Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What's in your green smoothie?
Posted by: Melanie ()
Date: February 20, 2007 05:36PM

I've always been a food combiner, but I've decided to make an exception for green smoothies. I started my green smoothies this morning. I put in dandelion greens, paresely, romaine lettuce, an apple, a banana and about 1/2 tablespoon of artisana coconut oil. It was very delicious!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What's in your green smoothie?
Posted by: Pam ()
Date: February 20, 2007 05:55PM

I like them with mostly greens and not very sweet. My green smoothies usually taste like milk to me. I used spinach, parsley, romaine, celery, carrots and some globe grapes. I also threw in a few large mustard green leaves. Mustard greens have a VERY strong taste but I'm determined to use them! I usually put in some ginger, too, but mustard and ginger combined is just too much. ;o)

Pam

Posted by: taylor ()
Date: February 20, 2007 07:20PM

today my green smoothie has apples and kale and spirulina and flaxseed meal.it looks like green baby poo and it sort of thick but it is sure good.my lunch.

Posted by: alive! ()
Date: February 20, 2007 07:38PM

Today mine was 2 oranges, a chunk of fresh pineapple, some frozen grapes, cinnamon, ginger, 4 big chard leaves, 1 tbsp of VitamineralGreen,- passed the "yummy test"!

Life Is Good!

alive!

Posted by: Dulset ()
Date: February 20, 2007 08:07PM

A WHOLE pack of fresh blueberries, a banana and 4 celery stalks.
Don't usually use that many blueberries but was low on ripe fruit.
It was GOOD!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 20, 2007 08:11PM

I had two today

1) collards, 3 bananas, pinapple, strawberries and 3 dates

2) red chard, 3.5 bananas, rasberries and 3 dates

Posted by: red_willow ()
Date: February 20, 2007 09:10PM

Spinach or Kale, frozen blueberries, water, a tad Agave Nectar.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 21, 2007 03:03AM

My fave - 2 bananas, lot's of spinach, frozen blueberries, and a little bit of water.

Yum!

Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: February 21, 2007 03:16AM

Bananas and pretty much any vegetable provided I don't put in so much vegetable that it takes over the taste. A bit more of a banana flavor and it's almost always good.

I will put in just about any fruit and just about any vegetable with the idea to give the fruity taste the upper hand.

I rarely add water. It's sometimes a little hard on my blender. But I make sure that whatever I put in first is watery enough to handle the less moist stuff that I'll add next.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: February 21, 2007 03:28AM

1 orange, about 1/2 c. mango, 1/2 banana and 1 c of spinach

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Ariannah ()
Date: February 21, 2007 11:32AM

Mine are usually just organic bananas and organic tender greens.
Sometimes I'll add a pear.

Posted by: arie ()
Date: February 21, 2007 09:07PM

hmmm, I've never had a green smoothie before. Do you add any liquid? How much do you add of greens, in proportion to fruit? Want to try, want to try. (^_^)

Posted by: Melanie ()
Date: February 21, 2007 09:31PM

I had to add a little water because it wouldn't blend without it. Next time, rather than adding water, I might blend some cucumber first to create the liquid needed. I add a lot of greens because I want to get plenty of minerals. I added 1/2 bunch of parsely last time and 1/2 bunch of dandelion greens. I suppose the proportion of greens to fruit was about the same though since I wanted enough sweetness.

Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: February 21, 2007 10:25PM

Yeah, put the fruit in first to create "liquid". Then add as much vegetable as you like. If you don't know how much vegetable to put in, how about adding a little vegetable and trying the taste as you put in more vegetable. Stop adding vegetables when you feel like it's not tasting so good. Then add just a bit more fruit.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Posted by: JGex ()
Date: February 22, 2007 12:21AM

First one - banana, apple, 2 mini cukes, romaine lettuce, hemp powder & young coconut water

Second one - banana, apple, celery, kale

Mmmmmmmmm!

Judy

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: February 22, 2007 02:39AM

what a pretty thread!

its literally glitteerriiingg!

i mean it!

Posted by: adfinder ()
Date: February 28, 2007 10:44AM

Hmmm, sounds like a good way I can add more veggies without the boring tastes and long chewing times. Few questions though...

1. Shouldn't fruit be eaten separately from everything else? I don't follow that religiously, but I'd think the extremely, health conscious people of this site would. While on that topic are tomatoes, cucumbers, etc. considered fruit to be eaten separately from veggies, etc.?

2. Some of these smoothies seem big while others not so big. Are these meals or a part of a meal? I've got a mini-blender (probably 20+ oz's, tops), is that big enough?

3. Are there any pure veggie smoothie recipes anyone has found to be good tasting?

Posted by: khale ()
Date: February 28, 2007 01:19PM

My favorite green smoothie vegetables are baby spinach, baby romaine, baby field greens and watercress. All of these are delicious with banana, mango, papaya, pear or apple or a combination of the above.

The only all vegetable smoothie I've made that really tastes good includes avocado, which makes everything taste good. And, for me, its not really taste that's the issue (as I like the taste of greens), but texture. I don't like grit or a heavy cellulose-ey texture. Avocado smooths out the greens.

khale

Posted by: KelBel ()
Date: February 28, 2007 04:39PM

Right now I am currently drinking a smoothie made with 2 celery ribs with leaves, 1/2 cup pineapple, a large handful of strawberries, and 3 large handfuls of spinach. Yummm!

Posted by: Magus ()
Date: March 02, 2007 08:51PM

I am new to this. So I am experimenting with my mixer and my greenlife juicer...

My first one today:
soaked nuts, 2 bananas, 3 tsp maca powder, 1 tsp guarana, 1 tablespoon honey plus the juice of parsley, celery, broccoli, spouted lentils & alfalfa and 1 carrot

My second:
soaked nuts, 1 avocado, 3 tsp maca powder, 1 tsp guarana, 1 tablespoon honey plus
the juice of a handful of spinach, celery, spouted lentils & alfalfa and 3 leaves of savoy cabbage

Each one come to around 1 litre.

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: March 03, 2007 01:33AM

What's the point of food combining anyway if you don't have digestion issues and do fine with the "bad combos" ? You still get the nutrients..

If I didn't mix a handful of spinach or romaine with my bananna, strawberry, +whateverfruit smoothies.. I'd be getting less greens in each day.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: March 03, 2007 01:38AM

I haven't tried one yet..doesn't sound appealing to me. I should give it a try though..might surprise myself.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: klandestine ()
Date: March 03, 2007 02:59AM

My favorites are: mango, banana and spinach; and orange, banana and kale.

Posted by: rcone ()
Date: March 05, 2007 11:10AM

Does anyone have the answer to adfinders questions. I'm new and have read the same thing. If someone could answer these questions I would appreciate. Especially not combining fruits and veggies. They have some sort of reaction to each other or something. Thanks. Ron.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables