Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Give me proof!
Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: January 19, 2007 07:47PM

I saw that Susan E. Schenck got alot of collected "proof" that the raw food is.. well, good for you.

What other books or sources do you suggest?

Is the "80/10/10" book good for scientific proof?

Just bring it on!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Give me proof!
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: January 19, 2007 07:50PM

>Is the "80/10/10" book good for scientific proof?

No.

>What other books or sources do you suggest?

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: January 19, 2007 08:02PM

Arugula is not speaking from her experience of reading "The 80/10/10 Diet". I doubt she will ever read the book. If you want to see an example of the source material that Doug used in his book, check out an earlier post I wrote.

-----------------
High-fat diet's causal role in blood-sugar metabolic disorders
Posted by: Bryan
Date: January 08, 2007 08:03PM

In another forum, Laurie Masters, the editor of "The 80/10/10 Diet", sent out a bunch of information about the relationship between fat and diabetes. For those of you suffering from candida, diabetes is the eventual outcome of candida if the source of the candida is not removed.

High-fat diet's causal role in blood-sugar metabolic disorders

Posted by: morrisson66 ()
Date: January 19, 2007 08:15PM

Gabriel Cousens has done a lot of research and you may find some interesting ideas in his books, Conscious Eating and Rainbow Green Live Food Cuisine. I found the latter a little more palatable to read though. Concious Eating is kind of old, copywright 2000. But not terribly so at all.

Posted by: khale ()
Date: January 19, 2007 10:16PM

What is the relationship between fat and candida Bryan?

Candida, according to my current understanding, indicates an over-acidification of the body, or microform overgrowth. Since most high acid foods come from animal products (the exception being cereal grains) then saturated fats follow. My point is that not all fats are saturated, nor do all come from animal products. I don't think its splitting hairs to question whether or not fats are the main culprits in candida or diabetes, even if saturated fats and animal products are.

See what I mean?

khale

Posted by: James Smith ()
Date: January 19, 2007 10:25PM

Date: January 19, 2007 10:46PM

Awesome video! Thanks James. My mother suffers from diabetes mellitus and I've been studying and researching trying to help her get control of the blood sugar.

Methinks I heard mention of avocados in this video.

Very inspiring. I can't wait to show it to Mom.

khale

Date: January 19, 2007 10:58PM

...and Bryan, I did read your previous post and the article cited in support of it. But again, if you go on a low-fat diet what gets eliminated? Meat,cheese, butter/margarine and etc, ie all animal products. All high-acid foods too btw.

So how can one determine whether the improvement comes from the weight loss, the elimination of saturated, or animal fats or high-acid foods, or fats, regardless of type, in general?

khale

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: January 20, 2007 12:14AM

You can only get compelling evidence, not the proof.smiling smiley

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 20, 2007 12:19AM

Check out Brian Clements books. They are
located in the store of Hippocrates Health
Institute's website. His new book 'Longevity'
is great.

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: January 20, 2007 12:56AM

HealthyBun,

Even 'science' is not proof. The scientific proofs of today just get overturned by the proofs of tomorrow. I call it 'science du jour'.

You need to look deeply into the methodology of the study. For instance, Dr. Gabriel Cousens cites an "O-ring" test used in his research. Sounds impressive, but the "O-ring" test is just muscle testing. The person tested puts two fingers together to make an 'O' and the tester tries to pull the fingers apart. I do not consider that a reliable way to test.

Even (especially!!?) mainstream research is not immune to shoddyness. For instance, much of the research on benefits of various dietary substances come from epidemiologists who study trends in populations. For example, the lower incidence of cancer in some Asian populations has been linked to green tea consumption, low meat consumption, and a variety of other dietary factors. But in some of the cultures, cancer or tumors were considered shameful and may have been under-reported. And other studies have linked social support with higher immunity/lower mortality, so who's to say it was green tea and not larger supportive families that resulted in lower cancer rates?

I love the idea of scientific research and think in theory at least it can tell us a lot. But most of the research I've read brings up more questions than it answers.

You will need to prove for yourself in the laboratory of your own experience what is best for you. The perfect food for your neighbor is not the perfect food for you.

Date: January 20, 2007 01:01AM

khale Wrote:
--
> So how can one determine whether the improvement
> comes from the weight loss, the elimination of
> saturated, or animal fats or high-acid foods, or
> fats, regardless of type, in general?
>
> khale

I think: (note: I am writing "I think" and not "I know"winking smiley

These these are very good questions.

There are no easy answers.

Many trials have shown benefits for type II diabetics
when they

-increase fiber
-decrease fats of various types or just in general
-decrease or eliminate meats
-use less heat, shorter cooking time, for food prep
-lose weight

I suspect the first and last are most important. But the
second to last (the part dealing with temperature) is
a pretty new idea and hasn't received as much attention
as it deserves.

Also, responding to Bryan's first post, I can find
no evidence that candida is causal for type II diabetes.
It's more likely that diabetes make one more predisposed
to developing it and more difficult to get eliminate.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: January 20, 2007 03:44AM

I never made a statement of a causal relationship. I said that if the cause of candida is not removed, and things get worse, diabetes is an eventual outcome (of course, you could die of a heart attack or be hit by a bus before you get diabetes).

Candida overgrowth is a symptom of insulin resistance. By the time you get insulin resistance, you are pretty well on your way to getting type 2 diabetes.

Also, suppressing candida symptoms will not prevent the damage that will result in diabetes. The typical way most people suppress the symptoms is to eat a low carb diet.

Posted by: taylor ()
Date: January 20, 2007 04:12AM

that video was very inspiring.i thank u for sharing it james smith.and i finally got to see cousens and david wolf.khale-i hope the video impresses upon your mom just what she can do to feel better. i was threatened by my dr. to put me on diabetes meds.it scared me too death.so i strted walking the 10,000 steps program and trying to do the raw thing.i have now lost 50 pounds since oct.18th-o6.i feel better than i ever have.and have become addicted to being outside and walking.it is hard to get motivated but to be in the pain i was in and not able to hobble down stairs and hurting all the time and heavy-it not,in my book quality living.since i have started this-my one daughter in calf. is walking and my brother in law who is very heavy and has hbp and gout-is getting busy with his diet now and his weight.so thanks-i am sending this video to him.taylor

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: January 20, 2007 06:09AM

I think it's good and it's very important for people to look for proof and share conclusions from whatever source,

BUT,

Greenie said, "You will need to prove for yourself in the laboratory of your own experience what is best for you".

Right on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2007 06:13AM by suncloud.

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: January 20, 2007 09:48AM

Yes, it is interesting that people ask me of the "proof", as the proof is the "all-mighty-truth" for everyone.

When I looking for the "proof" in my life, I think: "What would nature, or a small baby do in this situation?" 90% of the cases, the answers I get is coming out true.

I think also that the Biological Transmutation book is quite interesting. Anybody recommends it or disapprove it?

// Jacob

Date: January 20, 2007 10:33AM

Bryan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Arugula is not speaking from her experience of
> reading "The 80/10/10 Diet". I doubt she will ever
> read the
> book.[us.i1.yimg.com]
> leys2/01.gif

Yes, I will read it if someone wants to send it to me.
I will send it back after reading it.

But, I think the most interesting part would be the
reference list. A photocopy of those pages would be
nice! Or maybe somebody could scan them in and put them
up on a URL.

Date: January 20, 2007 06:11PM

Arugula wrote:

Many trials have shown benefits for type II diabetics
when they

-increase fiber
-decrease fats of various types or just in general
-decrease or eliminate meats
-use less heat, shorter cooking time, for food prep
-lose weight

I suspect the first and last are most important.

Perhaps. But weight loss, remember, if unexplained or unintentional, is also a symptom of illness, so I don't agree that it should be considered as important as the other three. That may seem to be me splitting hairs again, but weight loss comes naturally as a result of initiating the other recommendations and for diabetics, perhaps especially, it is as important HOW you lose weight as it is that you do.

Diabetics can lose weight on say Bob Greene's program, and perhaps lower blood sugar, but it is doubtful that they will be healed of diabetes mellitus by it.

Fiber is, of course, extremely important because it slows the absorption rate of glucose.

My mother does poorly on animal fats but quite well on natural, unprocessed, raw and whole fats such as those found in avocado, nuts and seeds. So, in my personal experience, natural plant derived fats are beneficial to diabetics and, in my opinion, most people (except for those who have difficulty metabolizing fats and some diabetics likely fall into this category because obesity is a major symptom of this)

anyway, thanks for the discussion. I really enjoy your posts Arugula.

khale

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 20, 2007 06:13PM

me too, i really enjoy your posts. i've been frequenting this site for so many years but i never stop learning new things. it's great.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables