Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

CAN EATING LIVING FOODS HARM TEETH
Posted by: Tadey ()
Date: March 27, 2007 08:04PM

I feel like I spilt my tooth in the back. HELP! There is something hanging back there. Can it be from the fruit or the nuts? Will eat heal it self? Do I need to go to the dentist? Any Ideals? PLEASE HELP.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CAN EATING LIVING FOODS HARM TEETH
Posted by: dafodil ()
Date: March 27, 2007 08:14PM

I would say to go to the dentist asap! Hope you feel better-
Dafodil

Posted by: ella ()
Date: March 27, 2007 08:15PM

yikes. i don't know.

are you brushing after you eat acidic foods- oranges, etc.
even still, you should brush after every meal/snack- or rinse if you can't brush.

chew greens! lots of them.

see a holistic dentist.

tooth health is from the inside out too.

photos

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: March 27, 2007 09:00PM

-Eating well will not immediately heal prior dental cracks, fissures or problems (this is just my experience). One still needs to be careful when biting into that cherry! Ha! ha!

-If you are worried or in acute discomfort, I would certainly see whatever health professional you trust. Otherwise....just keep eating healthy...and don't worry about it.

-David Z. Mason

Posted by: flex4life ()
Date: March 27, 2007 10:57PM

the back of my bottom middle tooth split the day before yesterday, I held it in my fingers and was able to crush the remains almost into a powder. I don't know what is going on, maybe I need more protein? Because I really don't see anythign else that is missing from my diet.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: March 28, 2007 12:44AM

i'm no expert on teeth, but I think as far as eating habits go its usually what one IS eating that contributes to teeth problems, no? think about why kids get cavities. alot of people talk about the faliure of teeth in a fruitarian diet is due in large to the free-reign on nuts, ie. binging on nuts, which meany people are more conscious of now for other resons. I think things like poor quality citrus WILL lead to tooth problems but other people will argue otherwise. can't hurt to swish your mouth and floss.

as for the protein issue I have to agree with this thread thats is almost impossible to be deficient in protein if you are meeting your nutrition (caloric, whatever) needs

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

I havn't been doing any concentrated protein (nuts, sprouts etc...) and I net 70 g or so of protein a day. it could be that i'm even getting too much protein because I juice greens, although I won't stres over that one.

as for a general tip which I think applies to teeth. I like to 'wadge' greens when I chew, meaning I chew them repeatedly without swallowing any of the fiber. I use my tongue to kind of 'press' the liquid out. and I just throw more down the hatch while i'm doing this.

its a good method for proper mastication (mixing with saliva) which I can only guess does good for the teeth (along with lots of chewing which is also supposedly good) and also it leaves you with a fiberous wad simlar to a piece of overchewed gum or spitball which I chew on for a bit. works great with celery.

I would say without knowing anything about what you eat. try adding more celery after meals, especially fruit.

Posted by: flex4life ()
Date: March 28, 2007 12:47AM

thanks for the tips! I think I will go easy on the lime and lemons in my smoothies and try chewing greens for a change instead smoothying everything smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: fruitgirl ()
Date: March 28, 2007 03:30AM

dude, with those muscles
i'm thinking you could easily crush
coconut shells to powder

Posted by: KelBel ()
Date: March 28, 2007 01:25PM

Too much citrus has been shown in some cases to weaken teeth enamel.

KelBel

Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: March 28, 2007 01:35PM

There are people who say that bacteria don't cause cavities. Acids do, they say.

Here are a couple of links and quote from those links. Some of the things that both of these people say contradicts with things that other people say, but this is to be expected, no?

At the very least, I find these sources interesting. I feel there's value in reading these.

[www.paradisenow.net] (this quote is right about half way down the page)
"...according to sources I find convincing, two factors, one structural, one nutritional, form the basis of tooth decay: structural weakness of teeth on the one hand (due to insufficient mineralization = lack of minerals) and attack by acids leaching out calcium on the other. Acids in their turn both stem from acidic foodstuffs but particularly are a byproduct of bacterial decomposition of food rests from refined edibles (white flour, sugar) and highly concentrated natural sugars (as found in dried fruit etc.). Hence the overriding importance of cleaning and flushing out any and all food rests, and more particularly the prevention of plaque deposits (where germs colonize)."

[gerardjudd.com]
(ref 4) Tooth enamel (essentially calcium phosphate) reacts with all acids to form cavities (see any chemistry text dealing with solubilities). The proton of the acid pulls the phosphate right out of the enamel, and fast. By drinking a sip of water along with the acid during eating, the acid reacts chemically with water immediately to form hydronium ion and thus the enamel is saved. One can use milk or coffee for the same purpose, since they are both non-acidic. Dr. Albert Schatz, Nobelist who discovered streptomycin, found several decades ago that sharks' teeth with their excessive fluoride would dissolve just as readily in citric acid as ordinary non-fluoridated teeth, laying to rest the hypothesis that fluoride would stop cavities. The dental people (American Dental Association) pushed aside this discovery and Dr. Schatz' discoveries regarding excessive baby mortalities caused by fluoridation in Chili, South America as insignificant. They returned his mail 3x unopened and would not deal with him.

Some harmful acids (with pH <4) which are tart to the taste and attack the enamel include lemons, grapefruit, oranges, pineapple, kiwi fruit, tomatoes, vinegar, cider, vitamin C (especially chewable) and stomach acid. The lower the pH, the more rapidly the acids attack. Body acid (extremely weak) is insignificant in this process. Non-acid foods such as beans, bread and potatoes have no action on teeth. Worry about such foods is over. The only worry about non-acid foods is if they will crack the teeth due to their hardness. Chewing ice, unpopped corn kernels, extremely hard nuts, bones or other hard objects is not smart, since teeth do have a breaking strength.

This next one is not about acid, but is very relevant to the rest of this thread. And it's very inspiring and motivating to me.
(ref 5) Reenamelization of the teeth occurs when they are clean. All toothpastes make a barrier of glycerine on the teeth which would require 20 rinses to get it off. A good solution for clean teeth, which I have used for 5 years, is bar soap. Wet the brush, swipe the bar two or three times with it, then brush the teeth thoroughly and the gums gently. Rinse with water three or four times. All oils are washed off the teeth and the gums are disinfected. The bacteria are killed by the soap. The teeth are then ready for reenamelization with calcium and phosphate in the diet. The enzyme adenosine diphosphatase delivers phosphate to the enamel surface. Do not use liquid soaps. Their different composition is harmful to the protoplasm.

Reenamelization is necessary on a daily basis because the enamel leaches slightly with water as well as the bones over decades leading to holey bones and holey teeth even in the absence of acid attack. Without reenamelization, we could never have good teeth.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Posted by: Peisinoe ()
Date: March 28, 2007 05:36PM

Just want to add (dental student here),

check your calcium intake... Most rawgetarians don't get enough minerals and this is crucial for strong teeth.

I agree with the flouride bit, which gets me a lot of critisism from my classmates/collegues. I do not believe it works, never use it, and I don't have any holes. I brush with a tad of baking powder and rinse. So far so good, I have not had any problems and kind of have a reputation for my amazing healthy teeth.

Are you flossing?
The back teeth are easy to miss, and are especially exposed to bacteria if you neglect to floss.

Mmmm, and another note:
DO NOT BRUSH for one hour after eating acidic fruit. It wears down your enamel further if you do this because brushing is too abrasive immediately after you eat fruit. Wait at least an hour first...

That is all,
xxpeisi

Posted by: Connie Boo ()
Date: March 29, 2007 02:51PM

Troy

What kind of soap do you use? I Think some soaps have glycerine, so I wasn't sure which ones were good.

Date: March 29, 2007 03:39PM

Connie, I use an olive oil bar soap. I've asked the company that makes it what's in it and they said it's just olive oil, nothing else. So no glycerine. But you know, I just thought, olive oil is liquid at room temperature. So there must be something else in there. I forget exactly what the company said. But I did ask specifically about glycerine and they said there isn't any. So what makes it a solid at room temperature? I have no idea. And why do most soap makers use glycerine? Again, I have no idea.

Dr. Judd just says to use any bar soap. If I remember correctly, he recommends Ivory Soap. ? But I agree with the ToothSoap lady who says she feels that with all the various ingredients in commericial soaps that she wouldn't just use any ol' soap.

I found a place on eBay called, I think it's something like, Jerusalem Olive Company. Something like that anyway. Jerusalem is in the company name. I bought one bar from them and I think it'll last longer than my teeth!!

Can't say I notice any benefits from using it. It doesn't taste bad in the least anyway. At least not for me. The ToothSoap lady (I still forget her name) says soap tastes awful awful awful and that's part of the reason she developed this ToothSoap stuff.

Does this post shed any light on your question? Maybe not!!

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: March 29, 2007 03:53PM

Get a water pik, and add a bit of hydrogen peroxide in the water..and rinse your mouth out every night before bedtime. It helps a tremendous amount..keeps bad bacteria out which helps to keep pain and additional harm to teeth at bay.

See a good dentist, today they are so far advanced in their dentistry it's amazing. Or find a holistic dentist but they cost more and any dentist is not cheap.

Love,
Prism

Date: March 29, 2007 04:13PM

Just to paraphrase from some of the reading I've done, something from this link
[www.paradisenow.net]

"Dr. Hulda Clark advises in The Cure For All Diseases: “Don't use toothpaste*, not even health-food varieties. To clean teeth, use plain water or chemically pure baking soda—but dissolve it in water first, otherwise it is too abrasive. Or brush with hydrogen peroxide food grade, not the regular variety. Don't use floss; use 2 or 4-pound monofilament fish line [I use simple thread.]. Floss has mercury antiseptics (with thallium pollution!). Throw away your old toothbrush—solvents don't wash away. Don't use mouthwash. Use saltwater (aluminum-free salt) or food grade hydrogen peroxide (a few drops in water).” Don’t use hydrogen peroxide, however, if you have metal in your mouth because it will leach out some of the metal.” Information on Dr. Hulda Regehr Clark's body detoxification protocols."

Once again, something about bacteria. From a dentist who says it's acids that we should be concerned about. A Dr. Gerald Judd says that bacteria don't cause cavities. Acids do. Maybe I'm just naive, but this is pretty convincing for me.
[gerardjudd.com]

"(ref 9) We know that bacteria have nothing to do with loss of enamel. Witness the billions of animal and human remains in the earth which have lost all the flesh and are reduced to tooth enamel and bones. It is quite evident that the teeth have been through bacterial contact but are unaffected. The same with human teeth. They cannot be affected by bacteria, because there is no carbon or hydrogen in enamel, which bacteria subsist on. Study of streptococcic mutans as a source of so-called "decay" is a waste of government funding donated to dental organizations."

Posted by: noelle ()
Date: March 29, 2007 06:31PM

Oh my god! You poor man! I can't offer any advice but I have nightmares like that. I'm sure people offered great advice, but I'd see a dentist. EEEEK!

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: March 29, 2007 09:23PM

hmm, interesting about using simple thread instead of floss.

Posted by: Tadey ()
Date: April 01, 2007 04:48PM

I don't know what's happen but my tooth heal it self there is nothing hanging there any more. I have been chewing my greens very well than leaving it over there with that bad tooth. I can brush my teeth with no problem now.

Thanks for all your help
tadey

PS. If I eat nuts I will be soaking them first.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: April 01, 2007 06:17PM

alot of what dentists do are scams, do not get root canals and ( that will kill your tooth and it will rot onside your crown) definitely no mercury, I don't care if thye dentists say its safe, ITS NOT

Posted by: rawrnr ()
Date: April 03, 2007 09:24PM

Parry

u R a Hottie

Where do yuo live?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables