Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

how to choose dragon fruit (pitayaha)
Posted by: cynthia ()
Date: March 25, 2007 04:12PM

hello,

I'd like to know how to select a perfectly ripe pitahaya. Since a little while, there are some available in the grocery store here (in the nearby town).
Thanks for any advice and tips,

Cynthia

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how to choose dragon fruit (pitayaha)
Date: March 25, 2007 10:10PM

so ? nobody eats them ? well, I just had one till now, I' m not impressed although they look beautiful...

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: March 25, 2007 10:28PM

there are lots of different varieties. the ones that are magenta inside are the most sweet that i've had. there are white ones too that are not as sweet.

the magenta ones taste like heaven.

just make sure they are squishy to the touch. not overly squishy. like ripe avocado status.

mmmmmm... my favorite. i wish i lived in a place where they grew all the time. what a delicacy to have here. P=

Posted by: uma ()
Date: March 26, 2007 05:11AM

MmmmMM I LOVE dragonfruit! I cut them down the middle and eat each half with a spoon, it's like a bowl of ice cream! Some people don't think they're sweet enough but to me they have such a delicately wonderful flavor. I don't have a lot of experience picking them but I make sure they aren't rotting or anything. I don't know if they actually import UNripe ones to the US.??

Love,
Uma

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: March 26, 2007 09:39AM

I ate the dragonfruit that ws white inside. The one I ate was the most bland fruit I have ever eaten.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: March 26, 2007 11:39AM

dragon fruit
i want one
where when i open it up
with my bare two hands

a purple dragon comes out of it
and says

" howdy there!'
whassup?

Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: March 26, 2007 02:29PM

LaV, I have a feeling reality is only a mental leap away.

I was told at least once how to choose a good one. In Thailand, where they were fresh. Plus, I don't know where the ones you're getting in the US come from.

I forget exactly what I was told so I haven't responded, until now. I'll just say what I think I was told.

Anyho', seems like they said to look for ones where the wings (!?) are folded over, not straight. You'll know if they're folded up. Just look closely for a second or two.

And see that the place where they've been cut from the plant has browned (?).

If they're spotted with what looks like insect holes, great, maybe they've not been heavily sprayed.

Aside from this, yeah, a bit of a give when you gently squeeze one.

In Thailand the white flesh is by far the most common. There are some red ones but I had a couple and was not so impressed. Not nearly as tasty. I was told there are yellow fleshed ones too but never saw any.

They're wonderful on their own. Just spooning the flesh out and spooning it into your mouth, then savoring the taste ... mmmm. But blending them with pretty much any other fruit also makes a nice smoothie. There's so much water in them that they blend really easily. Try a durain / dragon fruit smoothie!

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Date: March 26, 2007 10:59PM

Thanks everyone !!! the one I ate was white inside, too bad it was not the magenta kind -

Cynthia

Posted by: learningtofly ()
Date: March 26, 2007 11:59PM

Dragon fruit is one of my favorite fruits. I don't have much experience with the white ones, but I do with the purple ones. I suspect they're fairly similar.

The fruit becomes mildly sweet only at the very end of its growth, so if it's picked too early, it won't be sweet. I once bought a case of them and noticed that the sweetest ones were the ones with cracked skin. These had fully matured and were opening up on their own. Those were phenomenal. Others looked like they had been picked too early ("aborted"winking smiley and those were not sweet, although still refreshingly juicy.

Dragon fruit gets soft with age; when they are really fresh they are firm (and ready to eat). The leaves/scales should not show any decay, as that means the fruit's been sitting around for weeks.

I love dragon fruit!

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: March 27, 2007 02:45AM

Dragon fruits!

The sensation surrounding this fabulous fruit can be attributed to a legend created by ingenious Asian marketers.According to the legend the fruit was created thousands of years ago by fire breathing dragons. During a battle when the dragon would breathe fire the last thing to come out would be the fruit. After the dragon is slain the fruit is collected and presented to the Emperor as a coveted treasure and indication of victory. The soldiers would then butcher the dragon and eat the flesh. It was believed that those who feasted on the flesh would be endowed with the strength and ferocity of the dragon and that they too would be coveted by the Emperor.

It is written that the dragon’s flame originates deep within its body near the base of its tail. The meat from this part of the dragon was the most desirable and most sought after portion. Only the officers of each division would be privy to this cut of meat. The ancient Chinese called this cut the “jaina,” which translates literally to “the sweetest and best tasting.” The jaina was treasured by all who were privileged enough to taste it, and it is believed that man’s thirst for the jaina is what led to the destruction and eventual extinction of all of the dragons.

Apparently these fruits are easy to grow as well. Just plant the seeds in soil and you will grow a dragon fruit bearing cactus. I have not tried this yet, but will as soon as I see dragon fruits in stores again. Right now I am in LA, and one of the people that live in my friend's housing complex has a dragon fruit cactus in their yard. This variety is very small and white. Someday I will go to their natural habitat since it is by far one of my favs.

mmmm... dragon flesh... Could it still be considered vegan? winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2007 03:51AM by Bryan.

Posted by: uma ()
Date: March 27, 2007 03:50AM

Yay! I am glad there are fellow dragon fruit lovers out there. I thought I was alone!

Love,
Uma

Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: March 27, 2007 03:29PM

Jen, you might want to check into whether growing from seeds will work. I remember that Thais who grow them grow them from a cutting, not from the seeds. Ask your friend with the plant.

Thais usually have the plants grow up a post then around an automobile tire that they've secured horizontally to the post. How has your friend done it? I'm curious.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2007 03:31PM by TroySantos.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables