Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Questions on fruits (bananas)
Posted by: blue_sky ()
Date: January 28, 2007 11:59AM

Hi guys and gals,

I've some questions about bananas here and I hope you people can give me some of your opinions.
(1) It may sounds a bit funny but I heard that we should be eating whole banana, without peeling the skin, because eating only the fresh can be acidic. True?
(2) Some people dislike bananas because bananas without seeds is hybridized, which have low energy level. But I thought that hybridization is a natural process in nature, right? I lived in Malaysia and banana trees are very common here. We don't used to plant them ourselves because a new banana tree will grow itself next to the old one. This is still considered as natural, am I right?

The Fruitarian One, I'm a big fan of yours(and Bryan's, too!)! I read about your interview on net. You mentioned that you eat only seeded fruits, so does it include commonly sold bananas which is seedless? You also said that you eat mono with watermelon during summer, but commercially sold watermelons are hybridized and contain soft, white seeds intead of hard, black ones. Is it okay for you?

Lastly, is frozen fruits okay to eat?

Thank you very much for the time you spent on my questions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Questions on fruits (bananas)
Posted by: rawrnr ()
Date: January 28, 2007 04:38PM

great question..I will follow this..

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 28, 2007 06:08PM

I have to admit I am not the Fruitarian One or Bryan, they will provide you more info on this topic but here are some links that may be of interest

Hybrid fruit
[www.pioneerthinking.com]

Frozen food
[www.rawfoodexplained.com]

Posted by: khale ()
Date: January 28, 2007 07:17PM

As for eating the banana whole: I wouldn't eat the peeling, but the white, stringy stuff near the peel is very important to eat as it is very nutritious and provides enzymes that help digest the fruit. Christopher Vasey, N.D. says this of all fruit. The seeds and the peel provide enzymes that help in the assimilation and digestion of its own "fruit" or pulp, so its good to include these. Obviously mango seeds are too tough to chew, but the peeling is good and etc. Apple seeds and peel is good and so are grape seeds and peels.

Personally, I use frozen fruit occasionally in smoothies. I usually keep frozen wild blueberries on hand and other berries to use on those "need to go to the grocery" days.

In my opinion, and this is only my opinion, if something grows in my backyard that's edible I eat it. This is throwback from my study of macrobiotics I suppose, but if a food is local and natural it is probably harmonious with your body.

khale

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: January 28, 2007 07:40PM

I don't eat the banana skin. But when a banana gets really ripe, its skin loses all of its hard cellulose and becomes paper thin. To me, it seems edible at this point.

Hybridization occurs naturally. One has to go to extreme lengths to prevent this. Some asked on vegsource today about hybridized fruit. You can read Doug's response.

As for seeded fruits, I prefer the taste of seeded watermelons over seedless watermelons. They are sweeter, juicier, and have more flavor. For things like tangerines, I prefer the seedless ones. I've have not found that seeded tangerines are sweeter, juicer, or have more flavor that seedless ones.

Bananas I eat them seedless. I've eaten seeded bananas in Thailand. The seeds looked like cloves, and they were really hard. I had to eat the banana very slowly, and biting down on those seeds hurt my teeth.

I will occasionally eat frozen fruit. Frozen durian I will thaw out and eat. When I have too many ripening bananas, I freeze them to make smoothie later. And I will buy frozen berries for my smoothies. But other than durian, I will not thaw out the frozen fruit, just throw them into the blender.

But fresh fruit is superior in taste, texture, and nutrition than frozen. However, frozen fruits are healthier than cooked foods. Frozen fruits may have suffered some fiber damage, loss of vitamins and minerals, but there are not the toxins that come from the cooking process.

Posted by: rawdev ()
Date: January 28, 2007 10:01PM

This is a common question: Bananas to be or not to be.
The thing that's strange about animals is when in fact people talk about fruits being only "fruits with seeds or pits"
but Bananas are accepted but Avocados are not?

Bananas can be a complete food but too sugary and here's that famous word "hybridized" IMHO

It would be nice to have tasted a banana and or most fruit like 100 years ago.

Posted by: blue_sky ()
Date: January 29, 2007 12:46AM

Wow... many thanks to all of you, you people here are really helpful.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables