Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

typical daily menu???
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 13, 2007 04:59AM

i am really interested in going completely raw and i need average daily menus from people who 100% raw. i guess i don't really understand how you can get everything that you need eating this way. it's not that i don't believe it, its just that i'm afraid that if i try it without knowing exactly what to eat, i will not get enough of something that i need! i really need some help, because i am so interested in eating this way to discover what it feels like to be truly healthy. please help!

also, does anyone have young children who eat this way(like 2-5 year olds)?
if so, how did they accept the change in eating habits? i just want my entire family to be healthy. is this indeed a healthy enough way for growing boys to get everything they need also?? thank you so much!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: typical daily menu???
Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: February 13, 2007 05:23AM

I have two blogs, raw 5 years, all fruity 1 year..you can google "suvine".
when I was raw vegan, too, I used to write down what I ate everyday...

I was into making raw food recipes..

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: February 13, 2007 05:49AM

Today I ate:

noon: 8 medium navel oranges
6pm: 7 bananas, 0.75 pound of spinach

I've written about my diet at various times of the year in this post. However, I don't recommend that newbies try my diet at home, as I've been eating 100% for over 5 years now, and my body has gone through many adaptations and healing to get where I am today.

Date: February 13, 2007 05:52AM

Today

FS Orange Juice

I had tomatoes, avocados and cucumbers with raw guacamole sauce, twice

smoothies all day of dates, bananas, blueberries, romaine leaf , avocado, mango

I usually eat mono.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: February 13, 2007 06:07AM

alexivan00,

As for transitioning, just add more and more whole fruits and salads to your existing diet, slowly edging out the cooked foods in preference for the raw foods. The most nutritious source of calories are green, but it is very difficult to get a lot of calories from greens. The next most nutritious source of calories are fruit, so be sure to eat a lot of fruit.

Dr Graham has an excellent "Frequently Asked Question" on his website.

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: February 13, 2007 08:16AM

To save me typing my response to this question repeatedly I started an FAQ on my blog: [www.rawrob.com]

But I would recomend that you transition over time like Bryan says, adding more fruit and salads to your current diet.

Edit: There are also lots of my recips on my blog.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2007 08:16AM by Funky Rob.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: February 13, 2007 08:55AM

made a green soup
twaas yummsies

put some dill, cilantro, parsley, tomato, half avocado, lemon,
some distilled water then pushed the button

if u want creamy, just let it go for longer time
if u want chunky and hearty like the " u can eat the soup with a fork"
just twirl it around for less time

sometimes i put in coconut juice with the gelatinous white flesh
and thats nice too

Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: February 13, 2007 12:47PM

Mostly raw soups or salads.. they're delicous & enjoyable to eat. I do get inspired by all your beautiful raw dishes.

recently

apricot soup
tomato, cucumber & pumpkin seed soup
avocado & tomato soup
strawberry soup
a raw bar
coleslaw dill & sunflower seeds
pineapple coconut smoothie
romaine pineapple smoothie

today maybe

kale & ?
pear soup
green peas & ?

Posted by: Frannie ()
Date: February 13, 2007 11:45PM

alexivan00,

I have been eating raw with my two sons, now aged 9 and 16 for 4 1/2 years now but I remember how scary it felt when we first changed over. Not so much for myself but to do it with my children. Like you I wanted them to eat as healthy as possible but I wasn't sure they would get everything they'd need eating raw.

So I tried to feed them as wide a variety of raw foods as I could find and just watched them for any signs of ill health. At first there were problems with teeth but this disappeared. I think it may have been detox or the fact that we were drinking loads of carrot and beetroot juices, following the recepies of Dr.Norman Walker, before I found out about all the sugars there are in these vegetables these days and started making green juices instead.

My kids seem to be doing well. The youngest got rid of his asthma completely, no more nasty medicines! The eldest improved so much where his ADHD and his inability to concentrate are concerned. The first year they both stopped growing, that was scary but apart from that they were so healthy I persevered. I think this might have been due to the shock to their system of our sudden switch from 100% cooked to 100% raw overnight.

The 9 year old is growing steadily now but is still small for his age but I think this might be down to genetics and also he is not getting all the hormones in meat and milk which I am sure is pushing kids today to get taller and taller. It is a well known fact that kids who eat vegetarian or vegan grow slower than meat eating kids.

The 16 year old was small for his age as well until he suddenly started growing about 9 months ago and he is now catching up with his peers. He ocasionally has a bag of crisps or a softdrink at school because he finds it hard to be so different from the other kids. Which is a another story about feeding kids raw, the peer pressure they have to deal with when you can't home school them. My eldest has no problems staying raw during holidays. Anyway, I don't think the crisps and coke can have pushed his growth that much so he also seems to be thriving on raw. Definitely his learning ability has improved so much on raw. No more brain fuss from grains.

This is just our story. I am becoming more and more confident that they are getting everything they need. We are not much into gourmet raw food, they both like to eat mostly fruit and I let them as long as they drink one green juice and eat one green smoothie a day. They don't enjoy the green juice because I really try to make it as green as possible but at the moment I don't trust their instincts to eat only or mostly fruit yet. Maybe in the future.

We don't use many supplements. Hemp seed milk for minerals and E3live for the long chain fatty acids for their brains. Again I am not sure they really need this but I am responsible for creating their future health right now and I can feel what my body is telling me but I can't feel what their bodies are saying.

Wishing you luck on this wonderful journey called raw. If you let it, it will bring you so many beautiful things and good health is just one of them.

Love, francis

Posted by: arilraw ()
Date: February 14, 2007 12:57AM

The kids I have in my home (2, 3, & 4 years of age -all foster children) are probably 75% raw. What have I noticed?

1. Bad behavior is nearly gone.
2. Bowel movements are really good -they came constipated, dirty wear only pajamas and no shoes.
3. They seem to sleep deeper. Why is this beneficial? Well, when they came, they rarely made it through the evening without waking up. Now when they awake, they're ready for the day!
4. They have ENDLESS engergy; so, if you're going to rear a raw kid, be prepaired for long walks and LOTS of play.

Our meals are usually like this:
Breakfast: bananas, oranges, prunes or coconuts & coconut milk.

Lunch: avocados, salsa, chips, carrots, celery sticks, home-made lemon-lime aide.

Dinnersad smileythis eve., for example): baked eggplants, spinach raita sauce, and carrots, peas, red onions, carrots and green peppers mixed in with mashed potatos together in a cumin, turmeric, coriander, ginger, garlic and olive oil sauce.

The dinner was cooked, so forgive the impurity -hell, the raw apple pie that I made for dessert a few days ago was their dinner last night (100% raw that day). They couldn't believe that they were getting "pie" for dinner. Yeah, according to the children, I was the "best dad" in the world that night!

I'd love to post their pictures because they're truly little darlings, but there are Federal and State laws prohibiting the public posting of foster children.

So, those are my $.02 -hey, after reviewing what I've written, I guess I'd have to write that they were actually my $.08!

Thanks,

Arilraw

Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: February 14, 2007 01:06AM

I know what you mean by the ENDLESS energy! My kids were raised organic & about 50% raw, because I let them eat what they wanted from the health food store only.

Yes, be prepared for lots of giggling all day, endless horsing around, and "mom, I'm bored"! They've always loved to read and that saved me! haha! Quiet time! Yay! We always took lots of hikes and walks. They weren't hyperactive brats by any means... just had lots of good energy.

Posted by: No5 ()
Date: February 14, 2007 01:14AM

Breakfast

4 Glasses Of Fresh Squeezed OJ
1 Cucumber

Lunch

8 Bananas
1 Head Of Celery

Dinner

2 Apples
1 Head Of Romaine
2 Tomatos
2 Carrots
1 Sweet Pepper
1 Lemon
1/2 Cup Almonds
2 Tablespoons Flax Seeds
Seasonings

Posted by: Pyratekk ()
Date: February 18, 2007 10:53PM

I just wanted to bump this up (hope that is ok) because I would love to see more examples of daily menus smiling smiley. This post made me realize that I don't think I'm getting a good balance of food so it'd be nice to get more suggestions smiling smiley

~Christi~
Natural Living Info
AP/NL mama to Jacob 10/25/2006

Posted by: minou33 ()
Date: February 18, 2007 11:25PM

I don't eat raw everyday but this is may be a typical menu for a raw day

breakfast:
raw granola cereal with blueberries in banana milk

snack:
brazilian nut milk, banana, cacoa, date & flax smoothie

lunch:
kale/apple/cucumber/lemon juice

snack:
oj with aloe smoothie

dinner:
For a raw dinner I struggle a bit because I don't know a lot of good recipes yet. I will usually make a large green salad.

Dessert: fruit smoothie followed by a fruit salad or a raw pie

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 19, 2007 03:53AM

breakfast: orange, apple, grapes, strawberries, blackberries, soy yogurt, flax, almonds, hazelnuts, pecan, brazil nuts

lunch: romaine, plum tomato, sweet onion, collard greens, zucchini, cucumber, carrot, alfalfa sprouts, walnuts, blackeyed peas, olive oil, red wine vinegar

dinner: breakfast again but pumpkin seed instead of flax, pecan, and brazil nuts

went shopping today, bought

8 lbs fla oranges
3 lbs yellow onions
3 lbs turnip greens
2 heads romaine
3 lbs strawberries
4 lbs plum tomatoes
3 lbs fla avocado--want to gain a few lbs
3 lbs bananas

hoping it will last 5 days but I doubt it.

Date: February 19, 2007 03:55AM

wow arugula very good

Posted by: debbie ()
Date: February 19, 2007 08:51AM

francis
what is in the green juices and smoothies you make?
thanks

Posted by: Forrest ()
Date: February 19, 2007 06:32PM

usually I will eat 5-7 times a day. I really enjoy mixed meals... like segmented ruby red grapefruit with a sliced banana and blueberries, or a mango with sliced banana and raspberries, mono meals aren't really as appealing at this stage in the game. around lunch I'll have a cucumber-celery juice. dinner I'll have a couple big handfuls of spinach with a lot of fruit on top.

as far as fat, about one avocado a week is all I'm eating. I really enjoy food prep, like the chopping and plating and stuff. I was really into cooking in the past.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: February 19, 2007 07:25PM

4 or 5 days/week I eat lots of organically grown fruit (including cucumbers) plus 1/2 to 1 avocado, and a small amount of sesame seeds and sunflower seeds either soaked overnight or drained and sprouted one more night. Before soaking, it amounts to 1/2 cup seeds total each day. I eat half those seeds in the late morning and half in the mid to late afternoon. Some days I eat less seeds and/or no avocado.

I'm 5'1" and 93 pounds, physically active, and that amount of fat seems right for me, and much easier to digest now that I'm soaking or sprouting the seeds.

2 or 3 times a week I have a salad or a couple of nori wraps in addition to the above, and I eat 1/2 avocado along with the greens. I also add just a little bit of sprouted wheat to my salad or wraps. On those days I eat a variety of greens. I especially like red leaf lettuce, bok choi or chinese cabbage, alfalfa sprouts, and cilantro. Lately I've been leaving out onions.

I usually have a fruit-only meal first, and I snack on bananas or citrus.

I take a methylcobalamin B12 supplement about 3 times a week.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2007 07:27PM by suncloud.

Posted by: Yogamama ()
Date: February 19, 2007 07:35PM

Today:

Breakfast - smoothie of banana, papaya, strawberries, raspberries, parsley

snack - one banana

lunch - veggie wrap (red peppers, cukes, tomatoes, cilantro, wakame, carrots, avocado, "spread" made from sunflower seeds, lemon juice and nama shoyu all wrapped in a collard leaf)
2 brazil nuts

snack - tangelo

dinner - probably a green smoothie. Kale, avocado, lemon juice, red pepper all thrown in the Vitamix with some water

I ran almost 5 miles this morning, so if I am hungry in the evening, I will probably eat an orange or two, or just juice some oranges.

I go back and forth with my meals. Some weeks, my meals are mostly fruit, but lately, I have been craving veggies and greens, so I am eating them.

As for kids being raw, my daughter eats a ton of raw food, but she is not 100% raw. She has TONS of energy, and I love it. I know that all kids have energy, and she is my only child, so I really have nothing to compare it to, but she has endless energy and sleeps really well. Since the day she started eating food, her first choice has always been fruits and raw veggies. She will choose that over anything. It's great.

Posted by: Ariannah ()
Date: February 19, 2007 08:12PM

I've been following the 80/10/10 lifestyle and my daily menu looks like this:

Fruit for breakfast, fruit for lunch (when I eat lunch), fruit as a first course before eating a salad at dinner. I'm keeping the overt fats low, but sometimes I will grind 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds with a dressing of bananas and celery or something like that. Or if it's been enough days between overt fats, I have half a small avocado.

Date: February 24, 2007 11:59AM

Bryan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Today I ate:
>
> noon: 8 medium navel oranges
> 6pm: 7 bananas, 0.75 pound of spinach
>
Are you worried about your capillary fragility? How about your pancreas? How about a breakdown to something like Parkinson's disease once you've used up your reserves?

Posted by: starfruit ()
Date: February 24, 2007 02:08PM

I write down what i eat every day under the raw diary section. Feel free to chec it out

xoxo,
Starfruit

Posted by: khale ()
Date: February 24, 2007 02:36PM

I'm curious as to why you think Bryan should be concerned with capillary fragility. He appears to be getting plenty of Vitamin C (as even bananas are a decent source) and he's getting green plant nutrients as well, plus he's not doing anything that depletes his body of these nutrients such as smoking, over-working or stressing (at least I assume he's not).

It just seems a strange flag for you to throw up. Why capillary fragility?

khale

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: February 24, 2007 05:29PM

juxtapositioned
JUICE

Posted by: Frannie ()
Date: February 24, 2007 07:56PM

Hi Debbie,

Sorry for not answering sooner, I was not on the internet much this week.

Green juice is mostly made of cucumber, celery, spinach, kale and fennel. Sometimes I'll also add some carrot and parsley. We also have wheatgrass juice three or four times a week which the kids will follow with some honey or a date. Remember the Mary Poppins song "Just a spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down"? In the summer I often make cucumber, celery and stinging nettle juice.

Green smoothie is mostly made in the beginning of the week from water, bananas, purlane, lambs lettuce and some other green I can't find the English name for. Towards the end of the week it's water, bananas and kale. I buy most of my shopping for the week on an organic market on saturday so I use the fresh stuff first. The kale I buy in bunches on big stems which I put in a bucket of water so it will stay fresh all week. In the summer I often make smoothies with water, bananas and wild greens such as stinging nettle and lambs quarters. I use bananas a lot because they are cheap.

I also try and grow my own greens for juices and smoothies such as wheatgrass, buckwheatgreens, peagreens and sunflowergreens with varying degrees of success smiling smiley I find it's really worth the effort so we can eat the best quality food on a tight budget.

Love, francis

Date: February 25, 2007 06:11AM

breakfast-avocado with dehydrated crackers
lunch-a large salad with raw sunflower seeds, braggs and hemp oil
dinner-a large salad with raw almonds or another nut and olive oil, hemp or flax oil

I eat almost no fruit because I'm into an alkalizing diet. It's has taken me three years to evolve to eating a 90-100% raw diet
Moshe

Posted by: sgc ()
Date: February 25, 2007 07:01AM

For me, water until 1pm usually
A couple oranges early afternoon
Some fruits for dinner around 6pm usually, whatever ripe I have for mono meal, different every day, and from the farmers market.
Sometime a large salad in the evening. With one avocado sometime
If I feel like candy, I'd have a few dates...

Raw Fruit Festival
[www.raw-fruit-festival.net]
Health, Fitness and Fasting Retreats in Spain
[www.fit-in-nature.net]

Date: March 17, 2007 05:47AM

minou33 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't eat raw everyday but this is may be a
> typical menu for a raw day
>
> breakfast:
> raw granola cereal with blueberries in banana
> milk
>
> snack:
> brazilian nut milk, banana, cacoa, date & flax
> smoothie
>
> lunch:
> kale/apple/cucumber/lemon juice
>
> snack:
> oj with aloe smoothie
>
> dinner:
> For a raw dinner I struggle a bit because I don't
> know a lot of good recipes yet. I will usually
> make a large green salad.
>
> Dessert: fruit smoothie followed by a fruit salad
> or a raw pie

What a great thread! I have tried going raw twice and haven't succeeded but I've been doing more research and decided to give it another try starting Sunday. I've been trying to find the happy balance between creativity and simplicity. The above menu is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for, especially because I'm looking to eat five or six "meals" a day rather than 3 big meals (doesn't seem to work for me - no matter how much I eat, I always end up feeling hungry - I think it's psychological grinning smiley) I may model my menu on this.

Tam

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables