Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

morning sickness
Posted by: arie ()
Date: February 15, 2007 03:20PM

Howdy! I'm about 7 weeks pregnant and having some pretty bad morning sickness. The remedies I've heard so far are ginger ale, saltines, and lemons... sadly even the natural ginger ales are too sweet and make me sicker, saltines do nothing, and lemons only help while I'm actually smelling or eating them. Does anyone know of any natural remedies? I'm having a tough time eating as well, since the smell of almost everything makes me queasy!

Also, does anyone know about drinking herbal teas while pregnant? I've been getting mixed messages, even about individual teas.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: morning sickness
Posted by: lisa_pe ()
Date: February 15, 2007 03:24PM

You can make a ginger tea from fresh ginger. I never had morning sickness but with my second pregnancy I sometimes did not feel great and almonds for some reason made me feel great! I think it is a personal thing. You need to find something that makes you feel good.
Good luck and feel good,
Lisa

Posted by: morrisson66 ()
Date: February 15, 2007 03:28PM

or you can put a little bit of warm water in a glass... squeeze in some lemon and honey... mixe in the honey... add some fresh ginger juice and use sparkling water, like from Poland Springs or something, and make your own ginger ale. We do occasionally. I suppose you could use agave or even some apple juice instead of honey. Just put the carbonation in last.

Posted by: mtnkathy ()
Date: February 15, 2007 03:29PM

I was quite sick with my first pregnancy until the end of the 4th month and not just in the morning. I had all day sickness!

My doctor with the second child told me to take 300-500 mg of B Complex daily (it is a complex and the amount will differ, but get the highest dose you can and take it several times a day). I did and it worked markedly to reduce the morning sickness. Be sure to get the most natural source you can find.

With my 3rd child, I was told by a naturopath to take ginger. I bought some ginger spice at the store and put it into capsules. When I took the capsules the nausea would stopp IMMEDIATELY when the capsule hit my stomach. It didn't even have time to dissolve and my body to assimilate it. It was wierd!!!! I took it as often as I felt slightly nauseated. After all, it was only ground ginger root. The ginger added to the B-Complex was remarkable in reducing pretty severe morning (all day?) sickness.

Keep in mind that the nausea happened when I was on a SAD diet.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: February 15, 2007 04:14PM

Morning sickness is an attempt by the body to cleanse and detoxify the body so that it has a better chance of having a healthy pregnancy. To suppress any sickness of nausea is to keep the poisons in the body and lower the chance of better health during pregnancy. It is way better to have nausea and vomit whatever the body is trying to expel rather than keeping it in your body. If you are nauseous but not vomiting, this may just be a sign to not eat at the moment.

Date: February 15, 2007 04:20PM

That may be true, Bryan, but the stomach is usually empty when it becomes nauseous. I was able to stop the nausea sometimes by simply eating one bite of an apple or a cracker. There was nothing to expell, just the nausea.

Can you explain?

Date: February 15, 2007 04:21PM

Another thought is that I have heard the nausea can help prevent a woman from eating things that are harmful to the baby. There are certain smells and certain foods that each woman is repulsed by. Perhaps those are what she should stay away from.

Posted by: arie ()
Date: February 15, 2007 08:03PM

Thanks everyone- I will try ginger suplements or tea. I'll also try to keep small bites of food around to avoid an empty stomach. (My 'morning' sickness lasts all day too, and I'm usually stuck at school for about 8 hours)

What foods did everyone have the best luck with when pregnant? I'm finding myself craving fatty things, but when I try to eat healthy fats (like avocados or nuts) I wind up throwing them up.

Bryan- that's an interesting theory (and might be true for some women), but I'm sick pretty much constantly, and I hope that my body's not giving me the message to abstain from food completely. Also, I'm most sick when my stomach is empty, so I don't think the vomiting is my body trying to expel anything. I don't think that morning sickness is a cleansing so much as a combination between a rush of hormones and an increase in stomach acid. (^_^)

Posted by: red_willow ()
Date: February 15, 2007 10:12PM

Peppermint tea was the only thing that worked for me.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: February 16, 2007 12:58AM

I was sick with all three of mine. Ginger tea worked wonders. It was all I needed. I got it in the medicinal tea section of my grocery store. I don't think I was sick because of anything I was eating. Eating somethng bland, like crackers, was a must for me. Congratulations!!! It won't be long and this discomfort will be a memory.

Date: February 16, 2007 01:46AM

"Another thought is that I have heard the nausea can help prevent a woman from eating things that are harmful to the baby. There are certain smells and certain foods that each woman is repulsed by. Perhaps those are what she should stay away from."

Ive heard this too mtnkathy!

arie - Hope you feel better really soon! <3

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Posted by: taylor ()
Date: February 16, 2007 01:56AM

I had to get iron shots cause i was anemic when i was p.g. with the first one and take iron tablets.then the second one-so so sick.for months and it was the same with the first.then the 3rd-sick again.i quit the iron pills and quit puking.it was the iron pills and the strong pre-natal vitamins that made me sick.i would break the pre-natal vitamins in half and take one in the morning and one later in the day...if they have large amount s of iron in them.good luck and congradulations on the baby .hugs taylor

Posted by: Dr Mom ()
Date: February 19, 2007 02:44PM

Bryan is right. Morning sickness is actually a liver crisis. It's not that it is something that you are putting into your body presently. It is what has been stored in your body toxin wise that the body is trying to rid itself of so that it can support a healthy baby. Ginger and peppermint teas will help calm your stomach, but then I would also choose a good liver supporting herb. Milk Thistle is safe during pregnancy and nursing. Celestial Seasonings actually makes a tasty tea called Sugar Cookie Sleigh Ride that has a good amount of milk thistle in it or you can buy it in capsule form which is not my favorite way to take herbs. Teas and tinctures are much more readily absorbed by the body.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: February 23, 2007 12:03AM

If you feel nausea, just don't eat until the nausea goes away. Your body is telling you strongly to not eat right now. This may make you weak and need to stay in bed to sleep, but that is exactly what the body needs to create a condition for the optimal healing in the body so your baby has the best possible conditions for growing in a clean and pristine body.

If you take a medication to make the nausea go away, and ignore your body's message to not eat, it will not clean itself as efficiently as if you listened to what your body was saying.

I realize that you may have a life to live, a job to consider, but listening to the message from the body and doing what it is asking of you will give you the best possible conditions for having a healthy baby.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables