Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw potato
Posted by: ilovecarrotjuice ()
Date: March 22, 2007 01:21AM

hey whats everyones opinion on raw potatoes? is there much nutritional value? do you eat them? i tried them raw for the first time with a little salt and olive oil. wasnt bad. are they safe to eat raw? for some reason as a kid i always had some mental block to raw potatoes. musings?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw potato
Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: March 22, 2007 02:40AM

hmmm... not sure... but I do recomend not eating the "eyes" of the potato because they contain some (in low levels) toxins. better be safe than sorry.

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: March 22, 2007 03:13AM

The raw red potatoes are good for you if you have an ulcer. I've tried this and it isn't bad. I prefer German Chamomile tea in that regard. I still have yet to find the perfect raw red potato recipe. I think they would be easiest if grated and then seasoned but I haven't experimented yet regarding how to season them.

Good luck.
Therese

Posted by: uma ()
Date: March 22, 2007 03:20AM

I don't eat raw potatoes now because the only way I would enjoy them is to disguise them as something else! But, I remember at Hippocrates, they used raw potato juice as a treatment for arthritis. I forget why that is but it seemed to help.

Love,
Uma

Date: March 23, 2007 02:37PM

I guess you're right Uma, I actually seasoned them salt/pepper olive oil and put them in the dehydrator for a few hours. I dont like to use the dehydrator too much but they come out tasting yum, like hashbrowns. They are really good in a big green salad. Like potato crutons or something.

Is that how you spell crutons? I dont know. smiling smiley

Posted by: khale ()
Date: March 23, 2007 08:55PM

What about raw eggplant? I was slicing and dicing one yesterday and took a taste and thought it tasted pretty good raw.

Is there any particular reason people don't eat them raw?

khale

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: March 23, 2007 10:11PM

found this on the net;

The name eggplant in the United States, Australia, and Canada developed from the fact that the fruits of some 18th-century European cultivars were yellow or white and resembled goose or hen's eggs. Aubergine is the British name given to this fruit, from the French aubergine, derived from Catalan albergínia; from Arabic al-bãdhinjãn الباذنجان, itself from Persian بادنجان bâdinjân.

Because of the eggplant's relationship with the Solanaceae (nightshade) family, it was at one time believed to be poisonous.

maybe deep down we still think it is on some level .. i dont know ..i cant eat raw mushrooms to this day because as a child i stuffed some magic mushrooms in my mouth while watching goats eat and i guess i was mimicking them or something ..anyhooo that landed me in the hospital at 4 years old on my frist psychodelic shroom trip lol

now if i try to eat a raw mushroom of any kind i just hurl lol smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2007 10:13PM by Jgunn.

Posted by: Felix ()
Date: March 23, 2007 11:12PM

Those mushrooms can sure trip you up! LOL

As far as potatoes, it all depends whose opinion you want. I read that during World War Two, some people survived on only raw potatoes for months.

Dr. Norman Walker who lived to be 109 years old, said that raw potatoes are edible and have a lot of good nutrients (potassium, Vitamins A, B, and C).

Others think that what is below ground should be left there.

I think, if you eat them raw once in a while and you like them, they won't do you much harm. I don't think they have the same appeal as fresh ripe fruit.

I think the same goes for eggplants. smiling smiley

Proverbs 15:17 (New International Version) "Better a meal of vegetables where there is love than a fattened calf with hatred."

Posted by: uma ()
Date: March 25, 2007 03:11AM

Yum, raw hash browns! I used to dehydrate sweet potatoes to make chips with some olive oil and salt and spices. But now that I don't eat oil or salt very often, it's not as much fun.

Eggplant -- for me, fruit that is pretty starchy raw tends to be less appetizing and harder to digest than less starchy fruits. But if it appeals to you and doesn't give you problems, why not? you can dehydrate it and use it as a crust for a raw pizza or make little roll-ups with a thinner slice of it (mandolined) wrapped around some filling. i've had eggplant that way (roll-up) and it was great.

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: March 25, 2007 06:12AM

wow, u guys are so creative.

I used to cut fresh sweet potato or yams (idk which one, the orange red kind) and use them as "chips" for guacamole.

and I used to grate them in my salad.

I don't care for them too much anymore tho.

regular potato always makes me feel gross after eating it. I didn't know anyone could eat regular potato with out feeling grossness?

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: March 26, 2007 01:11AM

caca

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: March 26, 2007 01:40AM

Raw yams are not safe to eat either, in high quantities anyways. Cooking destroys tthe toxin in Yams. The only yam that is safe to eat raw is the mountain yam. Its a japanese yam. In japanese its called yamaimo.
From Wikipedia: [en.wikipedia.org]

Date: March 26, 2007 02:56PM

Sweet potatoes and yams are two entirely different vegetables. We are probably more familiar with sweet potatoes. I dont think I have even ever seen an actual yam. I took coconutcreams advice and googled it.

[www.wisegeek.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables