Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

New to the Forum - Have Questions
Posted by: sunshineTX ()
Date: March 24, 2007 06:01PM

Hello everyone,
I have been reading your posts for a couple of months now and am now getting up the nerve to join. I have been experimenting with raw foods for almost a year now (only about 50%, but way better than I used to do). I, like many of you, were raised on cooked foods and animal products. I have always been on the "thin" side, but since cutting out animal products, I have gotten (maybe) too thin.

You may tell me that I need to add more calories, and maybe so, but I was wondering if there are any foods you would suggest that I eat that would help to build muscle. (I need to start working out again too.)

Also, are there any good books or internet sites that you could refer me to about the health risks of eating meat and about how animals are treated? My husband and I got into a debate last night about whether or not it's cruel to kill cows for their meat. He just said that we've always done it, and I said, just answer me this, "Do you think it's OK to be cruel to animals?" and all he could say was "no". Believe it or not, he is a big animal lover! I want to educate him!

I also just want to say that I have enjoyed reading your posts and have already learned alot from this site. Thanks everyone!

SunshineTX

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New to the Forum - Have Questions
Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: March 24, 2007 06:17PM

Here's a couple of videos you might want to look at. As for gaining muscle, I'm no expert, but I believe you have to increase your calories, and exercise. I don't know if there are specific foods you should consider, but The Fruitarian One looks pretty fantastic on just fruit and exercise, so I bet more fruit would be a good start.

Meet your meat

Raw foods

There is a ton of information on the internet, and a lot of really great raw food books out there - you are going to be amazed at the benefits of a raw lifestyle!

Sapphire

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: March 24, 2007 09:58PM

PETA has some pretty extensive video footage on their website just google it ...its pretty sickening how some animals are treated

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 24, 2007 10:48PM

You can watch Earthlings here.
[video.google.com]

I hear it's very painful to watch.

Date: March 25, 2007 12:06AM

Hi there

Everyone has pretty much taken care of you....

As far as the muscle stuff goes, here's an article I wrote on the subject:

[z12.invisionfree.com]

Posted by: sunshineTX ()
Date: March 25, 2007 04:35PM

Thanks so much for the information and links. Very informative!

I do have a followup question for The Fruitarian One. Do you believe that one should finish detoxing before beginning strength training? I have noticed that when I work out, I get nauseated and feel weak, I'm not overdoing it, so I'm wondering if it is because I'm still detoxing. Any suggestions???

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 25, 2007 04:56PM

hm. Well, for an ultamite workout, you need to eat carbohydrates (fruit salad, veggies, sprouted grains) around an hour before, and protien (sprouted beans, nuts, seeds0 an hour after. that way, you wont get tired as your body uses it's preferd source of energy for the workout, carbohydrates, and when the muscles need to build, they can draw from the protiens. i hope this helps...

and about your husband- we have not "always' been raising cows to die!! Let him know that these animals are RAISED to be FOOD. they don't get to LIVE. and when they are living, they are in constant misery and torture. They have to lie in thier feces, most can't even stand. What we have "always" been doing (argumentallly) has been chasing after many diferent viraitys of animal, and eating what was needed for survival. We didn't pick one to live for our benefit.

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: March 25, 2007 09:44PM

>>Well, for an ultamite workout, you need to eat carbohydrates (fruit salad, veggies, sprouted grains) around an hour before
no

>>and protien (sprouted beans, nuts, seeds0 an hour after.
and no

sunshineTX: if you are still including various cooked foods and especially incorporating animal products you probably arn't experiencing much detoxifying effect. more likely you arn't getting the calories and/or nutrients for energy you need from your diet for functioning/ healing, nevermind for excercising.

you can do strength training throughought the process for sure. better off doing it at the level you are comfortable at doing, and also in my experience on a empty stomach. work up an appetite for fresh simple carbohydrates (fruit). if you are tired. do ONE more then stop smiling smiley

i'm not suggesting you have to up the % raw you are at. you might want to experiment more with dropping certain things entirely from your diet, like processed starches (pasta, bread) etc.. that will give you a slow, but speeder detox.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables