Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Raw food/fruitarian, who has BFF 's, Friends that are like you
Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: January 26, 2007 07:49PM

Who has friends , you hang out with and are like buddies with, that eat like you. I mean, I do not know any besides the internet..I mean, I go to potlucks and stuff but don't really connect with anyone.I want to know if you all have friends that eat like you , you go out with and stuff. I want to be inspired.
I did have friends working at the tree, but there were moments too..I dream of having good raw friends. It seems like internet "friendships" comes and goes so fast..I need friends in the real world

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw food/fruitarian, who has BFF 's, Friends that are like you
Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: January 26, 2007 08:02PM

What's a BFF?

Just about all my friends are excited to eat raw food when they hang out with me. I make it clear that they can eat whatever they want, that they don't have to eat raw vegan, if they want to eat meat, I won't be offended. In fact I'm offended if somebody feels uncomfortable eating what they want around me.

But, I don't really know anybody in my social circles that eats raw all the time.

Cheers,
Ian.

Posted by: Yogamama ()
Date: January 26, 2007 08:32PM

BFF - I feel like I am in high school again when I hear that. It cracks me up.

I do not have any friends that eat like me. I have lots of friends from my Yoga classes that eat vegetarian or vegan, but I am the only raw person in the group.

Oh, and Ian - BFF = Best Friends Forever.

Posted by: na(raw)dia ()
Date: January 26, 2007 09:12PM

Me neither... sad smiley

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: January 26, 2007 09:31PM

I'd say more than half of my friend are raw (like 80% or more).

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: January 26, 2007 10:32PM

Internet friendship can develop into a real-world friendship. Personally, I have developed bond with some on-line friends whom I never met, and probably will meet only some of them, sometime. Also, I met some of them in real life! We had a raw party in the Botanical Gardens in Hobart, and this was great. Another one is coming soon. Internet is just means for communication, as is phone, letters, etc. I see no barrier.

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: January 26, 2007 10:49PM

I'm sure you'll get a chance to meet some folks in person. smiling smiley I mean....if it means that much...nothing's stopping you from hopping a plane or renting a car to come visit whoever is closest to you! Ha! ha!

-David Z. Mason

Posted by: alicenubby ()
Date: January 26, 2007 10:51PM

I have ONE friend....the one person who inspired me to try this way of life/diet. Someone told me that eating raw is isolating.but this is coming from a meat/bread eater. interesting

Posted by: JGex ()
Date: January 26, 2007 11:05PM

I have lots of vegan and veggie friends, but I don't know of any that are raw.

I am going to a raw potluck tommorrow & one of the ladies is from the town I live in. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we "hit it off" as it would be fabu to have another rawie in the same town.

Judy

Posted by: RawSun ()
Date: January 27, 2007 01:03AM

I wish!!! I just try and convert everyone I know onto Raw foods... Surprisingly that seems to be working better than when I was just promoting Veganism. I think people like Raw better because it benefits them personally to a greater degree, and helping the animals and the planet are more of afterthoughts. But in all my years as a vegan, I've never felt so great as I do now that I am raw!

Posted by: lemoned ()
Date: January 27, 2007 02:39AM

I wish I had a raw bff but then again, it's not something I long for. Otherwise I'd already have connected with rawfoodies in my area (California=there's quite a few). Rawfoods and the details of the raw life don't take that much part of my life.

Posted by: uma ()
Date: January 27, 2007 03:43AM

I had more raw friends to go out with when I lived in SF. Now I live in the stix. I still have a few friends that are raw and a couple of them live where I do. It does help me to have someone to hang out and mono-eat with, or to share durian with, or to make a raw gourmet feast with. I am really grateful for this.

I have one friend who, when he first started raw and was going through detox and all that stuff, people were so worried and talked like "i don't think that's working for him" or "something's wrong... he doesn't know what he's doing...". But once he broke through to the other side and now he glows and is the healthiest person I know, people changed their tune. They now ask HIM for health advice/input.

So from what I can see, it's not about trying to convert your friends, but rather working on yourself until you really glow and people around you will want to be more like you, so then you'll have more raw friends! smiling smiley

We live out in the rural boonies, so we make it a point to semi-regularly travel to SF for raw potlucks or restaurants; or take a tropical vacation and seek out fellow fruit fanatics; or go to raw food festivals or expos--there are lots of them.

By the way I don't have personal experience but I can say from the positive experiences of some relatives, that internet dating seems to have a high success rate. Aren't there some raw personals somewhere? winking smiley

Suvine, you say you go to potlucks.. are there any raw restaurants near where you live? There tends to be some funky, fun folk working at those places, at least on the West Coast.

Love,
Uma

Posted by: morrisson66 ()
Date: January 27, 2007 04:52AM

No friends here.. only my wife and she struggles a lot, despite being much thinner than me, with emotional eating. We are essentially raw, which means we are about 80% or so. There is one lady in town where I live who is raw but when I told her my plans for doing stuff here she stopped talking to me and 2 months later started doing raw classes and making a raw food business here, which was my plan. Plus her son came over once and destroyed my daughter's room, broke her toys and I never wanted to see him again.

that's about it but it's a small town... there are people who will visit you for sure. I for one plan on bringing my family down to the Miami area within the next year or so to see if we like it there. David Zane Mason is close enough but I know what you mean. It would be nice to have someone to go out for a juice with instead of drinking water or soda water with lemon while everyone drinks beer.

It's strange to think that there are only 2 or 3 other raw foodists or frutarians here in my town

Posted by: uti ()
Date: January 27, 2007 04:56AM

coconutcream Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>..I need friends in the real world

Coconutcream,

Sounds like you need a road trip! Or a Raw Vision Quest to see if you can redefine your "real world". Make it totally different from the way you've traveled so far. Expand your comfort zone.

Here's my suggestion. How about connecting with all your internet friends and making plans to visit as many of them as possible. Ask people here if they'd be willing to have you visit and see how many invitations you get. Keep the visits under 3 days. Why? Because an ancient Chinese proverb states that fish and houseguests begin to "smell" after 3 days. Give everyone you visit a gift of an energy exchange: some fruit perhaps or some of your wonderful photos, whatever, it's not about the monetary value, it comes from the heart place.

Focus on the most positive aspect of each of their lives. Take all those positives and put them into your own spiritual blender, consume that and see how your Raw life is enhanced by your collective experiences. Make it your prime directive to ignore the negatives you observe.

I like this idea, I may have to try it myself!

Love you CC,

Date: January 27, 2007 05:04AM

Morrison66, that is too funny..

or for me, order sliced tomatoes while everyone eats steak..

I would love to have someone share my meals, I eat alot becase there is so much left over. Sometimes i make a smoothie so large I have to keep the blender part in the fridge filled up.

I have met some raw foodists guys and well, I am so used to a certain thing it is hard to find my type in the raw world. I like macho, wealthy, good looking, shaven, lawyers..mmm.
'
Oh great now I am missing my you know who, who did you know what..sad again. He ate meat all the time. Sometimes I made it for him or bought it for him.

Its rank, I know. It is..I long for beauty and for a man who eats pure Like me. and does not think it is for just hippies or yoga people.

I do not want to settle for less either. I want big house, workaholic husband, kids, private schools etc..

did have some raw girlfriends before,my boyfriend and her got a little too close, although I am sure it was harmless, I wasn't into it..

I would find her hottubbing naked with a bunch of guys sometimes and think well, it was weird..

I had ome raw girlfriends at the tree of life. I think the heavy nuts there made veerybody a little uncomfortable and there was back biting and nasty stuff..jealousies..

I have some raw food friends in Homestead, but the guy likes me like that and he was so aggressive and kind of rude.. he basically came out and said we should have sex, to try, aftr I told him I was not into it at all.

There was a few senior citizen potluck ladies who called me all the time and wanted to go out, but it was weird..

Therewas a raw lady who did the Robert O young thing and gave lectures, she is married and has a large house, but we never hit it off..She was very different from me..

I used to work on Glaser Farms and Tracy and Stan were really mean people who were always fighting and cops were sometimes called..the workers there were all mexican and ate the grossest food and then they made raw food....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2007 05:09AM by coconutcream.

Date: January 27, 2007 05:11AM

Uti you ar eright i need to focus on positive, thank you for reminding me

I would love to meet all you guys on a retreat or something, i am thinking durian festival..

Posted by: singinraw ()
Date: January 27, 2007 06:06AM

I don't have any friends around here that are into healthfoods at all. All friends I have around here I could go out and hang out with eat at Mcdonalds and drink and well you know that kinda life. It makes it really hard to stay on track too cause whenever I do go out I always get into stuff then feel all sick and uncomfortable and stuff.

Posted by: ThomasLantern ()
Date: January 27, 2007 06:08AM

One of my best friends is into raw foods. He's also my bandmate grinning smiley

Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: January 27, 2007 10:31AM

I just met a guy today, who is, I think, 100% raw, though not vegan. We'll meet again tomorrow. We're both English teachers on a small island in South Korea. There aren't even many vegetarians here, I was surprised to find a rawie.

I myself am not 100% raw, nor consistently vegan. If I had a friend, I might, stress might, be more consistently raw and / or more consistently vegan.

Uti, I, like you coconutcream, like the idea of radically changing my world. I'm in a contemplative mood tonight. Let's see what I can come up with.

Coconutcream, why not put this out there (to some select people): welcome them for a visit. And (maybe also to a select group) ask if you can visit them. But don't stink up each other's homes!!

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Posted by: morrisson66 ()
Date: January 27, 2007 02:23PM

coconut... hey feel free to come visit me and the family this summer in Seattle. It's a pretty magical place in the summer. Plus in the latter half they grow tons of cherries and peaches!!! Oh man they are good!...

Also, I think it's reasonable to want what you want in its entirety. That's what I want.. although I don't really dig the workaholic husband or wife thing. I don't think it's necessary.

My business partner smokes, eats meat like a fiend and bitches about pennsylvania possibly going non-smoking even though he plans to quit.

I think positive people are a rarity and are a beautiful thing. blah blah blah.. smiling smiley

Hey is florida smoke free? I would love to actually be able to sing and play in a band again and not feel like I'm going to die of smoke inhilation.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: January 27, 2007 05:51PM

Yeah. Florida has it's own clean indoor air act that prohibits smoking in almost all places of business.

-David Z. Mason

Posted by: learningtofly ()
Date: January 27, 2007 08:45PM

coconutcream Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am so used to a certain thing it is hard to find my
> type in the raw world. I like macho, wealthy, good
> looking, shaven, lawyers..mmm.

As a raw foodist, be careful what you wish for.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: January 27, 2007 09:46PM

I was thinking the same thing. Such a person would not appeal to me in the least. I mean, there's nothing wrong with *having* money, but people who have money also tend to spend it. That means more travel, more stuff, more goods and service, more fossil fuel use, more global warming, an accelerated destruction of the biosphere. There are consequences with every choice, every purchase.

For someone who professes to have strong vegan convictions I see a big clash here. A lot more animals will die horrible deaths if we don't stop the destruction. Factory farming deaths will pale in comparison.

Maybe with time one's views can become wider in scope and one's "type" can change.

I'd rather have a vegan with a simple life. I could care less whether he shaves or not or whether he does yoga or not. I don't care if he has money, either. But if he has an expensive sports car and/or SUV, wears expensive suits, dines out a lot at fancy restaurants, etc. that would turn me off in a big way. I can't turn off the CO2 emissions calculator in my head. It is always running, running.

Date: January 27, 2007 10:30PM

LOL learning to fly..yes one of lifes two tragedies is 1: not getting what you want, the other, 2:is getting it..I want to be coral gables barbie..I want it sooo bad guys..

GABLES BARBIE:
This most expensive princess Barbie is sold only at Merrick Park. She comes with an assortment of Louis Vuitton handbags, a Lexus SUV, a long-haired foreign dog named Honey and a Mediterrannean style house. Available with or without tummy tuck and face lift. Workaholic Lawyer Ken sold only in conjunction with the augmented version.

Posted by: learningtofly ()
Date: January 27, 2007 10:53PM

I actually know a rawish guy just like your description who lives in south Florida. Not kidding! We were friends when I used to live there. He doesn't live in Coral Gables though -- Broward County.

O.J. Simpson is in Coral Gables though if you're really hard up.

Posted by: Ariannah ()
Date: January 27, 2007 11:54PM

I am the only raw foodist I know of in real life.

I kind of don't mind it, because I don't get out socially with many people where food is involved.

I'm in Nova Scotia.

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: January 28, 2007 12:00AM

I have no social life. Recently I made a post on another board looking for someone that's into the same type of stuff as I am (not raw related) and had a couple good replies. I'm still hesitating on replying now that I know they're typical SADers. The thought of hanging out with someone and them talking about stopping for a burger or even some so called healthy food like Subway.. makes me cringe.

Posted by: ThomasLantern ()
Date: January 28, 2007 04:02AM

Miss Coconut, you can change your life, and your mind, and what you want. I hope things work out either way, for you (and everyone else!)

Posted by: uma ()
Date: January 28, 2007 04:08AM

Coconut Cream, maybe you'd like the raw food scene in LA? It seems to be popular in the hollywood scene. Not all yoga hippies there! winking smiley Go visit Juliano's restaurant, I hear it is a very hot place to be. There'd probably be some cuties there.

Maybe you could meet Alicia Silverstone. She is into raw and animal rights. (well, she used to be raw, i don't know if she still is?) She is friends with Juliano. There's a whole thing going on. A friend of mine worked for Juliano for a while. He had private dinner parties. From what I can tell there seems to be a scene in LA of rich, beautiful folks interested in raw food and health, and animal rights and the environment.

Love,
Uma

Posted by: singinraw ()
Date: January 28, 2007 05:35AM

Hi LikeItOrNot,
I know what you mean. I have no social life either. I could have one I guess if I wanted it would be just with people going for beers and burgers and all that kinda stuff though. I've longed for so long for friends who had my kind of intersts I never had any though friends I've had would get very angry if I talked about anything I really did like music tv or anything nobody ever liked what I liked I always had to try and act like I liked what they liked its been depressing why can't I have friends I can be myself with

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables