Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Truly raw oats
Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: March 05, 2007 08:23PM

Are they healthy to eat raw? I've seen raw oatmeal cookies and raw organic oats, at some of the health food stores here in San Diego, but I'm not sure about consuming raw oats. I would eat them if I knew for sure it was fine to eat them.

Also, RawBakery.com uses a lot of raw grains in their food, and even say it's very healthy to consume grains raw.

What do you think? Thanks!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2007 08:31PM by Rawrrr!.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Truly raw oats
Posted by: rawdev ()
Date: March 05, 2007 09:59PM

There's two (2) sides to this. Actually there's two (2) sides to everything in rawfoods. 2 sides??? I'm mean many sides....

Anyways, some believe that us humans weren't intended to eat grains and others say the opposite. Well most grains sprout, so in a sense grains are sprouts. Like kamut, quinoa, buckwheat, kamut, black eyed peas and the such.......

I'll occasionally eat sprouted grains because of the nutritional benefits...

Why Vegan?
Because I have the most love and admiration for all animals of the earth!!!
a rawvegan hopeful, rawdev4life!!!

Date: March 05, 2007 11:14PM

Thanks Rawdev! I think I may try it if I'm out at a raw restaurant and they have it in one the recipes, or if I just want a treat myself to a gourmet cookie once in a while. I've read that gluten intolerance is because the grains are cooked, rather than soaked and sprouted. I've gone so many years without grains, because of allergies to grains, and on occasion, I feel like breaking down and eating an raw oatmeal cookie. Oh well, we'll see how it goes..

Posted by: morrisson66 ()
Date: March 06, 2007 01:27AM

my wife is awful about cooked gluten but I used to sprout and even just soak grains without sprouting them. I used to make cookies and breads a lot and she was fine. With that said she has a sensitivity not a celiac... but a strong sensitivity. Every 5 or 6 months I make something with spelt or wheat berries and it's ok.

Hope this helps.

Date: March 06, 2007 02:29AM

Hello Matt, thanks for the personal experience info! Maybe you could post a recipe for raw grain cookies or you have my email.

Also..sweet of you to make raw food for your wife.

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: March 06, 2007 06:28AM

I basically agree with RawDev. If you're going to eat them at least sprout them.

I mostly eat millet just because it's so cheap and easy to sprout. It's "healthy" but I don't think it's "natural" for humans..Figuring I can buy organic millet in bulk for .49lb and throw it outside and the birds go crazy pecking at it. I can't picture a bunch of humans running to a pile of oats or millet and picking up the tiny seeds with their fingers and eating them like mice do. LOL. It's even too small for the squirrels to care..They don't bother touching it unless there's nothing else around.

Posted by: Pam ()
Date: March 06, 2007 02:30PM

Here are a couple of recipes I plan to try. I got one (as well as the raw oatmeal) from Alissa Cohen's website, and I don't remember where I got the other one. But it was posted online.

I think oatmeal can be raw if it isn't heated during the rolling/milling process. Whether or not it's an optimal food for us is another story. However, I don't plan to make these cookies a steady part of my diet.

Sun Spice Cookies
5 bananas
½ cup raw oatmeal
¼ cup raisins
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon cardamom
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup sprouted sunflower seeds
In a large bowl blend bananas, oatmeal, and spices. Fold in sunflower seeds and raisins. Drop tablespoon size mounds of dough on your sheet. Dehydrate for about 7 hours, flipping them mid-way through. For decoration sprinkle dried shredded coconut.

Living Oatmeal Fig Cookies
½ c. each figs, raisins and dates
1 c. water
½ c. soaked, drained almonds
1 c. oats
Mix figs, raisins, dates and water; let soak 3 hrs. Combine with almonds in a food processor and blend well. Stir in oats, form into 2" cookies and dehydrate 12 hours at 105 degrees. Cookies should be soft. Refrigerate until use. Add cranberries and agave nectar for Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies.

Date: March 06, 2007 03:20PM

Rawrrr.. if you have a dehydrator just make some of the cookie recipes on this site. also if you like the sound of some of the breads you can make them as cookies and just make them sweeter.

if not let me know and I'll see what I can come up with

Date: March 06, 2007 05:01PM

Pam, thanks for the recipes, sounds delicious and healthy.

RawDev, millet is gluten free, I just wish I could grind up the sprouts for cookies. I'm not sure if sprouts can even be grinded up in grinder.

Morrisson, maybe I'll just buy a gourmet oatmeal cookie once in a while, since it would only be an occasional snack.

Date: March 08, 2007 12:47AM

that'd be an idea and probably won't kill ya... at least not quickly smiling smiley plus there are lots of sites that offer raw goodies like that.

Date: March 08, 2007 01:16AM

Yes, Matt! It would be a verrrry slowwww, delicous death! haha!

RawBakery.com has them and I've seen lots of recipes.

I can also get those raw grain treats here in San Diego.*sticks tongue out at you* lol!

Date: March 08, 2007 06:54AM

Rawrrr... I never said I was sad to have to make them... so some tongue right back at ya... lol... besides I'll be in San Fran in a month then up to Seattle for the summer and there are plenty of raw treaties in both places and a place in Portland, Oregon on the way... grinning smiley... ANNNNNDDDDDD there is this great place that makes raw snacks up in Vancouver, BC where my wife is from... so I'm good! of course you can resume the tongue sticking once I'm back in Pennsylvania for 8 months... oh well life is perfect enough I guess

Posted by: KelBel ()
Date: March 09, 2007 03:45AM

Since on the topic, does anyone know if oat groats are raw?

Date: March 09, 2007 03:15PM

KelBel.. apparently you can get some raw from raw websites. From what I've heard most oat groats, even if they are raw have been heat treated. The best way to test is to just buy some. They don't cost that much and see if you can sprout them. If ya can... well they be raw then. If not they are dead... there are a lot of things that are heat treated that you can actually still sprout which is amazing to me.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 09, 2007 04:49PM

first of all... oats and all grains are bad for you.. why would you eat something that is bad...
I know... if your ecology is poor then you will like them... but if you have the 3 to 5 lbs of aerobic bacteria in your body.. you would hate the taste of oats..

Date: March 09, 2007 06:22PM

Rawgetarian...

thanks for sharing.. one step at a time... one step at a time. How about letting them change at their own pace and becoming increasingly more healthy and vibrant as they go along. I don't really eat grains at all now. I used to when I first went raw but I don't see the point in pressuring people with abject negativity when they will simply find out what works for themselves.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 09, 2007 08:24PM

We shouldnt have to change our diet.. Diet should be an effect of our ecology.
not the other way around

Posted by: Pedro101 ()
Date: April 27, 2011 10:24AM

Check out my post about where to find raw rolled oats. I found that "un-steamed" oats were really hard to find so I put a few links together... Hope it helps!
[321healthy.blogspot.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables