Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

dumb question from a n00b
Posted by: quietgrrrl ()
Date: January 31, 2007 02:03AM

I apologize in advance for my neophyte-ness.

When someone says they are 90% raw, what does the 90% refer to? 90% of their total calories comes from raw food? Or raw foods constitute 90% of the total volume of what's consumed? Other?

I've seen this expression multiple times, even before I ever considered going raw myself, but I just now realized that I don't really know what it means. I'm not trying to start a debate or get information on what percentage is optimal. I just want to know what it's a percentage of.

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: dumb question from a n00b
Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: January 31, 2007 02:09AM

It can mean either. It's just a marker in sand, nothing of great importants.

Ian.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: January 31, 2007 02:29AM

Hi quietgrrrl

There is no need to apologize for any question on this forum asking about raw foods. For some people, they use volume. For others it is percentage of calories.

Using volumes can be deceptive. A Big MacĀ® is the same size as a grapefruit, but a Big MacĀ® has 562 calories, while a grapefruit has 76 calories.

At some point in my processes I would eat 1 cooked meal out of 20. The cooked meals had some raw in it, but most of the calories came from cooked foods. So at that point, I considered myself 95% raw. This works if all the meal have roughly the same amount of calories. This measure is then a percentage of calories rather than a percentage of volume.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: January 31, 2007 02:30AM

The calorie marker is much more telling because most raw foods except for the concentrated fats are mostly water.

A person can consume 90% of his or her food by volume from romaine lettuce and it might be only 2% of his or her total calories.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: January 31, 2007 02:33AM

I used to just use it as a general indicator of the number of meals that I was eating raw (based on 3 meals per day). If I was eating one all raw meal a day....forever....then I was 33% raw. Simple for me. Just my experience.

-David Z. Mason

Posted by: Azura Skye ()
Date: January 31, 2007 09:20AM

If I would eat raw for breakfast and lunch, but at dinner would have some cooked rice with my raw meal I'd say I was 90% raw. I see it as a number to indicate how much raw food you think you eat and how much non raw foods.

Posted by: quietgrrrl ()
Date: January 31, 2007 10:22PM

Wow, I had no idea it was such a subjective measure. I kind of like that.

Thanks for the responses - I appreciate your help and not being yelled at for being uneducated.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: January 31, 2007 11:10PM

oh, that is good david, yes.
I used to think it was something people made up because they wanted to be raw but couldn't stop eating cooked food..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables