Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Osteoporosis
Posted by: dancerinthenight ()
Date: February 22, 2007 08:26AM

Any brilliant ideas on how to reverse this? I am only 31!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Osteoporosis
Posted by: taylor ()
Date: February 22, 2007 10:52AM

well-i always heard if u had this...it was because u did not get enough calcium.but now i find out it is from too much protein.I don't know if u have even eaten meat but especially meat-leeches the calcium from your bones.anyway-i know dulse and kelp and greens like kale have hi calcium.maybe green smoothies with kale in them.the experienced others will know.do u have this dancerinthenite?take care-taylor

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: February 22, 2007 06:08PM

CALCIUM, SUNSHINE, AND EXERCISE.

My understanding is that Taylor is right about the meat, and dairy will also leach calcium from the body.

Whole (brown) sesame seeds are one of the best sources for calcium. There's more calcium in 1/4 cup of sesame seeds than in one whole cup of whole milk. You can go to nutritiondata.com and search sesame seeds, select whole dried sesame seeds, NOTE THE SERVING SIZE at the top of the page (adjustable) and go down to the minerals chart to find the calcium content in sesame seeds. Check the %DV column and write down the percent.

You can do the same with several foods and try to get the %DVs to add up to a high score. You probably don't have to get up to 100%, because my understanding is that the RDAs were all doubled. But if you already have a problem with osteoporosis, you might want to get up to at least 60% everyday. Check the cabbage veggies like kale, collards, pak choi, etc., also check oranges and apples for calcium.

You can soak those sesame seeds overnight or sprout them an extra night to lose some fat off them and make them easier to digest. I mix them with soaked or sprouted sunflower seeds. Tastes great!

Then get as much sunshine and exercise as you can, because both will help prevent osteoporosis.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2007 06:19PM by suncloud.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: February 22, 2007 07:00PM

Figs are one of the highest plant sources of calcium and oh so yummy.

Dancerinthenight-I thought you were younger. I was wonedering if you had any luck with your teaching your dad the benefits of raw.

Posted by: dancerinthenight ()
Date: February 22, 2007 07:25PM

I am 31. But living in a 90 year old body right now. As for teaching my dads the benefits of raw, until I am living the lifestyle there really is no point. I will teach and convince him when I embody what I ultimately believe in. And, unfortunately, right now addiction has a hold on me and I am eating the worst of the worse foods in huge quantities. I do not think fasting was a good thing for me - It sent me into that feast rebound thing......Balance......

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: February 23, 2007 12:13AM

dancerinthenight,

I agree about calcium, sunlight, and exercise. Leafy greens are an excellent source of calcium. Professor Roz Gruben had a high amount of bone loss before going raw and it all came back.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 24, 2007 11:31AM

What do you drink, besides water?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables