, etc) that stimulate the digestion and at the same time take away energy that could be going towards healing.

There is a diet, 80/10/10, where digestive burden and the toxin elimination burden is less than even the juice diet that Angela described. Eating whole ripe raw fresh organic fruits and vegetables in their original state, without the introduction of flavoring agents (sweeteners, salts, spices, etc) offers the same or higher level of cleansing than the juice diet.

Date: January 14, 2007 07:54PM

The other interesting thing. When the interviewers read what Angela had consumed the day before, I noticed she drank several cups of water in addition to her juices. When I am eating my normal diet, I don't feel the need for water. But when I am water fasting, I drink when I get thirsty, and this typically comes to 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of water a day. This is eating no food whatsoever, only drinking water.

That fact that Angela is thirsty for water tells me that something in her juice diet is not serving her. It could be the salt in the kelp, or perhaps the greens are slightly toxic for her body, and she is needing to dilute them. She is getting 1500 calories a day from her juice, and thats a gallon of liquid. That she need more liquid than this is a bit strange.

Date: January 14, 2007 08:18PM

I agree with you Bryan that it is not necessary to take in most of the stuff she is during a cleanse, particularly the oils and stimulants.

When I cleanse, I cannot take in that much juice because it is so concentrated. I found it hard to believe that the juice was providing as many calories as she said.

I think what it boils down to is she is following someone's cleansing program, which says that she needs to drink this and that and how much.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: January 14, 2007 10:02PM

Bryan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is not true. The body makes no
> attempt to metabolize fiber, it is an essential
> nutrient, and without fiber we could not keep out
> digestive tract clean.

Yes, our friendly native microbiota do it for us, they
turn the soluble fibers into short chain fatty acids
via fermentation.

For people who take in enormous amounts of fiber
(100 g or more per day), up to 20% of their total
kcal intake might be due to this fermentation process.

>Fiber is also essential for
> slowing down the absorption of sugars found in
> fruit. Take out the fibers, and those sugar go
> directly into the bloodstream and you potentially
> get a sugar high/crash.

Yes, I dislike the sugar spike feel. I get it even
when juicing greens, which is why I rarely juice.
But I suppose juicing has its place, for those who
would rarely or never *eat* greens, if juicing is
the only way to get them to consume them, then it
is not a bad thing.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: January 15, 2007 03:55AM

You guys are so smart..I have my encyclopedia right here on this board..

Juice Feasting Is An Idea Whose Time Has Come!!!
Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: January 15, 2007 08:03PM

Bryan wrote, “As Angela was describing what the elements of her juice fast, she said a few things that are misconceptions. First, that the digestion of fiber takes lot of energy that you save when you don't consume fiber. This is not true.”

Yes, it takes less energy to digest raw food but nonetheless, it still takes energy and when we give ourselves a solid food vacation, this energy does indeed get redirected towards the elimination cycle. In fact, every time we put solid food in our stomach it takes energy away from our intestines. That’s why even NHer’s recommend that we miss a meal whenever we feel ill.

Bryan wrote, “For many raw foodists, doing a juice fast introduces less toxins and less digestion burden than their everyday eating. Its not the omission of fiber. Its the omission of fats which take a lot of energy to digest, and the omission of the spices and condiments (salt, vinegar, nama shoyu, garlic, etc) that stimulate the digestion and at the same time take away energy that could be going towards healing.”

Yes, most raw foodists eat way too much fat, but that does not discount the fact that it still takes energy to separate the juice from the fiber.

Bryan wrote, “There is a diet, 80/10/10, where digestive burden and the toxin elimination burden is less than even the juice diet that Angela described.”

Trust me Bryan, you are WRONG!!! I have eaten an 80/10/10 diet and I have even eaten a 100% fruit diet with no vegetables and no overt fat and NEVER saw the results that I saw when I have Feasted on Juices! Indeed Juice Feasting is an idea whose time has come and will wake everyone up to Raw Foods!

For those who do not know who I am, I have been eating raw for almost 17 years…90% raw for the first 5 years and 100% raw for the last 12 years. I have Juice Fasted/Feasted for 795 days on 129 different occasions. I have coached thousands of people and 90% of my students start their journey for a better life with a Juice Fast/Feast. Most of these people would never even consider being a vegetarian, let alone a raw vegan, but they were willing to do a Juice Fast/Feast and when they did, it opened them up to going raw vegan.

One of my students and I have uploaded some videos on to google and YouTube…check them out… [www.juicefeasting.com] We plan on making a difference on this planet and we know that Juice Feasting is a bona-fide solution to all of our problems because it will wake everyone else up to raw food. Please share the good news with everyone you know…we do not need to suffer needlessly anymore.

Peace and Love……..John

PS Bryan and John, my website is under construction so you cannot accuse me of spamming and if y’all recall, I never sold my video to anyone from this message board during the whole time I used to post here years ago. My video is geared 100% for those who know nothing about raw food and I refuse to sell it anyone who already knows about it. I do, however, have several books that are almost finished that will be geared for everyone, especially the cookies.

Re: Juice Feasting Is An Idea Whose Time Has Come!!!
Date: January 16, 2007 02:23AM

Welcome back John. I was looking for ultimateweightloss the other day, and it was gone. So I was wondering what had happened to your business.

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: January 16, 2007 05:18AM

Newbie (to raw) reporters always get it a little wrong.

Watch the Tanya Zavesta interview

[www.beautifulonraw.com]

"It's a huge effort"
"You might loose too much weight"
"If you can't make a lifestyle choice that you can keep forever don't do it"

I wonder how many MDs sent SJR scathing remarks because she gave airtime to alternative treatments. (or maybe they didn't I've had a lot of MDs tell me to eat plenty of fruits and vegetables as sort of a casual remark in the middle of their examination) The questions weren't too bad for a newbie, everyone askes the protein question, at least raw got airtime and the host didn't cut her off too much.

Date: January 16, 2007 10:25PM

tropical Wrote:
> I wonder how many MDs sent SJR scathing remarks
> because she gave airtime to alternative
> treatments. (or maybe they didn't I've had a lot
> of MDs tell me to eat plenty of fruits and
> vegetables as sort of a casual remark in the
> middle of their examination) The questions weren't
> too bad for a newbie, everyone askes the protein
> question, at least raw got airtime and the host
> didn't cut her off too much.

tropical, did you hear the huge disclaimer at the end of the program, also SJR's well-thought out educated opinion that only a young person could accomplish such a diet. Would have liked to send her some photos of Storm Talifero and ask if she thinks if he looks like he has any deficiencies.

Date: January 16, 2007 10:43PM

Don't all raw food books have disclaimers on them, we are talking here about something more extreeme a 62 day fast that everyone on this thread has knocked in some way. Maybe SJR should read this thread on the air as her disclaimer.

Did Storm do the juice fast?

Date: January 16, 2007 11:31PM

Ooops, I listened to it again and it was 92 days long not 62 days.

What SJR said was interview-type questions, the sidekick butting in twice about eating beans and then going on and on about protein in the disclaimer was what was really irritating, but then at the end the sidekick said she didn't really know anything and should probably do some reading.

I don't know why they kept stressing that this was for the young, maybe they had a mental block about it (since they seem not-young) and are like, "I wish I could do this", and then are telling themselves "I should really leave this for the youngsters, I can't do this, I'm old".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables