Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Iodine Deficiency
Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: June 14, 2023 10:22PM

Time to revisit this topic.

[pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Abstract

Iodine content in food of plant origin is lower in comparison with that of animal origin due to a low iodine concentration in soil. Urinary iodine excretion was assessed in 15 vegans, 31 lacto- and lacto-ovovegetarians and 35 adults on a mixed diet. Iodine excretion was significantly lower in alternative nutrition groups - 172 microg/l in vegetarians and 78 microg/l in vegans compared to 216 microg/l in subjects on a mixed diet. One fourth of the vegetarians and 80% of the vegans suffer from iodine deficiency (iodine excretion value below 100 microg/l) compared to 9% in the persons on a mixed nutrition. The results show that under conditions of alternative nutrition, there is a higher prevalence of iodine deficiency, which might be a consequence of exclusive or prevailing consumption of food of plant origin, no intake of fish and other sea products, as well as reduced iodine intake in the form of sea salt.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Iodine Deficiency
Posted by: Jennifer ()
Date: June 18, 2023 04:11PM

Sea Vegetables have plenty of iodine. Kelp is loaded with Iodine, in fact too much iodine. In looking up Iodine actually just now because I'm going to get my daughter some, I see that Iodine drops are made from Kelp. So maybe vegans and vegetarians should eat lots of sea vegetables and their iodine level would be better.

Maybe Iodine excreted in the urine is actually an indication of how much iodine is not utilized by the body, so less iodine is excreted in vegans, who eat sea vegetables - that are a more utililzed form of iodine - than in those who eat a mixed diet that includes fish, that maybe is not a bio-available form of iodine.

IDK.

Date: June 24, 2023 06:29PM

At least as far as most North Americans are concerned, except maybe for the ones living right on the coasts, eating seaweed is just not in our culture. I used to eat kombu; when my friends saw me wolfing down that slimy, well cooked stuff, they would make all kinds of rude noises indicating disgust. tongue sticking out smiley

You are probably right about the amount of iodine or any other element excreted (by anyone): does it mean that it is not being well digested or that it is so well digested that there's none left to excrete. I always wondered about this.

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: July 09, 2023 03:38PM

Jennifer
Sea Vegetables have plenty of iodine. Kelp is loaded with Iodine

Try getting fresh seaweeds from the sea and make a meal of them and serve your family. They would vomit,

These foods are not for human consumption as Doug Graham explained.

Date: July 10, 2023 07:23PM

@RP. Dulse (dried) is quite tasty. It is eaten by some coastal peoples in N. America.

Posted by: Jennifer ()
Date: July 13, 2023 09:14PM

Yes, I like sliced local tomatoes with the whole dulse - Maine Coast Sea Vegetables - on them. Yum!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables