Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Dietary Lithium
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: January 26, 2022 12:36AM

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

The main sources of Li in the diet are cereals, potatoes, tomatoes, cabbage, and some mineral waters [44]. It may also be found in some spices such as nutmeg, coriander seeds, or cumin; however, their share in the total supply of this element is negligible in many geographic regions [49]. However, this may differ significantly depending on geographical location due to the uneven distribution of Li in the Earth’s crust and the fact that the content of this element in plants depends on its content in the ambient environment [23].

It is hypothesized that a very low Li intake can cause mood worsening and increase impulsiveness and nervousness [84].

One of the hypotheses of the normothymic action of Li in the doses taken with the diet assumes that it may be required for the transport and absorption of vitamin B12 and folates that are involved in neuromodulation and the normal course of biochemical transformations in the central nervous system. Thus, limited intake of Li could also inhibit action of these compounds [17, 23].

Some authors have suggested that optimal Li intake may have a protective effect on the nervous system and have a positive effect on mental health, through the anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects as well through the regulation of the metabolism of nervous system [35].

It is not officially considered a micronutrient, the minimum level of consumption necessary for maintaining health is unknown and not established [19, 41, 94].

There are no data on bioavailability of Li from individual foods, and in what chemical form the Li would be the most absorbable. The factors that may modify its absorption from food in the gastrointestinal tract are also poorly elucidated [17, 19].

Even though Li is not officially considered a micronutrient, according to some authors, it meets the criteria of this group. Considering the potential role of Li in the modulation of the nervous system function, it may be required for normal metabolism and neural communication—this hypothesis, however, requires further in-depth research investigating the mechanisms of action of trace doses of Li.

Li penetrates the interior of the cell mainly by simple diffusion through voltage-dependent sodium channels according to the concentration gradient. Its ions can easily pass through these channels as their permeability is almost equal to that of sodium;

The biochemical mechanism of Li action seems to be multifactorial and interdependent with the function of various enzymes, hormones, and vitamins [23]. Numerous studies conducted so far on the exact mechanism of its function in the human body still leave many gaps yet to be fully elucidated [1, 3, 7].

As observed, Li modulates the activity of glutamate, dopamine, serotonin, gamma-aminobutyric acid, acetylcholine, and glycine [3, 20]. It is also known that it can regulate intracellular processes stimulated by synaptic neurotransmitters by acting on phosphatidylinositol and adenylyl cyclase systems [25, 27–29].

The therapy with Li has also been shown to increase density of the gray matter and increase the size of the amygdala and hippocampus. Li is also known to stimulate the production of neural stem cells and has protective effects against oxidative stress and its consequences [25, 35].

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dietary Lithium
Posted by: Jennifer ()
Date: January 26, 2022 02:30PM

Oh, thanks! I didn't even know that food contained Lithium. I just thought it was some drug for people with depression or whatever.

I like to look up what food has the most of a vitamin or mineral or 'element' in it and then I would eat that food.

Like Quercetin for example, which supposedly is good for so-called 'Covid' -

93 Quercetin Rich Foods Ranked by Quercetin Density

[www.intake.health]

So people make their own Quercetin with Grapefruit peel. All Citrus peel contains Quercetin. So I made blended up Orange peel and the juice of the orange, like the whole thing except the seeds. It tasted very bitter on it's own, but I put a teaspoon a day in the raw fruit pudding that I make.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables