Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Tooth Discoloration from Raw Vegetables?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 15, 2007 09:16AM

My diet is about 90% raw for several months now. I eat as much organic as possible, but mainly not in the fresh vegetables that i eat a lot of. Lately my teeth have developed a grayish discoloration which seems to be under the enamel. This is *not* decay in any way, as my teeth are healthy and clean.

Has anyone else had this problem? Could this possibly be from fluoride sprayed on the fruits and vegetables? Thanks very much!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tooth Discoloration from Raw Vegetables?
Posted by: ilovecarrotjuice ()
Date: February 15, 2007 05:38PM

Last time I went to the dentist he kept telling me how stained my teeth were. "Sorry if I poke you, I am trying to see if this is decay, your teeth are just so stained" Gee, thanks. I pay him so much to check my teeth, he could be nicer. smiling smiley But it wasnt decay. I just figured it was from all of the veggie juice I drink.

Posted by: learningtofly ()
Date: February 15, 2007 05:46PM

Raw Carrots and beets and their juices are staining (especially beets). Probably some fruits too like mangos and blueberries. Maybe greens as well.

Posted by: mtnkathy ()
Date: February 15, 2007 06:01PM

I don't think they would make your teeth GRAY. Foods make them yellow. Perhaps it is something else.

Date: February 15, 2007 06:03PM

Kelsie, of all the foods in one's diet the fresh vegetables are probably the most important to eat organic if possible, since they cannot be "peeled" and are conventionally sprayed. Also, as a raw foodist the quantity of fresh vegetables in one's diet is higher than that of a conventional eater which probably makes it more important for a raw foodist than a conventional eater to eat organic.

Cheers.

Posted by: Connie Boo ()
Date: February 15, 2007 06:33PM

I read that glycerin in the toothpaste keeps your teeth from remineralizing. When I would use something else like baking soda my teeth would stay stained. When I went back to my toothpaste (no flouride) my teeth would whiten up right away. I would appreciate knowing what others are doing for this.

Date: February 15, 2007 06:36PM

Hey Connie Boo,

Which toothpaste do you use?

Thanks.

Posted by: Connie Boo ()
Date: February 15, 2007 07:17PM

The toothpaste I use is Spry antiplaque tartar control maxxylitol and aloe.

Posted by: Felix ()
Date: February 17, 2007 02:15AM

My teeth also got very stained, even though I was using Fred Patenaude's tooth soap. Now I use Colgate Total and am no longer afraid to smile.

Posted by: annex ()
Date: April 10, 2007 04:41PM

I would like to hear more responses from people on this. I experienced that gray discoloration myself - for the first time in my life after going raw. And then last night I noticed that my ex (we went raw at the same time) has it too. We both have very healthy teeth (one cavity between us). I am pretty convinced that it is not staining from colorful friuts/veggies, but probably a lack of minerals. Anyone else's experience?

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: April 10, 2007 05:33PM

i read something a few years ago about excessive iron causing grey tooth discoloration

i have no idea if that holds any merit

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: April 10, 2007 06:00PM

My teeth got whiter and a cavity healed, but really since I started eating only fruit. I had problems when I ate cooked food and even trusted a dentist who put metal in my mouth and 1000$ root canal. I found out later dentists are wrong and teeth are living and they heal.

I have no idea what the grey teeth are.
I do know that on raw foods fruitarian diet, DEAD teeth, like root canals with crowns, cavity destroyed, and all that stuff they put on your teeth, dead stuff etc will maybe fall out. That is because they are dead and the body does not want dead things in it. Once a tooth is dead it is harder if not impossible to heal.

Dentists try to cover dead things up but in a few years the tooth will look black underneath. That is because it is rotting from the inside.

In matt monarch's book, he said he drank green juices and his teeth got discolored.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2007 06:04PM by coconutcream.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables