Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What's Your Definition of S.A.D.
Posted by: khale ()
Date: March 02, 2007 12:14PM

We use the acronym "SAD" a lot around here and I wonder sometimes whether or not we are all thinking the same thing when we use it.

What to you constitutes a SADiet? Is it cooked food in general? Is a cooked vegan diet SAD? Is it processed, chain restaurant, Kraft macaroni and cheese and I'll have a fry with that that you consider SAD?

What's your take?

khale

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What's Your Definition of S.A.D.
Posted by: taylor ()
Date: March 02, 2007 12:17PM

It is Standard American Diet.i think cooked and fast foods and all foods that i suppose are not alive.thanks taylor

[img10.mytextgraphics.com]

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: March 02, 2007 03:58PM

The Standard American Diet? It's a generalization, but it usually means a so-called 'balanced' diet that roughly corresponds to the published Nutritional Pyramid.

-It is a diet that is top-heavy in refined carbs and sugars, breads, cerals, pasta and pastry. It is a diet rich in meat and dairy as a main course, with smaller amounts of cooked vegetables and a very small amount of fruit as side courses. The foods are fairly liberally cooked/infused in oils, salts and sugars. There are large infusions of calorically dense and nutritionally limiting foods and beverages (like alcoholic beverages, soda, candy and snacks).

-A simple salad or an occasional piece of fresh fruit is generally the thinking limit of improving dietary health on this sort of diet.....along with a great reliance on supplments.

-It's a good question. Generally anyone who is not seeking to be more conscious of their diet through a conscious plan to become more vegetarian, vegan, paleo, raw, or natural in some other way is probably going to have some problems in the long run...but I forgive them and will do my best to support them! smiling smiley

-What do you think?

-David Z. Mason

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: March 02, 2007 04:57PM

I think typically the SAD diet consists of the last description you made with an occasional healthy meal. That is judging from the people I know. Of course there are quite a few I know that are not SAD. Before I was raw I was, what I considered, on an unhealthy vegetarian diet. I think I was considerably healthier than most SADers

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: March 02, 2007 06:54PM

The acronyn means Standard American Diet, what the general populace eats..so SAD.

If the majority ever started eating high raw..what would S.A.D stand for then? How about H.A.P for Healthy, Ample, Produce.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: March 03, 2007 01:52AM

Where's Uma!

She has the funniest SAD anecdotes from growing up.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: March 03, 2007 08:45AM

eating foods that makeufeelsad

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: March 03, 2007 12:15PM

The typical American diet of fast food, proccessed food, hardly any fruits or vegetables except what comes in their Big Macs or Subway sandwhiches. etc.

I know there are some people that aren't "raw" and believe certain ways of cooking vegetables is "healthy" (well, sure steamed veggies is better than fried with butter..). They don't eat cookies, fast food, soda, know the basics of "Bad" foods like transfats and all that..So although they're "SAD", they're not as bad. It's like another level of SAD. lol.

Cooked Vegans and Vegetarians make me laugh. They walk around with this attitude like they're so cool and so healthy because they don't eat meat and give meat eaters this "eww" look.......... all while eating french fries, pancakes, cookes, bagels, etc. For some reason if the corn chips and popcorn are organic, they're even more better than you. So yeah, I consider them SAD too. Or maybe SOD for Standard Organic Diet since Organic is the new Atkins/fad.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2007 12:21PM by LikeItOrNot.

Date: March 03, 2007 12:56PM

LikeitorNot wrote:

"know there are some people that aren't "raw" and believe certain ways of cooking vegetables is "healthy" (well, sure steamed veggies is better than fried with butter..). They don't eat cookies, fast food, soda, know the basics of "Bad" foods like transfats and all that..So although they're "SAD", they're not as bad. It's like another level of SAD. lol."

I guess we could call this B.A.D.= Better American Diet. lol

khale

Date: March 03, 2007 01:02PM

I dislike the "ewww" look/factor.

I pray I never become this way. I've met many vegetarians/vegans who, like me, grew up on meat and potato's their whole lives and have been vegan for two weeks and give you the "ewww" look.

Just goes to show that a optimal diet does nothing for subduing the ego.

khale

SAD....
Posted by: Piano Gal ()
Date: March 03, 2007 09:22PM

Turned down mouth and tears in the eyes.

Posted by: tiffany ()
Date: May 13, 2007 08:05PM

i knjow my definition might be unconventional... but i would say that anyone who is getting LESS than 80 percent of their calories from FRESH WHOLE UNPROCESSED raw plant material (fruit veggies, seeds sprouts etc) would be sad......

so anything that is MORE than 80 percent of calories consumed from the same source would be considered NON SAD...

anyone who eats at least 80 percent of calories from whole foods is DEFINATELY not your average SAD person.... but i would not call them raw fooders either....LOL.... ohhhh i guess this really is all just a matter of personal opinion.... so there is mine

tiffntwins

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables