Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

I tried the 80/10/10 today and failed.
Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: January 29, 2007 05:41AM

The past few days I've been eating too much fat and having a problem with not feeling full and cravings. I wanted to try 80/10/10 because some of what I read makes sense. I'm not sure I agree with eating so little fat, doesn't seem healthy but I know from the past that I tend to get "full" from smoothies and eating a lot of apples. I need to lose weight so I'm thinking it could work for me.

I started off with a smoothie for breakfast which was about 300 calories. 3 small bannanas which came out to a cup once mashed/blended and that's about 200 calories. Then I threw some other stuff into it like a handful of chopped fruit and green superfood powder supplement. It was a 16oz drink.

About an hour after that I ate a handful of grapes and 2 apples.

Then I started getting hunger pains and my head felt weird, kind of like a detox thing.. More fruit wasn't working.

Then *confession* I ate a few slices of pizza and have had the worst headache and nausea since.. Although the hunger pains are gone. Pizza didn't even taste good or smell good.. it was just something else to eat. lol.

So what do you think was up with the hunger pains? I'm pretty sure it wasn't dehydration either.

What do you guys do for fruit anyway this time of year? I'm in RI and I'm not sure I can even do it. All I basically have for fruit around here is bannanas. The (organic) apples suck this time of year because they're not in season. I love green apples but the ones currently out are disgusting and to make it worse is $1 more per pound.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2007 05:44AM by LikeItOrNot.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I tried the 80/10/10 today and failed.
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: January 29, 2007 06:11AM

There are quite a few strategies for going to 80/10/10. Here is one:

On each day, add one piece of fruit to your daily menu. So if you normally don't eat fruit, just add one banana. And then eat the food you normally eat. If you find that you are not hungry for some of the old food, just let it go for that day. On the 2nd day, add another banana. Now you are eating 2 bananas, plus the old diet.

Keep on increasing the fruit until you start to feel uncomforable, one piece per day. When you get to the uncomfortable zone, back off 1 piece. Now you are back in the comfort zone again. Stay here for a while in the comfort zone. A week, perhaps 2. Then see if you can add another piece of fruit. If you can, again start the process of adding a piece of fruit a day until you get uncomfortable again. Again, subtract 1 piece, and stay there for a while.

I hope you are getting the picture.

I don't think it is possible to go from some random old diet into 80/10/10 in one day. There are too many adjustments and adaptations the body needs to make to do such a feat. Instead, look at a slower transition, giving your body some time to adjust to eating fruit.

As for fruit during this winter season, yes, this is the worst time to be eating high fruit - the end of winter and the beginning of spring. There are no local fruits, and everything is imported from the south. For me, I eat a lot of citrus during this time (navels, valencias, tangerines, grapefruit), as well as bananas. In a month or so, mangos will start coming in from the tropics, and life will be good again. Last week, I bought a pink navels, regular navels, page mandarins, kiwis, bananas, butter lettuce, romaine, celery, baby spinach, red bananas, d'anjou pears, asian pears, grapefruits, tomatoes, sweet peppers, avocados, dried turkish figs, monukka raisins and almonds.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: January 29, 2007 06:33AM

LikeItOrNot,

I would also recommend buying the book on foodnsport.com. There are a good information and tips in there. Also read Doug's FAQ.

Here is a transition strategy from the FAQ:

How do you make the change from cooked to raw?
Written by Administrator
The best way to begin is by increasing the amount of raw food you eat, while decreasing the amount of cooked food. For example, you can replace cooked grains and milk (cereal, toast, etc.) for breakfast with fruit that is in season, such as melon in summer or grapefruit or oranges in winter. Later, a lunch made up of a sandwich (baked grains) and chips (cooked corn or potatoes) can be replaced with another type of fruit or a banana/berry smoothie. Start the evening meal with fruit, and follow that with as much raw salad as you desire before committing to the cooked portion of dinner. Eventually, you can replace the evening cooked meal with a large salad made up of lots of leafy greens and some non-sweet fruits like tomatoes.

So perhaps start with breakfast only, and see how that feels. Then start to transition lunch, add more raw over time. After that, then transition dinners.

Have this be an exploration. Have it be fun. Don't try to force your body to go too far too fast. There is no hurry.

Date: January 29, 2007 07:34AM

Thanks Bryan.

I normally do/can eat a lot of fruit though. I used to eat an average of 4 apples a day and bannana based smoothies for breakfast everyday. I recently came off of a long fast and have been eating 95% raw since..just too many nuts, seeds (Soaked and dehydrated) and those raw/organic food bars. Binging is more my problem then SAD food, I can binge on grapes.

Now I'm thinking that maybe it's giving up the salads that screwed me today. I like having a good sized salad for lunch and usually use olive oil/vinegar dressing and sometimes for a change I use the most "natural" and "organic" Ceaser dressing I can find. I can't eat them plain yet and don't really like them with lemon juice. I could juice some of the veggies I would use but then juice isn't filling either.

Weird. Maybe I'll go back to the salads and just slowly decrease the fat and replace it with fruit like you said.

LIke it....
Posted by: Piano Gal ()
Date: January 29, 2007 05:56PM

My own experience is that I have to eat greens with my fruit, almost every time or I feel unbalanced. I'm not saying that is true for everyone - but it is for me. I put them in my smoothies for brekkie and lunch. If I don't, I don't feel grounded, satisfied and clear.

Re: LIke it....
Posted by: joanna2007 ()
Date: January 24, 2008 02:19AM

Piano gal,

what are your favorite veggie/fruit smoothies? also do you drink veggie/fruit juices that you get from a jucicer? if so what kinds? thanks, looking to try some smoothies and juices with veggie and fruit but not sure what would taste good... any ideas?

thanks!!
joanna

Date: January 24, 2008 05:49PM

lol why did someone have to bump this. It's a year old.

I'm embarrassed to say I still suck at 811. And still hate green smoothies. I do like 70/20/20. haha.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2008 05:50PM by LikeItOrNot.

Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: January 25, 2008 01:03AM

That's awesome likeItOrNot... 70/20/20 ...now that's what I call giving 110%

Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: January 25, 2008 04:05AM

LOL I was adding it up and raising an eyebrow, too. :-P

I think the reason this was bumped was because I needed to read Bryan's suggestions. I'm slowly moving away from so much fat and Bryan's advice to add another piece of fruit each day is a great one for me!

So, thanks for bumping the thread and thanks for your words of advice, Bryan!

Lots of love to all of you,

Wendi
XOXO

Date: January 25, 2008 03:53PM

MauiGreg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's awesome likeItOrNot... 70/20/20 ...now
> that's what I call giving 110%

Apparently I suck at counting as much as I sucked at 811. lol.

Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: January 25, 2008 05:46PM

...I thought you did it on purpose to get that extra 10%.

...well you could start saying that from now on and no one needs to know that you're mathematically challenged1

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables