Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Avocados
Posted by: Dr Mom ()
Date: February 14, 2007 01:26AM

For those of you doing high fruit/low or no fat, how do avo's fit into your diet? Do you avoid them completely? I eat about 5 a week and I'm trying to add more fruits and eat them away from fat like Bryan suggested....Save my avo's for the evening?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Avocados
Posted by: na(raw)dia ()
Date: February 14, 2007 02:24AM

I avoid them completly and if I do have them, which is very rare I have very very little. But even when I did eat them on a regular basis, I would not eat more than half of one per day. Yes, I had them later in the day...

Posted by: uma ()
Date: February 14, 2007 02:28AM

What I've been playing with recently is to have fat when I crave it and then see when the craving shows up again. Lately they've been getting further and further apart. So, for example, I didn't have much fat for about a week, then last night I sat down and ate 2 whole avocados, plain, with a spoon. YUM!!!!! I might not crave them again for several days or a week. I used to eat them a lot more... since I've been eating lots of calories from fruit, my craving for them has gone down. Yes I eat them in the evening after I've already eaten all my sweets for the day!

Love,
Uma

Posted by: cherimoya ()
Date: February 14, 2007 07:41AM

I haven't had one in about 3 months but will eat about 1 or 2 a week if I can find them in the market but have not seen them where I am now.

When in Florida I buy the Florida Avos in season they are not as good as the California ones but I always try to buy local or closer to home produce if I can.

I ate 3 one time that was the most I ever ate at one time.

I was very hungry that day.

Cherimoya

Love Peace and Happiness,

Posted by: Connie Boo ()
Date: February 14, 2007 06:01PM

I've recently quit eating avacados so much. I had one after two weeks of no overt fats. I would eat them in the evening with lettuce and cumcumber. I will let you know how I progress without them. I don't eat nuts. Nuts give me headaches.

Posted by: flex4life ()
Date: February 14, 2007 07:27PM

Can anyone tell me how to make Avocados taste better? I'm not a great fan of the taste...

Posted by: Dr Mom ()
Date: February 14, 2007 10:49PM

I usually mash them up with garlic and tomatos.

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: February 15, 2007 12:10AM

I like having avoes, but don't eat as much of them as I used too. I might have a lettuce-avo wrap, or perhpas have some in a salad. My daughter loves avoes. I prefer avoes from nuts. Fresher.

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2007 12:16AM by rawgosia.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: February 15, 2007 06:58AM

I usually eat 1/2 avocado in the late morning or early afternoon. Then I MIGHT eat the other half later in the day (around 5 or 6) if I'm still hungry after my dinner.

My favorite thing to eat with avos is cucumber and lemon juice.

I don't eat avocados as my only fat. I eat seeds too because nuts and seeds contain important vitamins and minerals like vitamin E, calcium, and iron. Fruits and vegetables supply those nutrients too, but only in much smaller amounts. Being a very physically active woman of 56 years young (with a natural lazy streak), I can definitely feel the lack of those nutrients when I don't have them.

And really, I don't think it's detox that makes me feel that way. After a history of being far more than 99% raw (plus 100% vegan) every year for over 20 years, including 100% raw this last year plus several other years here and there 100% raw, and even several months of 100% all fruit fruitarian, plus numerous juice fasts and 3 week-long water fasts, I did get to a point where I began to feel a need for certain nutrients (much to my own surprise). Now my attitude is that although it's really important to get those toxins cleaned out and keep them out and even fast on a regular basis, and although the RDA really is probably at least double the necessary amount for most nutrients, those nutrients do have an important role in our health. After all, why DO we need to eat, if not for the nutrients and enzymes contained in the (raw) food? It's not just for prana, because we get plenty of that from the air. Personally I don't believe breatharianism works very well for mortals. smiling smiley

All the talk about 80/10/10 here on the forum though has really helped me to modify my fat so that I am now eating only sprouted seeds and nuts (along with the avocado). I feel really good about that. I did an hour of yoga this morning, ran 6 miles, came home and did housework and then did errands in town (yuck). That's actually a light day. In fact I've worked so hard these last several years that when I went to get fingerprinted for my new part-time job, the fingerprint machine couldn't register prints off any of my fingers except for my thumbs! They told me that it's rare, but it happens when people have worked hard outside for many years. Kind of like a badge of honor. That's pretty incredible for a naturally lazy person like me who would really rather sit on the couch and watch the news while doing a Sudoku.

I kind of wish I knew just how much fat is in the sprouted sunflower and sesame seeds that I eat, but detailed nutritional information on sprouts unfortunately seems to be scarce. So for now, I'm eating "intuitively". I fill 1 measuring cup with 1/2 cup sunflower seeds and 1/2 cup sunflower seeds and start soaking them in the evening. Then I eat them over the next 2 days. That seems to work out perfectly for me. I feel great.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2007 07:13AM by suncloud.

Posted by: GotVeggie ()
Date: February 15, 2007 07:32AM

Avocadoes are good with tomatoes, onions, parsley. Just consume avocadoes with moderation due to high fat content

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables