Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Two Questions smiling smiley
Posted by: Pyratekk ()
Date: January 20, 2007 04:30PM

1. I have a friend who wants to go raw, but keeps saying she can't afford it (she's had some money problems recently so I understand where she's coming from). She wants to know if it's still worth eating raw if you can't buy everything organic. I told her I think that with things that typically are less saturated with pesticides (bananas for instance) it's fine, but that with other things I think organic would almost be mandatory - but I told her I wasn't sure about that. So, is it worth going raw if you can't eat 100% organic with it? And if you can eat non-organics, should you just be sure to get organics in fruits/veggies that are shown to have higher pesticide levels?

2. Completely random and not about the other question at all, haha. I'm new to this and was wondering what I could mix in with fruit juice to make it thicker like a sauce/dressing?

~Christi~
Natural Living Info
AP/NL mama to Jacob 10/25/2006

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Two Questions smiling smiley
Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: January 20, 2007 04:50PM

As for the first question, well, what are the alternatives? Eating organic cooked food? Organic is generally more expensive, period. I don't see the dilemma here. Suggest that your friend try it. Buy as much organic as possible. It's a good idea to emphasize foods that conventional growers use little or no agricultural chemicals on. But it's also a good idea not to eat too narrow a range of foods.

As for the second one, bananas are good for thickening sauces. Bananas are just good tasting in all ways, for me. Alternatives to bananas are flax seeds, but apparently they've got some serious down sides that Bryan can tell you about. Avocadoes, right? Seems to me I've blended the meatier kinds of seaweeds and they've had a mucousy quality. I may be wrong about this. I forget.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: January 20, 2007 04:54PM

If your friend isn't eating raw she is most likely eating non-organic as well as non-raw. Doesn't it make more since to eat, at the very least, the healthiest you can? Cooking doesn't remove the pesticides.

Bananas and avocados thicken up fruit.

Date: January 20, 2007 04:56PM

Sorry to be redundant. Troy and I were posting at the same time. I am just slower.

Posted by: khale ()
Date: January 20, 2007 05:17PM

Heavy Pesticide Food:

apples
nectarines
peaches
pears
cherries
grapes
raspberries
strawberries
bellpeppers (really bad)
celery (really bad)
spinach (really bad)
potatos

It is recommended that the above foods be purchased organic as they contain concentrated amounts of pesticides

Light Pesticide Foods

asparagus
avocado
banana
broccoli
cauliflower
kiwi
mango
onions
papaya
pineapple
peas

These foods are generally considered safe to consume as non-organic

khale

Date: January 20, 2007 05:31PM

What about thckening with soaked dates or soaked raisins?

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: January 20, 2007 05:44PM

I'd say that eating raw is a lot more important than eating organic. Obviously eat as much organic as you can afford, but don't strees about it.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Date: January 20, 2007 06:12PM

I asked her what the alternative to eating raw and mostly non-organic was and she said that she only eats organic now in things that she absolutely feels she NEEDS to (those with heavy pesticides), and that a lot of times she avoids buying fruits/veggies she loves because she can't afford the organic versions. So basically she wouldn't be able to afford much organic either way - she just thinks that it would still be healthier to eat raw and some non-organic than cooked some some non-organic.

And thanks Rob, that was generally what I told her - that get organic on the foods that matter but if she can't afford it she just can't afford it.

~Christi~
Natural Living Info

Posted by: mallow ()
Date: January 20, 2007 08:08PM

Is your friend vegan?

Animal feed is not organic unless you buy super-expensive organic animal products. Your friend would be better off pesticide-wise to become vegan (better yet, raw vegan) andeat only conventional produce, in my opinion. Dropping animal products will greatly reduce her pesticide intake.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: January 20, 2007 09:01PM

As for other relatively clean non-organic fruits: figs and persimmons.

Date: January 20, 2007 10:01PM

Thanks everyone!
I'm going to remake my cucumber fettuccine with orange sauce later (I found the recipe somewhere on line a bit ago - I just wished the orange sauce was thicker) and add a banana because I have a ton of those right now smiling smiley

~Christi~
Natural Living Info

Date: January 20, 2007 10:29PM

Be careful of food combining: mixing sweet fruits (bananas for example) and sour fruits (sour oranges for example). I know people who can drink a banana-orange smoothie and not having any trouble. But I've tried it and didn't feel so good afterwards.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: January 20, 2007 10:34PM

avocado is a good thickener too.. makes it like pudding.

Posted by: James Smith ()
Date: January 21, 2007 12:47AM

Here is a list of foods by pesticide load. (Scroll to the bottom.)

[209.85.165.104]
(That's Google cache. The website is not loading for some reason.)

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: January 21, 2007 07:09AM

I drink banana orange all the time, its bad food ombining? I didn't know, lol..

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: January 21, 2007 11:49AM

coconutcream Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I drink banana orange all the time, its bad food
> ombining? I didn't know, lol..

Not if it works for you! I'm sure I break many food combining rules but I'm happy.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Date: January 21, 2007 12:44PM

Yeah, sweet fruits with sour fruits. In small quantities, I think we can get away with pretty much anything. I tried it once but not just a little bit. I couldn't believe it when I saw a friend drink a banana orange smoothie and get away with it! So I decided to try it but ....

Date: January 21, 2007 02:46PM

Yea I love banana/orange smoothies so I'll be fine smiling smiley
Plus I'm not big on avocados - just one of those things I can't seem to get a taste for.

~Christi~
Natural Living Info

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables