Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Coconut Milk
Posted by: Peisinoe ()
Date: March 06, 2007 03:59PM

Hi there guys!
I buy my coconut milk at the store in sweden, sold in a can, but with no preservatives or added chemicals, just coconut and water.

I was wondering though, is canned coconut milk cooked at all in the processing?
I wanna make some "authentic pina coladas" as pineapple is my favourite fruit and it tastes wicked with coconut, but I am afraid to buy whole raw coconuts at the shops because I hear they go through a whole irradification (sp?) process, and thus I have been recommended to stay away from them.

Any insight on this?
much love,
xxpeisi

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Coconut Milk
Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: March 06, 2007 07:29PM

Unless specifically raw (there is one supposedly raw brand), then it will have been pasturised. That's how it keeps so long...

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Date: March 06, 2007 08:20PM

damn...
so many foods that I thought were raw and aren't...

SO what should I do about coconuts? My pina-coladas are gonna be all pina, no colada.

sad smiley

Date: March 06, 2007 10:47PM

Buy coconuts and make your own coconut milk - it's easy and delicious - I just had coconut milk with orange, cacao, vanilla, dates and aloe vera, possibly the best thing I have ever drunk!

I use brown coconuts because they are easy to get hold of and cheap. Blend the meat with water and squeeze through a sprout bag.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw

Date: March 07, 2007 05:54AM

But don't coconuts go through some sort of chemical or heat process before they are allowed to be shipped overseas?

Posted by: oregonisaac ()
Date: March 07, 2007 11:18PM

I love coconut milk, and the "flesh" of a young coconut is delicious, I eat one or two a day.

I was told by a friend (who still eats them) that there is formaldehyde used in the curing process before they are shipped, unless you get the huge kind direct from Florida, which are outrageously expensive. I have searched online and have not found any definitive information.

Coconut makes such a great positive impact on muscle fatigue that I do not want it to be a health hazard, but if it is I do want to know! I look forward to someone posting more.

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: March 07, 2007 11:30PM

I think all "canned" products have been heated, it's part of the process of canning.

Ian,

Posted by: sachelle ()
Date: March 08, 2007 05:38PM

HI there hun....well i have read this as well...a few weeks back there was a thread on here about who knows what that led to coconut talk haha...and we were discussing the chemicals used to treat the young coconuts..they are dipped in some chemical to preserve their white color while shipping....but the girl who was telling us about it said the thing that really stopped her from eating them all the time and now just once in a while is because some younger kids were coloring the coconuts and when they opened them up from being dipped in food coloring the inside meat and juice had been colored as well...so if that leaks in you know the chemicals have to as well....hmm maybe stick with the older ones they aren't pre husked so i don't see what reason they would be dipped in this chemical...hmm maybe rob knows...
good luck
love sachelle
xoxoxoxoxoxoxox

Date: March 09, 2007 01:44AM

No, sorry, don't know anything about it. I try and buy most of my food organic, but don't worry about the stuff I can't. I mostly eat the brown (old) coconuts, but I do sometimes get young ones, but they are whole (green, not dehusked) so I guess they are ok, but I don't really know.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw

Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: March 09, 2007 02:27PM

I've got a raw fooder friend in Thailand who sells coconut oil / butter. I'll ask him about coconuts being shipped overseas and what sort of treatment they go through. I'll copy a couple of messages and send them to my friend. I won't copy names but suppose nobody'd mind even if I did.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Date: March 09, 2007 02:41PM

OOOh thanks Troy!
That response be interesting to read. smiling smiley

xxpeisi

Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: March 09, 2007 02:44PM

My pleasure. :-)

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables