Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Raw food/fruitarian, who has BFF 's, Friends that are like you
Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: January 28, 2007 05:52AM

I am coming to Los Angeles. I think I will like it. I am not sure when I will visit. I need to take care of some things. I bet Tokyo has a raw scene , a big one..no?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: taylor ()
Date: January 28, 2007 06:33AM

well-when i was into crocheting alot,I met a fellow crocheter thru the web and we went out to dinner and to her house.Me and hubby and her hubby and her.It was alot fo fun.She does not live far from me.Mike on this site gave me the Portland site that has the days there is raw potlucks. I would love to go to that.Just to see what it is about.I don't know what i would take as a contribution.I am in a family where i have to cook meat for everyone and everyone smokes and chews.agh.MY daughter whipped out a cigarette and started smoking.agh!made me have a headache.i just be quiet and cook. When we use to belong to our church,we got invited to peoples homes and boy! that was interesting. Alot of people in our church are vegetarians or vegans or food rawist.well-we went to these couples home.ex missionaries.He was a pickle at church...always laughing and telling everyone he loves sugar.She was real devout.Well at her home...she had all her healthy foods displayed in big gal.jars and then she went into her cupboard(where she tried to open it with just her arm smugly stuck in the door to try and get something out so i would not see) where i happened to be.There was sugar pops. and all these sugar cereals of which she was trying ot hide.so often people in our church will set themselfs up with this high standard and then i would see them in plush pipin stuffing pie in there mouth and drinking coffee. So i figure I would love to visit a raw foodist potluck but I really don't care what a person eats...but I don't know what BFF is either.taylor

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: January 28, 2007 10:52AM

Cocconutcream, are you moving to L.A. for the long term or as a holiday?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 28, 2007 10:07PM

Coconutcream. First let me tell you that I have been following your posts here and elsewhere for almost a year. I am more of a reader, not a poster, but after keeping track of this thread for a few days I want that to change. I finally registered so I could make this post.

Blaze your own trail! There are no "experts" in raw veganism. Only people that act like "experts". Most of these people are just good salespersons. Their knowledge is absed on what they want to portray. Your experiences have proven that the way you eat is right and correct. Listen and learn from others opinions and criticisms. but do not let them affect your successes.

I really appreciate reading your experiences. I appreciate your having the courage to actually admit your social likes and dislikes. And, if you admire people that are successful in life, do not let those less successful make you feel badly for that. It's their way of equalizing their lack of success in life.

Again. Thank you so much for what you write and thank you for letting me break the ice of posting on the internet. I have so much more to write!

Posted by: morrisson66 ()
Date: January 28, 2007 11:41PM

rawran... well said and I couldn't agree more. Thanks for signing up and posting.

Date: January 29, 2007 08:47PM

Hey folks. I would like to go to LA to see all the scene and eat at raw restaurants and have juices..

I would like to meet raw people, I would. I would like that. To be around high energy.

Some guy just aske dme to go out to eat with him at Capital Grille. I didn't even tell him what I was, said no. He said, hey we can go party and clubbing, and I was like, ugh..ugh

I want to say yes to juices, dancing , pollution free..ocean, beaches. tree climbing..etc

Date: January 29, 2007 09:12PM

Suvine,

if you accept nothing less than what you truly want.. then eventually you will get it..

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: January 29, 2007 10:25PM

I am 20 years into most of my friendships and I have been evolving toward my lifestyle while my friends and family observed. I do have a BFF that I have known since I was four. She and her husband are both very unhealthy and decided to add raw to their diet since seeing the results my family has had. I can't tell you how great it is. She is a born raw recipe creater. We live two hours apart and sleepovers are usually what our visits consist of. We try all kinds of new raw dishes and make up our own. She took Tahini cheese, pico de gallo, olive juice and avocado; mixed it up and put it on a pablano pepper, so yummy.

Coconutcream,
I am going to sound a little deep here so please bear with me. Growing up I had a picture of the man I was going to marry. Some very specific things about him. Blond hair, blue eyes, a name starting with a D and wore flannel shirts. These are not preferences, but things I knew instinctually somehow. I grew up thinking this was childhood fantasy. I met a man with dark hair and fell in love and married him. He was successful and funny. We got along great. About four years into it I was so tired of all the compromises I was making. I started to feel like I was a shadow of the person I had wanted be. I met another man and within two months left my husband in hopes I could be with this other man. We have been married fifteen years now. It wasn't until I was well into our relationship that I realized he was all the things I had envisioned in my youth. We are so suited for eachother and never would have known that in the beginning. We both have changed so much. We were both meateaters. We never had even heard of homeschool. I think when you say what you are attracted to you have to think deep inside "is this how my soul mate will be when I find him? is this how he is "packaged"? is that why I am looking for this type of partner, or is it a superficial reason?" The most important job of a mother is picking out the father. So be patient, you will know when he comes along and don't settle for less. If you ever want to visit us, our door is open. You already have a five year old admirer here smiling smiley. Good Luck in your quest.

With Love,
Kise'

Date: January 30, 2007 12:45AM

pakd4fun...

same thing happened to me.. I've always had a picture of who I would be with since childhood. I married someone else I really likeed and it went down the crapper... 3 years later I met my wife.. we were engaged 6 weeks after meeting... good stuff.. that was 8 years ago.. stuff keeps getting better. she was vegan when I met her.

Coconut's on a questy... a questy I say.. love the questy.. be the questy... LOL

Date: January 30, 2007 05:32AM

I loveu packed 4 fun, I do and I believe in your words, so much, oh if you only knew .

Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: January 30, 2007 07:48AM

No, I hang with the regular folks... it doesn't bother me. They usually start off saying, "I'm worried about your diet" then it's almost funny, like clock work, soon, they are telling me, about how they bought blueberries or greens at the store..... They actually like the health food restaurants, which makes it nice, because, otherwise,if we go to a regular restaraunt, I'll sit there and have nothing or a cup of peppermint tea. I did ditch one guy, who kept ridiculing my food, as he coughed, smoking his cigarette, like an annoying squaking parrot that I soon wanted to throw a blanket over the cage. I hope he learned a valuble lesson.

Posted by: Ariannah ()
Date: January 30, 2007 03:06PM

In my day to day life, I tend to be a closet raw fooder. I don't go out much socially, but when I do, I opt out of social events where the opportunity to compare what's on one person's plate vs another presents itself.

I like to just eat what I eat, and live joyfully. And with every person I encounter, to have the situation be about shared interests and goals and hopes, not about food and lifestyle.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: January 30, 2007 03:38PM

Hey Coco:

-If you get down Miami way on a Saturday, let me know and I'll head down and we can hit fruit & spice park...get some fresh OJ....and head over to Glaser's Market and maybe hit the beach for a swim n' sun! smiling smiley

-If you feel unconfortable with just me...that's cool.....just let me know and my Mom will tag along! Ha! ha! She LOVES that sort of stuff! She's a blast.

-David Z. Mason

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: January 30, 2007 03:55PM

I love and admire you coconutcream. You are sweet and brave. You are going through a hard time but you will come out stronger.

Posted by: Yogamama ()
Date: January 30, 2007 04:16PM

pakd4fun Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

The most important job of a
> mother is picking out the father. So be patient,
> you will know when he comes along and don't settle
> for less. If you ever want to visit us, our door
> is open. You already have a five year old admirer
> here smiling smiley. Good Luck in your quest.
>
> With Love,
> Kise'

paked4fun, I couldn't agree with you more! I had an idea of the man I wanted to marry, and I refused to settle for anything less. I was engaged two times before meeting my current husband. And I am so glad I didn't marry either of those two men that I was engaged to! I would have just been settling for "good enough". My husband is truly the most amazing husband and father - our daughter just adores him. And so do I. I couldn't have picked a better husband.

So, coconutcream, don't settle for anything less than what you really want. Be patient...it WILL happen. Hang in there..I know you are going through a tough time. You are always welcome to come and visit me and my family, However, it is -4 degrees here today, so you may want to wait until Summer. We are in the process of buying a farm, and will have a HUGE organic garden in Spring. Lots of yummy stuff! And lots of cute animals to play with.

Posted by: jadedshade ()
Date: January 30, 2007 04:57PM

I don't know anyone in outside of the internet who eats like me at all. I hardly know any vegetarian's, and I don't know any other vegans.

Phil.

--------------------------------------------------

"Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it" (Chinese Proverb)

Posted by: AVOJAMACADA ()
Date: January 30, 2007 05:16PM

Haha yeah Phill-ditto man.
Northern Canada doesen't exactly support this lifestyle.But hey-only the strong shall thrive!!

See you at the top....Dorian.

See you at the top!!

Date: January 30, 2007 08:14PM

Dave mason I will hang with you, my mom and your mom, let's do it, I will bring my camera. Are there fruits yet?

Posted by: red_willow ()
Date: January 30, 2007 08:17PM

Oh no! I don't have any friends who are vegetarians. Most of my closest friends eat meat, smoke cigarettes, drink tons of alcohol, etc... At the current moment I'm facing some ridicule amongst my friends and also my husband. My friends say I have an eating disorder, lol! This is despite the fact that they are agog at how good I've been looking lately!!! So, I'm in the market for some new friends too!

If you're coming to L.A. swing by my house! A new raw vegan restaurant opened up around the corner and I haven't even been there yet. I think my husband would rather gauge out his own eyeball than even try it. Although my daughter is slowly warming up to this type of eating.

Posted by: na(raw)dia ()
Date: January 30, 2007 10:16PM

Coconutcream,

I understand where you are coming from. I don't find to many raw foodies that are still into makeup, fashion, clothes, taking trips, fancy hangouts, etc. etc. I still enjoy those things, while in my observation most raw foodists are complete opposite (sort of hippi like).
You've got these two worlds, one is a life of luxury (as defined) and the other is a very simple minial lifestyle and you have a little bit of both of those worlds but don't fit in either one. I feel lost sometimes.

LA is not so bad (except the cars!!!), you may like it.

Date: January 30, 2007 10:40PM

na(raw)dia

yep and very lucid points

Posted by: violetpetals ()
Date: January 30, 2007 10:46PM

Dear Coconutcream,

When I worked in the coporate world (for 20 years) it was a very lonely place for me and I felt out of place. I was clearly the only one who ate healthy and was made fun of quite a bit. I think it was my journey then to learn to not take things personally. I have since left almost 7 seven ago to pursue my Dharma after my Yoga teacher training and a new path opened for me. I could go on and write volumes. The yoga and healing arts community and my path of being a healthy vegetarian lend itself to a much more comfortable place for me.

I am a member of the Holistic Moms Network as I have a two year old. There is a much more open and holistic approach to child rearing amoung like-minded people. While most members are not raw there are a few who are and from these few I became inspired to take the totally raw foods journey. Even though I have considered and tried many years ago. And I have met some wonderful friends.

You may want to start your own group to meet like-minded people.

Also, have you watched the DVD "The Secret"? The premise focuses on the "Law of Attraction" = "What we think, becomes things". THe book by Sarah Ban Breathnach Simple Abundance has a section on creating a Treasure Map. I have had many miracles happen to me based on these theories. This will and can bring you the relationships you trully want and need.

I love Uti's idea if visiting others and sharing with others.

Anyway this is my .02 for now.

Good Luck!

Adrianne

Date: January 30, 2007 11:05PM

Ha! ha! Sounds good! I'll call and check out what's ripe now! Just drop me an e-mail and let me know when you're going to be in town. Otherwise I'll be down either Feb 10th or can come down the following Sat. on the 17th! Should be fun! Ooo hey....I got a Barnes n' Noble Gift Certificate we can blow! smiling smiley

-David Z. Mason

Posted by: ela ()
Date: January 31, 2007 05:03AM

Living in the Bay Area, I'm so fortunate to have many raw friends. I participate in the community as much as I can and it has given me so much. I've also made friends going to retreats - most recently Frederic Patenaude's in Costa Rica, from which I just returned - met some wonderful people there. I love my internet cronies and relationships but real life it is such fun to have friends who also enjoy rawstuff.

On the other hand, I also have good friends who are not into raw at all. Like others have shared in this thread, they are generally appreciative of any opportunity to taste my creations and if there was scepticism in the initial stages, they usually end up getting more into raw food just like that. I've always had a 'different' diet even before raw, so although I wouldn't say it's never an issue, it's something I'm used to.

But as for relationships, 'raw' is just the start. I've had a 'raw' relationship now and honestly think that this person might be happier if he ate the cooked foods that he constantly craves. It's fun and very convenient to live with another rawfooder, but it's really shown me that there's far more to being a rawfooder than eating 100% raw foods. Without the rest of it - the self work, the commitment to finding one's joy, the getting outside and doing physical stuff, it doesn't really bring joy. I'm excited that I'm going to be moving imminently into another raw household!

Suvine, you are brave and honest, and it is good to see you share. All the best of luck to you.
And David Mason, I really want and intend to come visit you sometime too! I'm on the wrong coast but it will happen!
love
Ela

seeing is freeing
hearing is clearing
feeling is healing

Date: January 31, 2007 05:21AM

you guys are so lucky.

Sometimes I have taken raw food retreats where raw food families abound
and it is kind of like big loving group.

It seems nice.

Posted by: Yogamama ()
Date: January 31, 2007 03:30PM

>
> I am a member of the Holistic Moms Network as I
> have a two year old. There is a much more open and
> holistic approach to child rearing amoung
> like-minded people. While most members are not raw
> there are a few who are and from these few I
> became inspired to take the totally raw foods
> journey.

What is the Holistic Moms Network, and how do I join? I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks - Kim

Date: January 31, 2007 10:50PM

hey I am bringing my mom to this if anybody wants to come to this potluck, sign up at miami organic raw food meetup:

The Miami Organic Raw Food February Meetup
« back to calendar

When:
Saturday, February 10, 2007, 2:00 PM 20070210T190000Z
Where:
Global Spirits Studio (at wynwood lofts)
250 NW 23rd ST 204a
Miami , FL 33127
Info/Map
Description:
Hello everyone,

I am happy to organize this event, and come together to share our experiences with the RAW foods diet.

Format:
RAW food potluck and presentation with interactive discussion.

I see there are some veterans and new raw foodists interested in a meetup, so in an effort to make it interesting for all, I propose the veterans come and share experiences, tips, recipes and tools to be a happy RAW foodist living in South Florida. Like a show and tell, which will keep it interactive and FUN!!!

As we all know, support is important to stay Raw, so bring your best stories, questions and most important a BIG SMILE!!!!!

Please email me at livingfood@mac.com to give suggestions.

It will be a RAWesome experience!!

The location is at an art studio in the Miami design district.

Thanks
~ Eric

Event fee:
USD5.00 per person

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2007 10:52PM by coconutcream.

Date: January 31, 2007 11:27PM

Sounds good Coco! I'll make the time to be down on the 10th, so I'll see you there! I'll be the guy with the fresh pineapple! (And I'll probably just wear my nametag to keep it simple! Ha! ha!). I look forward to getting a chance to meet you.

-Hey: I saw some of your pics. Isn't Venetian Pools awesome? I remember doing it all the time when I was a kid. Later they closed off the cliffs so you couldn't dive. Last time I was there, though, I dived off them anyway and they kicked me out! Ha! ha!

-David Z. Mason

Posted by: violetpetals ()
Date: February 01, 2007 02:58AM

For Holistic Moms Network visit www.holisticmoms.org. Let me know if you have further questions.

Good Luck!

Posted by: trinity082482 ()
Date: February 01, 2007 04:01AM

One of my close friends was vegan and now vegetarian but she cooks her food. She never heard of the raw life style until I told her I was going raw, 60 days ago.
She gets excited and she has bought books about it and she has gone to restaurants and bought raw meals. She is supportive and doesn't make me feel odd for eating like I do. I feel pretty luck.

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables