Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Just found out I'm Diabetic
Posted by: Tadey ()
Date: February 19, 2007 01:25PM

Just found out I'm Diabetic type2 where do I start I haven't done living foods in

years I'm lost I don't see any fourms that deal with living foods for diabetes. My

13 year old has asthma but I know that I have to start with myself first.

Thanks

PS.Where can I find pictures of living foods.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Just found out I'm Diabetic
Posted by: Dr Mom ()
Date: February 19, 2007 02:34PM

I have found that several of my clients can transition into living foods and control their blood sugar at the same time using plant based food enzymes. By taking two with every meal, they are able to take the digestion burden off of the pancreas and free it up to just concentrate on regulating blood sugar.The ones that I have found to work are at www.alleganynutrition.com . This is not a MLM, but you will need to find a professional practitioner to get them for you. The owner MAY sell to a health food store.

Then you should see a Naturopath and be tested for a virus that is compromising the pancreas. This is where a lot of diabetes starts...

At this point, I would avoid dehydrated fruits (dates etc) because the sugars are more concentrated. Don't juice yet either unless you are including the fiber with the juice ( vitamix etc). Eat lots of greens to start and add in more and more fruits as your pancreas heals.

Asthma is usually an adrenal gland issue especially if she is finding a lot of relief puffing inhalers which encourage an adrenal response.

Try to find a good Naturopath or Chinese doc in your area. Good luck transitioning to raw foods. You're on the right path.

Posted by: macfly ()
Date: February 19, 2007 06:17PM

Hi Tadey,

I encourage you to read Doug Graham's book, "The 80-10-10 Diet". It is available on his website, foodnsport.com. He covers diabetes in depth in this book. Most research and medical thought on diabetes has its attention focused on avoidance of sugar -- even sugars from raw fruits. The problem isn't the sugar from the banana, it's the fat in the bloodstream that prevents the sugar from exiting the blood in a normal fashion. That being said, many diabetics have a host of other ailments and issues that complicate their ability to process sugar. A low-fat raw vegan diet, with plenty of exercise, adequate sleep and development of emotional poise, will heal all of them in time.

This forum is wonderful, of course, and you should also visit Doug's message board at Vegsource.com.

There's a lot of information out there. Just keep reading, keep digging, keep experimenting and observing and you'll find your way to vibrant health. Best to you!

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: February 20, 2007 12:27AM

This is sooooooo weird! datesandfigs just posted a link to raw food movies. One of the movies is a trailer to a documentary about curing diabetes with raw foods! here is the link he posted. The trailer is the third one down.
[www.freewebs.com]

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: February 20, 2007 12:54AM

Tadey, thankfully, you can lose both asthma and diabetes by going raw, within not too long time!

Story 1: [www.vegetarianusa.com]

Story 2: [www.alternativesmagazine.com]

Dr Graham has seen patients developing heart disease, diabetes and other ailments while on a high fat raw diet. There is a special forum devoted to diabetes: [www.vegsource.com]

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: KathyT ()
Date: February 20, 2007 01:22AM

Trady,

All I can tell you is based on my own experience.

As a type 1 diabetic, I have used insulin for 24 years. Most of that time has been miserable, because I am allergic to the preservative in insulin. Only one insulin on the earth doesn't contain that preservative... the long acting insulin Levemir, and I use it. But to cover meals I use a quick acting insulin which makes me itch so miserably that at times I have used a knife to scratch my skin. That doesn't help the internal itching at all. So I have not taken enough insulin to get control, just enough to keep myself alive. Alive and not healthy.

I am a brittle diabetic, my blood sugars swing all over the place. However, since I have been about 80% raw, I have had more low blood sugars than ever before, and at lower insulin doses. My insulin/carb ratio has dropped quite a bit.

However, I have eaten a lot of fruit, and I also continually fight yeast. For that reason, I don't feel at all comfortable going on the 10/10/80 diet... I know little about it except that it calls for much of your carb intake to be from fruits. Fruits are high in natural sugar, and all sugars supress your immune system. It is well known that diabetes is an auto immune problem. So it seems to me that it is best to use lots of greens and vegetables to build up that immune system first... I am actually embarking on a 90 day period with no fruit, to help clean out the yeast. At the same time, I am also going back on the parasite cleanse that helped me when I used it for a short time several years back.

Here's what I can tell you about my experience with it: About 4 days after I went on the cleanse, I looked in the toilet (yes when on a parasite cleanse, you tend to look at your poo quite often.lol) and saw something that looked like an almond. I called my upline (it is a multilevel) and asked if there were any parasites that looked like almonds. She said "Yes, those are liver flukes. Did you see any antennes?" I really grossed out at that, and told her no! She said, keep watching, they have antenne. So I told her that I had not eaten any almonds... she said, "Kathy if you had, they would be chewed up!" Duh! So anyway, I kept watching, and several days later I started passing many little almond shapped parasites, with antenne! This is the time period when everyone started telling me how great I looked. My daughter's best friend's mother came over to pick my daughter up to spend the night at her house... and she sat my daughter down and said, "What is your mother doing? I have never seen her with so much vitality! I know she's doing something, and I want to know what it is!" I felt amazingly better than before. At this time I was eating cooked food, but was avoiding sugar like the plague, and also staying off of carbonation.

After my husband suffered an injury, there was no money to continue on the herbs, so I only took them for about 5 weeks. I had been told that I needed to stay on a parasite cleanse for 90 days because parasites hibernate... so if you are taking the cleanse, those parasite who are not hibernating will eat the herbs and die, but those who are hibernating will later wake up and eat the herbs... so 90 days will cover it all. After that, an occasional maintenance is in order.

Okay, back to tell you of my experience:

I was introduced to this product by a cousin who cured her colon cancer with it. After that several cousins used it with dramatic success. Breast cancer for one. chronic ear infection in a little guy... my whole family was using it and they were all passing parasites.

There is a doctor Hulda Clark who wrote two books: The Cure for All Cancers and The Cure for All Diseases. She states that virtually ALL disease comes from lack of nutrition... when the parasites in our body rob us of the nutrition we eat. I can't remember which book I saw the pictures in, it was one of the two. But sometime later I saw a copy and thumbed through it. There were pictures of different parasites and I started checking them out. First was a liver fluke. Huh, I thought... that doesn't look like what I passed... it was sort of almond shaped but very thin. But I looked at the next picture, and there was a parasite that looked just like an almond. I checked under the picture... it said, "Pancreas Fluke, causes diabetes!" I was stunned.

What I am doing now, and frankly what I recommend to any new diabetic, to to go 100% raw... I'm just starting this, as previously I've been eating 80% raw... and I suspect there should be a period of going off of sugars... even natural sugars... and I think it should be accompanied by a parasite cleanse. (That will help the fruitless stage be shorter as you are getting rid of parasites both ways then.) Frankly, if your colon isn't eliminating 2-3 times a day, a colon cleanse should be started several days before the parasite cleanse. It is not good to have dead parasites backed up in your colon! They will create toxins which are absored though your colon walls. So make sure the colon is working reasonably well first. That will most likely be the case if your are on 100% raw foods.

This is what I have learned from research and experience. I wish I could tell you I was all cured from my diabetes... I am not. Because of povery, I have not been able to follow that path before. And I didn't understand the power of eating all raw. But I believe I now have the knowledge and tools to bring that cure about now. I have started on the path.

Good luck, keep us posted, I know I want to hear how it's going for you. BTW, one book I read by a naturopathic doctor suggested that it is MUCH easier to cure a newly diagnosed diabetic that one who has been diabetic for years, so it would be good to hop right on it!

And LOTS of natural supplements exist for type 2 diabetic: chromiun and cinnamon are two.

Best wishes,

KathyT

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2007 01:30AM by KathyT.

Date: February 20, 2007 02:10AM

Also, see, posted before:

High-fat diet's causal role in blood-sugar metabolic disorders

at [www.geocities.com]

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: KathyT ()
Date: February 20, 2007 06:59AM

Fat slows down the metabolism... experienced diabetics know about how you have to time your insulin differently if you're eating much fat, because it will slow everything down, so the blood sugar curve lasts much longer.

Slang term... The pizza factor.... eating pizza slows the metabolism down so much that your blood sugar will be much higher than usual for a longer period of time. This is because of all the fats in the cheeses and meats.

I think if you're eating raw vegan, you won't have to worry about it much. Just my experience so far.

KathyT

Posted by: rrraw ()
Date: February 20, 2007 03:02PM

Good post, McFly!

Posted by: rawlife ()
Date: February 22, 2007 04:02PM

[www.rawfor30days.com]

cures diabetes
good video trailer

Date: February 26, 2007 09:53PM

Thanks everyone.

If you could pick one place to go and get help where would it be.

Thanks
Tadey

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: February 27, 2007 04:36AM

right here Tadey
u just got help
on this ONE place

enjoy your adventure

Posted by: taylor ()
Date: February 27, 2007 12:17PM

good luck Tadey! hugs taylor

[img10.mytextgraphics.com]

Posted by: khale ()
Date: February 27, 2007 01:07PM

Ditch overt fats; keep the fruit!

New research indicates that fat, especially saturated or animal fats, plays a far greater role in promoting diabetes Type 2 than does sugar.

Your pancreas produces insulin, a hormone that the pancreas sends into your bloodstream to travel to the various cells of the body. "Like a key sliding into a lock", insulin attaches to a receptor on the cell's surface and causes the cell membrane to permit glucose to enter.

In Type 2 diabetes this system does not work properly. Your pancreas still makes insulin, and insulin still travels to all the cells, but when it arrives, it has trouble "opening the door". It's as if the lock has become jammed, and the key doesn't work. This is insulin resistance.

What jams the lock? Fat.

In a "normal" person, mitochondria (or microscopic furnaces) metabolize these fats and burn them up. But research shows that diabetics have too few mitochondria (usually and always in type 2 as a result of diet) and so fat accumulates in the cells, blocking glucose from entering the cells and being converted to energy.

If you drastically reduce overt fats (no animal fats, no dairy, minimal vegetable fats from avocado, nuts and seeds) you can keep the fruit and whole grains and still manage your blood sugar. Research, in fact, is very promising regarding reversing Type 2 diabetes this way.

This is the path my mother (Type 2 diabetic with very high blood sugar) and I are on.

You may want to google Dr. Neal Barnard for the science behind this research.

Otherwise, if you are wanting to go 100% raw, low-fat vegan, Dr. Douglas Graham is probably your man. However, if you want a slower transition to all raw, you may want to check out Dr. Neal Barnards book, "Dr. Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes". He advocates a very low-fat vegan diet which allows for lots of fruit and veggies and whole grain carbohydrates. Dr. Bernard is not a "purist" and allows for fat-free salad dressings and veggie "meat" substitutes, so if these things offend, you can always read between the lines and adapt the diet to your own preferences.

Don't worry; be happy. Type 2 diabetes is not a terminus. You can lick this thing.

Best of luck,

khale

P.S. Dr Mom, interesting post on digestive enzymes. I'll definitely do some research on this. Thanks.

Posted by: rawdev ()
Date: March 02, 2007 02:15AM

bump

Date: March 02, 2007 03:15AM

Interesting. Thanks, khale.

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: March 02, 2007 12:50PM

You're quite welcomed.

As an update: My Mur (my pet name for Mother) is doing well on this diet. Her blood sugar is steadily dropping (it was a whopping 400+ when we started this time around) and she's dropped 3lbs. Yesterday her blood sugar was at 325, so in four days she's dropped 100 points, which is significant enough to both encourage and excite.

We tried a diet this time last year that worked pretty well too, but it was not vegan (we still used some dairy, some fish and overt fats) and not long after I stopped menu-planning and coaching she reverted back to ick poo SAD. This time she seems more inspired and is taking this diabetes thing much more seriously. She loves the vegan food and is eating a lot more raw fruits and vegetables in place of the dried fruits and nuts she was snacking on before.

It's all good.

khale

Date: March 05, 2007 08:02PM

Naturopath- I will have to check in to that. This is new to me. I do hope I find one in my area.

The 80-10-10 Diet- I don't understand that diet but I will reread it.

WWW.freewebs.com- I look at that it was very interesting.

KathyT- I always look at my poo. And I think I must have parasites because I fill movemet back there when I tried to sleep (yuck). I drink 2 cups of cinnamon tea a day.

rawgosia- Thank for the information.

All i had today was a grapefruit(7:30 am)(family went to the store for me) so I'm very tried and sleeply. I would like to say thank you TO EVERYBODY.

Thanks for all the help.
Tadey

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 07, 2007 02:32AM

Raw should be very helpful for type II. Helen Vlassara has been able to make normal rats diabetic just by overcooking their food and letting them eat as much of it as they want. She also has been able to extend their lifespans by undercooking their food. One would expect even more of the same with raw, although it hasn't been tested yet.

Here are some nice intro papers:

glycotoxins in commonly consumed foods
[newcastleyoga.com.au]

Huebschmann AG, Regensteiner JG, Vlassara H, Reusch JE.
Diabetes and advanced glycoxidation end products.
Diabetes Care. 2006 Jun;29(6):1420-32. Review.
PMID: 16732039 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
[media.corporate-ir.net]

Vlassara H, Palace MR.
Glycoxidation: the menace of diabetes and aging.
Mt Sinai J Med. 2003 Sep;70(4):232-41. Review.
PMID: 12968196 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
[www.mssm.edu]

Date: March 07, 2007 03:04AM

Wow. Arugula, thanks for these links.

Am I mistaken to read into this research a very strong case against cooked food in general for everyone?

Good to "see" ya Arugula.

khale

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 07, 2007 03:45AM

>Am I mistaken to read into this research a very strong case against cooked food in general for everyone?

It's a bit premature to take it to the limit for everyone: in one of the papers there is a statement that in normals (nondiabetics) there is 90% clearance of such dietary toxins, if they kidneys are functioning well. One wonders how much damage the remaining 10% can do. My guess is some. It is probably an unncessary contributor to aging and eventualy tissue and organ dysfunction.

Also there are some troubling papers finding that vegetarians have higher amounts of CML (a type of glycotoxin) circulating in the blood compared to omnivores due to their typically higher fructose intakes (fruit sugar) despite their lower levels of inflammation. This is because fructose is more inclined to participate in glycation reactions than sucrose or glucose.

It might be that slightly elevated plasma CML is not a good marker for a pathologic state. Or that some of the glycotoxin products have some beneficial effects under certain circumstances. But I don't know, I don't think the researchers have quite sorted it out yet, either. It isn't enough to make me eat less fruit.

>Good to "see" ya Arugula.

Thanks, ditto!

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: March 09, 2007 03:12AM

Date: March 18, 2007 01:35PM

I wanted to give you guys an update on my Mothers progress with a low, low fat, vegan diet.

When we started this experiment my Mothers blood sugar was a whopping 434! Today, approximately 20 days into the diet, her blood sugar is down to 173! Still too high but a massive improvement. Her weight has dropped a solid 8 lbs.

I think its important to note that my mother was not vegetarian, much less vegan when we started this journey. I've been impressed with her level of commitment and amazed at how relatively easy her transition to no meat, no dairy and very, very low fat has been. She has also been eating substantially more raw fruits and vegetables and feels great! She says that the sacrifices are well worth the results, but then we all already know that.

khale

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables