Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Vitamin supplements shorten life
Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: February 28, 2007 04:19PM

I thought this was interesting - synthetic vitamin supplements don't do much for you, in fact, it turns out they might actually do some harm.

Vitamins

I worry when I see articles like this, because people might assume that this means it isn't important to eat the right foods to get these vitamins. In fact, the article even states that this only refers to synthetic supplements, but not everyone might realize that. I have known people who think swallowing a handful of vitamins in the morning will make up for anything they do wrong for the rest of the day.

Personally, I do take a few supplements, but only the ones that have been recommended by my naturopath, and only because I am addressing some nutritional problems. Even so, I am really starting to question the value of this, perhaps food would be a better way to go.

I don't see any reason why we can't get everything we need from our food, just takes a little planning. What do you think?

Sapphire

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Vitamin supplements shorten life
Posted by: greenman ()
Date: February 28, 2007 06:11PM

This is not surprising. However, I still fell the need to take Vitamin D and B12 supplement.

No system has ever as yet existed which did not in some form involve the exploitation of some human beings for the advantage of others. John Dewey 1921.

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: February 28, 2007 09:32PM

I made the following observations:
1) If I eat cooked foods, then I feel nutritionally deficient
2) If I eat not enough fruit, then I feel nutritionally deprived
3) Raw foodists who eat plenty of fruit do not seem to feel drawn towards synthetic supplementation,

and I feel these observations are strongly related.

My approach is that I demand the highest quality nutrition. Fresh food.

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: alive! ()
Date: February 28, 2007 09:55PM

It's probably one of those studies that's meant to keep people confused about diet, nutrition and supplements. Many studies are funded by the new mafia (pharmaceutical companies) and then the data is slanted or at least the way the media reports it is slanted and the end result is exactly what was intended - confusion.

Raw is best, organic is best, natural foods are best, natural sources for our supplements (if we choose to use them) are best. Sunshine in moderate doses is better than supplements - supplements are better than no vit d. Trust your instincts!

LIfe Is Good!

alive!

Posted by: tristani ()
Date: February 28, 2007 10:12PM

rawgosia, i agree with you. when i eat cooked foods, i feel terrible. when i eat fruit, i feel great. everything else tastes weird when i eat all fruit and some veggies. i just hope eating mostly fruits is ok for weight issues.

what about fish oil supplements? those are supposed to be good for you right?

Posted by: KelBel ()
Date: March 01, 2007 11:25PM

I think that when a person is just transitioning to raw, they should take some sort of supplement until they get a good variety of food going. I am slowly trying new fruits and vegetables every week but until I feel comfortable with my nutritional intake, I will take a supplement.

Posted by: Jose ()
Date: March 02, 2007 12:12AM

I agree with alive!

Cheers,
Jose

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables