Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

road to recovery-please help
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 10, 2007 08:45PM

Hi-
I have been suffering with an eating disorder for about 7 years. Basically i was able to sustain myself even with my poor habits for quite some time. However-i am now starting to notice the damage i have done to my body and i am freaked out.
I am 29, female.5'4" 100lbs..I have been health conscious ieyawning smileyrganic, vegetarian (although I recently started eating wild game occasionally). I was introduced to raw about 3years ago and have tried to eat raw as much as possible.

So-here is my question. All foods just feel horrible to me. I am gassy and bloated-my digestion is all out of whack. I am tired and groggy.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to a food plan or meal plan that you think would heal my body. Sometimes just hearing it from someone is good.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: road to recovery-please help
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: March 10, 2007 08:59PM

Can you share with us a typical daily menu? Perhaps seeing this will shed a little light on why you are feeling gassy and bloated.

Posted by: noelle ()
Date: March 10, 2007 10:34PM

bluebell,

i've had little experience with the raw food lifstyle, but a decent amount with eating disorders. refeeding is a slow process. some gas is expected, be it biological or psychological and, lots of people here might not agree with me on this, but i don't think your focus should be on what you're putting into your body. after a significant amount of time thinking (too much) about what are "good" and "bad" foods, the main thing an eating disordered person should realize is that their perceptions on food are not correct. it's frustrating and difficult, but i really think that if you have an eating disorder, you are doing yourself a diserviice if you put yourself in charge of what you eat.

i would suggest going to a dietician (someone who knows about eating disorders and even one who is familiar with raw foods, if that makes you feel comfortable) and with the help of them and family/friends/a doctor, demote (free) yourself from having anything to do with food and focus on other things. for a while. don't do this with a friend who is inexperienced in the area, but weat whatever an experienced dietician tells you to. even if it looks like a bowl of dirt, or pure poison; it's neither thing, it's just your brain trying to mess with you.

i know some raw dieters might not think that this is the best course of action, but eating disorders are a special group of people who have a special burden on them, all the time.

and all that stuff you hear about "eating disorders can't be cured?" it's not true. you can learn to have a clear view. whatever you decide to do, i wish you the best--good luck, ms bluebell. smiling smiley

and if you're taking antacids, you should ween yourself off of them,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2007 10:37PM by noelle.

Posted by: the enchantress ()
Date: March 11, 2007 03:23AM

bluebelle, I had exactly the same problems. I was severely anorexic and also had really bad bloating, fatigue, etc. when I was going through refeeding (even more so afterwards, when I was at a healthy weight). I eventually discovered I had a ton of food sensitivities which were mostly to blame. Your body (and head) will obviously try to rebel against feeding it certain foods, or certain amounts of food, but I would suggest gettign some allergy tests done. As tricky as it is to cut out certain foods and keep a non-ED frame of mind, it's well worth the effort - it made me feel like a whole different person! However, I think eating raw foods will help as well simply because the nature of the diet requires avoiding most of the foods that give people problems (dairy, wheat, grains, soy, etc.). But as noelle said, try not to label these foods as "bad;" instead, try and focus on what makes you feel good...eat foods for positive reasons instead of eliminating them for negative ones. Good luck!

Posted by: starfruit ()
Date: March 11, 2007 04:02AM

Hey there bluebell. I went raw to recover from 4 years of an eating disorder and it really seemed to work. I don't think about food in negative and postive ways anymore and it's not on my mind all the time which is nice. I feel for you though. I think everyone has given really good advice so listen to them. Good luck.

xoxo,
Starfruit

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: March 11, 2007 07:16AM

do u drink juices? i think it's easier on one's body. good luck.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 11, 2007 04:43PM

Many thanks to all the advice and support...truly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables