Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Lactucarium - Lettuce Opium
Posted by: Jose ()
Date: January 16, 2007 06:11PM

Well, you learn something new everyday!

Lactucarium is the milky fluid secreted by several species of lettuce, especially Lactuca virosa, usually from the base of the stems. Lactucarium is known as lettuce opium because of its sedative and analgesic properties. It also promotes a mild sensation of euphoria. Lactucarium physically resembles opium, in that is excreted as a white fluid and can be reduced to a thick smokeable solid.

"Lettuce Opium" was used by the Ancient Egyptians, and was introduced as a drug in the United States as early as 1799. It has since faded from use, although it regained popularity slightly in the middle of the 20th century as a legal psychotropic.

From [en.wikipedia.org].

Mmmm... knew there was a reason why I like salads so much tongue sticking out smiley

Cheers,
J

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lactucarium - Lettuce Opium
Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: January 16, 2007 07:49PM

interesting.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 16, 2007 09:01PM

crazy cat. only from you josie.

Posted by: uma ()
Date: January 17, 2007 03:34AM

Awesome!! I'd heard something of this before but never this much detail. No wonder I love chomping on the bottom part of the lettuce head, i think there is the most in there. I wonder how you can (raw) isolate this liquid? winking smiley

LOL
www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=18713

Years ago i would consult this site when trying a new psychoactive drug. never guessed i'd revisit the site to read about lettuce opium!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2007 03:36AM by uma.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables