Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw Bread
Posted by: No5 ()
Date: February 03, 2007 02:09AM

I recently sprouted, ground, and dehydrated several different types of grains to make raw bread. Here is my opinion on each grain...

Amaranth - Very Bitter - Inedible
Barley - Bland - Edible
Buckwheat - Bland - Edible
Millet - Very Bitter - Inedible
Quinoa - Very Bitter - Inedible
Wheat - Slightly Bitter - Edible

The very bitter grains were simply inedible in my opinion. I could see these grains being used sparingly in some dishes but not in a concentrated form like a bread. The bland and slightly bitter grains were edible but really needed seasoning to make them palatable. I doubt that I could consume them on a daily basis even with the seasoning.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Has anyone else had a different experience? I am interested in the possibility of grains as a concentrated energy source but my raw bread experiment hasn't found a sustainable option yet. Does anyone have any suggestions that I could try before I eliminate this possibility entirely? Different grains? Different preparation methods?

Edit: Formatted my grain table using dashes since the whitespace was ignored.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2007 02:12AM by No5.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw Bread
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: February 03, 2007 02:34AM

Yeah....my experience was similar. I stuck with wheat....but NO way I prepared it.....was particularly appealing! You know? (unless you turn the stuff into salted wheat jerky! Ha! ha!.....but by that point it's pretty much the same as cooked food anyway! smiling smiley

-David Z. Mason

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: February 03, 2007 03:02AM

Thanks for posting your research. I wonder about combining the bitter and bland grains to try and balance out the breads flavor, or creating a none too bland base for some flavored bread (garlic rosemary is yummy). Or maybe combining some of the above raw oats (oh sooo yummy).

Some where on this site is a thread I was posting my rising flax seed bread research, although I can't seem to find it right now.

Cheers,
Ian.

Posted by: taylor ()
Date: February 03, 2007 03:27AM

well-when i make my wheat bread -it was so good and so sweet.May i ask if you are rinsing your sprout water 2x's a day?thanks for this cause i just bought some of the grains you are talking of...to do some more bread.thanks taylor

Date: February 03, 2007 03:37AM

Yes. I rinsed my sprouts once in the morning and once at night.

Let me know how the other grains taste to you. I am interested to hear which ones you try and which one you like the most. Maybe there is something different in your process that makes them more palatable. Or maybe it's a subjective thing and I'm just not suited for grain consumption.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: February 03, 2007 06:31AM

Instead of grinding or mashing the sprouted grains and/or dehydrating them, you might try eating them alive and whole.

One combination that sounds kind of unusual, but is actually pretty good: sprouted wheat mixed with chopped ripe papaya, especially the dark orange sunrise papaya.

Or you could add them whole to salad.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2007 06:33AM by suncloud.

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: February 03, 2007 03:05PM

When I can get raw organic corn, I blend it with or without spices and lime juice and dehydrate it for a delicious raw tortilla. It's not quite bread but it's very yummy.

Posted by: morrisson66 ()
Date: February 03, 2007 04:45PM

when i used to make bread I found some pretty good ones actually. one thing i found for sure is to NOT LET THEM SPROUT LONG. I would soak them for a day and then let them sprout only 8 hours. This solved the bitter and gross trick. It made them a lot more palatable. even if you don't plan to use them, mulch them in a food processor and throw them in the fridge overnight before use. unsprouted they are even better but not as alive. But honestly I question their liveliness after they've been dehydrated anyway... you make, you be the judge

Date: February 04, 2007 06:13PM

I picked up some raw essene bread from my local grocery store...

[www.glaserorganicfarms.com]

...and it tasted pretty good. I tried the plain version with no seasonings. Note that it was dehydrated to the point that it was more like a cracker than a loaf of bread. Was it the extra dehydration that affected the flavor or could I do something else in my process to improve flavor? I'm not really interested in adding crackers to my diet.

In the case of wheat, I am soaking hard red winter wheat for 12 hours overnight. Then I rinse and drain and sprout for 12 hours during the day. Then I rinse and drain and sprout for 12 hours overnight. Then I grind the sprouts in a food processor to a course consistency. I knead this dough into a ball and then I flatten it down to a half-inch thick circle. I then dehydrate at 90-100 degrees for 6 hours on each side. The result looks like a thick solid pita.

Morrisson already suggested that I shorten the sprouting period. I will try eliminating the second sprouting period. Does the grinding method affect flavor? Should I continue using a course consistency or should I use my blender to create a smoother consistency? Should I try different shapes or thicknesses? Should I try different dehydration temperatures or times?

My millet and amaranth bread came out with terrible consistencies (one was like powder and the other was like stuck-together seeds). I don't plan on trying those again. But I will try wheat, barley, quinoa, and buckwheat again. I suspect that quinoa will still be too bitter but I'll try it anyway.

Many thanks for any advice.

Edit: Fixed a broken link.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2007 06:15PM by No5.

Posted by: taylor ()
Date: February 04, 2007 06:25PM

Dear No5-sounds like we did the same process.and yes! that is the size i got too on my bread.my bread was a thick paste-not exactlyun-gooey.but it would stay together for me to lightly knead...a bit.it sounds right.i will keep u posted on when i experiment on mine too.good subject.taylor

Posted by: morrisson66 ()
Date: February 04, 2007 11:49PM

I used to make my breads in small single or double serving sizes. I ran my breads through my champion juicer so it ground them up pretty heavily and I used, kamut, wheat and spelt berries. I've thrown in buckwheat for some stuff... oh and rye berries make some yummy breads. Keep in mind these don't taste like real breads, which already know. I also tended to start with a wetter "dough" most times because it worked for me. YOu can always dehydrate it longer.

I would try mixing amaranth with some other grains if you want to use it up, same with the millet. I would use a say a 2:1 ratio of 2 other grains and 1 amaranth or millet.

One last thing, well two really, i found that sweet breads work well and ones with a lot of herbs, especially fresh ones. Remember if the dough doesn't taste good before you put it in the dehydrator it's not going to taste good when it comes out.

Hope this helps.

Matt

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables