Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

growing your own food
Posted by: taylor ()
Date: February 02, 2007 12:41PM

I was wanting to grow our own food this summer and was wodnering.If i buy seeds from the store-won't they be the same seeds that have the round -up weed killer in them?Does everyone get seeds from somewhere that does not have this chemical incorporated them the seeds?If i get seeds from like say the pumpkin i still have outside my doorstep-and grow those-would those seeds still have this bad chemical in them?thanks taylor

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: growing your own food
Posted by: JGex ()
Date: February 02, 2007 03:12PM

[www.seedsofchange.com]

Or Google "organic seeds" or "heirloom seeds" (without the quote marks) to find companies that specialize in non-Monsanto touched seeds. After that, learn to save your own seeds so that you have your own seed stock. Seeds can be stored in the freezer until the next growing season.

;o)

Judy

Date: February 03, 2007 04:51AM

thank you so very much Judy...taylor

Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: February 03, 2007 10:48AM

HIYA!
Yeah, if you save seeds, the concentration of any ag chemical will decrease over the generations. Plant the seeds from that pumpkin outside your door and next year's pumpkins will have less chemical than this pumpkin. I don't know how many generations it takes before all the chemical is gone. Not many I think.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Posted by: uti ()
Date: February 03, 2007 01:05PM

Taylor,

Please be careful! Growing your own food is highly addictive and empowering and will cause your thumb to turn green and arouse tomato envy in your neighbors.

But if you are going to throw caution to the wind anyway, Seedsavers is a great company and used to be a customer of mine [www.seedsavers.org] . They have great heirloom varieties which usually means more flavor, as a lot of varieties now days are developed to make fruits and veggies that have a longer shelf life or ship better at the expense of taste.

Most major seed suppliers like Burpee and Park have added certified organic seeds to their catalogs and lots of garden supply and hardware stores carry organics. Certified organc seeds contain no herbicide or pesticide residues.

More catalogs I like:
[www.seedsofchange.com]
[www.territorial-seed.com]
[www.groworganic.com]

Date: February 03, 2007 05:12PM

oh wow! thanks so much for this info.now i know.i use to have a huge garden and want to do this again this yr.exciting.thanks so much.now i know what to look for.taylor

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables