Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw cacao butter
Posted by: Petals ()
Date: January 19, 2007 09:32AM

I have been experimenting with raw cacao butter recently. It certainly is tasty, but I have a question that I have not been able to find answers to about it. Does any long term and knowlegable raw foodist know... and...

this is presuming the cacao butter consumation is in moderation not mass amounts!

1. Is this a healthy type of fat (medium chain ect) and....

are there any negatives attributed to it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw cacao butter
Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: January 19, 2007 10:23AM

I don't think there is a problem with it! It's quite highly saturated (but not as much as coconut butter), but I think the problem with saturated fats is when they are of animal origin.

See [www.nutritiondata.com]

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: samina ()
Date: January 19, 2007 06:27PM

yes, funky... the claims about saturated fats being bad for health apparently stem from those earlier studies not discriminating between saturated fats & trans-fats.

the lauric acid in coconut oil & cocoa butter is the saturated fat that gives the tendency toward solidity at cooler temperatures. but i would never put them in the same category with the other saturated fats that are found in animal products, or with those fats that are of plant origin but which have been hydrogenated.

i've been meaning to get some cocoa butter for a regular treat -- thanks for reminding me, petals!
grinning smiley

Posted by: Petals ()
Date: January 19, 2007 09:23PM

To both of you guys~ thanks for the link and the info!

So.... I am guessing the saturated fat in cacao butter does not clog arteries,in moderation, since it is not of animal orgin or hydrogenated ?

I am still a bit perplexed about that. The candy I made turned out wonderful and firm.

..... the butter I just got from natures first law,it just smells like heaven!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2007 09:36PM by Petals.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables