Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

sick days
Posted by: KathyT ()
Date: March 09, 2007 01:43AM

The flu has been rampant around this place, and going through my family like wildfire. I was sick for about 10 days. My question is, what do you eat when you are sick?

I found myself eating dead foods, which really put me in a cycle, because dead foods don't make me feel so good in the first place. But some of them are much gnetler on the tummy when you're sick.

So what do you eat when you are sick?

Thanks,

KathyT

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: sick days
Posted by: starfruit ()
Date: March 09, 2007 01:46AM

I just was sick to and went back to cooked stuff which made me feel worse. Hmmmm. I don't have an answer for ya. weird that our body wants that.

xoxo,
Starfruit

Posted by: taylor ()
Date: March 09, 2007 02:18AM

i was sick and was not going to eat. i did buy a bunch of mandarin oranges cause i had a cold. i ended up being on vacation and feeling crummy.i ate pretzels,whole wheat raisin cake i had made for everyone else.and sponge bob crackers.i gained 5 pounds .gald i did not go on vacation of a week or 2.i would of probably gained all my lost weight back.but i will say this-i get sick every yr. at this time for about a month.a mix of sinus,cold and flu horrid sickness.this yr.so far only a couple of days of sniffles and being tired.i think when u are sick -u are suppose to let your body heal and not eat. but i don't know for sure. i did not follow what i thought i should do and i am paying now.take care.hugs taylor

[img10.mytextgraphics.com]

Posted by: RawSun ()
Date: March 09, 2007 06:53AM

I had the flu last week.
It may have been the raw potluck I went to on Sunday, or the insaneness of being a banker at the end of the RSP season. But I woke up at 2am last Tuesday morning so nausious I couldn't even roll over. I physically 'got' sick for the first time in 10 years or so, aside from when I used to drink 5ish years ago.

Anyways, I didn't eat at all for 2 days. I'd been eating a lot of dehydrated foods prior and the thought of any food made my stomach turn. When I did start eating very slowly I ate apples one at a time, then rested for an hour, made sure I could stomach it. Still the thought of dehydrated makes me sick, as does cooked. Only fresh food for me!

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: March 09, 2007 10:36AM

Opinion:

-Folks often lose their appetite when sick - for good reason. The body / opportunistic organisms are busy cleaning house during that time. Adding extra substances to the body at that time WILL slow detox....but not do anything to build long-term healing....you know? But everyone has to weigh their own acute symptoms. Ask yourself if your symptoms are so acute that you need to slow or stop detox. That's certainly ok. Just so's a person realizes that there is nothing a person can 'TAKE' that will/should stop them from getting sick. And the lightest/least/no food taken during that time will do the most to speed full, long-term health.

-Just my opinions.

-David Z. Mason

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 09, 2007 11:25AM

I do not eat when I am sick maybe some juicing.

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: March 10, 2007 01:17AM

I crave oranges, grapefruit, and cucumbers when I'm sick - been that way since I was a kid. And lots of soup- chicken broth (no chunks) and hot & sour soup. Nothing heavy when I'm sick.

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: March 10, 2007 04:48AM

wheatgrass juice.

Posted by: KathyT ()
Date: March 12, 2007 07:10AM

Thanks. I'm much better now. I really don't just skip eating, because I'm on insulin. Last time I got the flu, I ended up in ICU because it just sends my blood sugars all out of whack. I have to eat because I have to take insulin. If I don't take insulin, big trouble. I end up in the hospital hooked up to IVs and stuff. Not good.

Pre-raw, I would push the juices and popcicles and stuff like that. Chicken noodle soup. Toast and soft cooked eggs, apple sauce, and maybe crackers.

Now I don't eat crackers, and really don't eat popcicles and sugar crud. I don't eat stuff with flour it in,so my old "sick day" standbys aren't such a good idea.

I did eat some fruit and stuff this time. I just also ate some chicken and rice soup. Staying away from the noodles, just rice with veggies, and I tried not to eat the chicken. I could have bought the broth and cut my own veggies in there, but I wasn't feeling good!

I'm gonna be better prepared next time by figuring out ahead of time what I should do. Then I won't be left clueless! LOL.

Thanks for your responses. I'm really interested in trying wheatgrass juice. I haven't yet.

KathyT

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: March 12, 2007 01:33PM

When I stay raw, I don't get sick.

When I do get sick, I stick to juices (fresh), and water. If I want more, I make veggie soup, either raw or cooked.

Posted by: taylor ()
Date: March 12, 2007 11:35PM

man! everyone in our family has been so sick.hubby and the grandsons. i only had it lite for a couple of days.so i am guessing the raw thing does work.i am so happy to be doing this.i feel so good.taylor

[img10.mytextgraphics.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables