Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Grape cure
Posted by: toughguy ()
Date: April 06, 2007 09:25PM

hey cream girl,
don't worry! we all feel helpless from time to time!
I'm gonna try this grape diet too
you inspired me girl!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: April 08, 2007 05:46AM

Day 7 I think. I am not sure. I get some headahces sometimes, no detox symptoms, yet, that is bad huh?

I like black grapes. seedless. I know seeds are good but they are such a pain.

me on he beach today

Posted by: annie27 ()
Date: April 08, 2007 05:57AM

Your frequent photos really enhance whole forum experience for me.
(Maybe partly because I love Florida so much)

Anyway, it makes reading some threads here so much more vivid and immediate

Posted by: zenpawn ()
Date: April 11, 2007 11:18PM

I just received this book and, of course, went immediately to the Raw Food Diet chapter to see what he had to say. I was surprised to find he did not generally speak very highly of it. sad smiley In fact, he concludes that once illness has been overcome, one should return to cooked foods.

-Erin
Raw Done Light
dogma-free RAW
Gazpacho For The Soul

Date: April 12, 2007 01:14AM

Zen pawn? What book? The Grape Cure was written by a woman.

Posted by: zenpawn ()
Date: April 13, 2007 03:52AM

That would be The Detox Mono Diet by Christopher Vasey, N.D., mentioned earlier in the thread by Uma. It's basically two books in one, with The Grape Cure being the second half. The first part is a discussion of the various healing modalities of mono diets in general and one utilizing grapes in particular.

-Erin
Raw Done Light
dogma-free RAW
Gazpacho For The Soul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2007 03:57AM by zenpawn.

Posted by: uma ()
Date: April 13, 2007 06:36AM

Yeah, considering he also wrote a book called "The Healing Powers of Milk" or something, I figured I wouldn't resonate with everything he had to say. Still, I ordered the book because I figured it would be interesting and insightful to read about the benefits of a mono-diet for healing, from someone who isn't even biased towards raw.

I am reading the Grape Cure book now. Her enthusiasm is inspiring and it's making me want to do the grape diet too! She does feel the grape has medicinal properties... I don't know if she ever tried going as long on any other juicy fruit to see if that was comparable, or if there was really something unique about the grape.

Love,
Uma

Posted by: fruitgirl ()
Date: April 13, 2007 05:43PM

resveratrol

Posted by: Dulset ()
Date: April 13, 2007 06:11PM

Got that book too, (the detox mono diet) how frustrating to know there's healing for so many in such a simple way and so few know of it!

I am going to try it too but Dr Vasey said of the two body types, the robust, warm person and the easily cold skinny person, grapes might not work as well because the cold types have trouble with more acidic fruits.

I am the cold and skinny type but may try it anyway. I know I could do it with watermelon mmmmm but Johanna Brandt felt that the grape had very special detoxing capabilities.

I think Dr Vasey wanted to expalin autolysis. That's where when you fast your body starts to digest itself - staring with the least necessary stuff like tumors.

Posted by: Peisinoe ()
Date: April 13, 2007 10:21PM

HEy guys!

How many pounds of grapes do you eat a day, approximately, on a grape fast?
And on a banana fast, how many bananas per day?
Thanks,
xxpeisi

Posted by: Harmony ()
Date: April 13, 2007 11:53PM

There is no set amount of food. It will vary with each person. When I do a mono diet, I eat as much as I want. I.e., with watermelon, I was hungry for it most on the first day. I ate 1 whole large watermelon that day. The following days, I noticed I wasn't *truly* hungry because I desired other things, but not watermelon. That indicated to me that it was merely appetite. If it were true hunger, *any* food would've been appealing. So in the following days, I found myself eating only 1/2 a watermelon. I think it'd be the same case with any mono diet. I imagine if only eating when truly hungry, one would be eating small amounts. Maybe just a pound or 2 of grapes per day. The closer the mono diet comes to a fast, the more cleansing it will be.

Are you thinking of trying a mono diet? It's a great feeling when you're ready for it.

smiling smiley

Posted by: cy ()
Date: April 14, 2007 12:44AM

I heard that grape and it seeds are wonderful for your health.There is a suplement called grape seed extract that is very good for you.I'll check this up.

Posted by: Peisinoe ()
Date: April 14, 2007 01:29AM

I am thinking of trying this fast, but I don't want to hurt myself.
I am kinda skeptical when it comes to fasting, and I don't really have any liver or gastrinomical ailments, so I am not sure how the grape fast would really benefit me. I need to do some more thinking about this. I also don't want to damage my metabolism...

I also wonder if the hunger you were feeling was a craving for vitamins and minerals you weren't getting from the watermelon, and that is why you wanted other things, and not the melon?

I am still not fully sold on the idea of fasting...
Hmmm...
And if I do fast, I don't know which fruit to choose.

xxpeisi

Posted by: Harmony ()
Date: April 14, 2007 02:33AM

It would be difficult to hurt yourself in the short term.
Consuming one fruit for a short time is not fasting...it's a mono diet. Fasting is when you are consuming nothing but water. Most anyone can benefit from a fast or mono-diet. The body would appreciate the rest and extra energy to devote to some house-cleaning of its stored wastes and surpluses.

I would recommend doing plenty of your own research before embarking on a fast or mono-diet if you have fears/concerns. A great source of information would be the classic works of hygienic authors such as Dr. Herbert Shelton. You can find some of his works online for free reading at soilandhealth.org. Here is one chapter of his in particular that pertains to the mono-diet (or elimination diet, fruit cure, etc.): [www.soilandhealth.org]
Another nice free source is rawfoodexplained.com This is most of TC Fry's LSHS course. There is a wealth of information out there.

As far as which fruit to choose, any juicy fruit would be great. It's not so much what you're consuming, but rather what you're NOT consuming. There is no magic food or substance; only the body can heal and cleanse. The body is intelligent and will know what to do when given the opportunity and left to its work. We just need to get out of its way!

GL!

Posted by: lemoned ()
Date: April 14, 2007 05:33AM

A long long time ago, the first book about raw I ever read (German author Helmut Wandmaker) mentioned grapes as antiseptic/antibacterial food that should be eaten in a mono diet when in season during the fall of each year as part of a seasonal cleanse.
I did in fact eat them in mono sessions for a few years but I found that over time, I am not doing well on too much grapes as they are too sweet and seriously space me out (same as bananas). Makes sense to me how it is mentioned every once in a while that the original grape is much more sour than what we get nowadays at the stores.

Date: April 21, 2007 04:27AM

maybe the grapes space you out because you are cleansing and have a lot of stuff that are toxic inside. That is a symptom of cleansing most people experinece

Posted by: miaculpa ()
Date: April 21, 2007 05:28AM

rawgosia-

I bought a ton of black grapes after reading your posts on them all week! LOL

Btw, delish! My kids LOVED THEM. I usually buy the red, but the black ones are now a favorite. Thanks so much!

Mia

SPACING OUT
Posted by: miaculpa ()
Date: April 21, 2007 05:48AM

Wow, interesting comment, Suvine.

My biggest boggle on the 25th day of raw (from omni cooked), has been the bouts of what I thought were immense attention deficit 'space outs'. I had no idea that it could merely be another symptom of detox!

Ok, I must be pouring off the toxins lately. I've been spacey even for MYSELF.

I am nearly ready to go the mono diet thing. I am pretty convinced that I'd do fairly well as a fruititarian, too. I seem to do better on fruit than, say, the hubby does. I don't crave the huge salads he seems to crave.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: April 22, 2007 05:59PM

Hey guys,
The grape cure/cleanse sounds great, and I'll probably try it this summer for a few days. I just want to share one little caveat that I learned on Stanley Bass's site. He did the grape cure when he was a young man and he said it really messed up his teeth. So brush and rinse!

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: wallace ()
Date: September 19, 2007 06:41PM

I did it for two weeks and would recommend it as it is very easy I found. I will definitely do it again and for longer next time.

I am now going to try Doug Grahams 10/10/80 regime and see how I do on that. the Vasey book is O.K though it could have been better.

Sunny thoughts,
wallace

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: September 22, 2007 04:42AM

Coconut cream,
How did the mono-diet go? Did you continue? It reminds me when I was in high school I went on an alfalfa sprout monodiet. I had never heard of anything like that, and nobody taught me. Its just that for whatever reason it was the only thing that tasted good for me at the time. I'm not sure how long I was on it, but It seemed like it was for several months. These awful dark circles and sags under my eyes went away. Which is weird, why would a teenager have dark circles in the first place? My skin became incredibly luminous and clear. I continued running and working out, and it became easier. I look back at this experience and now i wonder how I could ever doubt the value of a raw food diet. I think I had it right as a teenager listening to what my body was asking for, and not going by someone elses notion of what is best.

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: September 22, 2007 07:21PM

Uma,

People used to have wonderful results fasting on raw milk/raw clabbered milk. Since it has been Pasteurized and homogenized it's a different product entirely.

Date: September 23, 2007 07:00PM

A couple of years ago I did the raw milk diet for a month but was disappointed in that my health problems didnt improve.

There is an old book I got second hand on it.

wallace

Date: September 23, 2007 10:00PM

ewwww raw milk, why not drink human milk if you are gonna do that?

Date: September 25, 2007 03:20PM

Any thoughts on a Banana mono diet?

One experience I found on the web.

x
Wallace

Monday, September 3, 2007
4 Days, 180 Bananas

4 days ago, we began a 7 day banana mono diet, under the direction of Dr. Doug Graham. Suzanne, Tasha, and I are eating only bananas. Christopher is eating bananas, but other fruits also. In 4 days, we have eaten 180 bananas.

If anyone had told me that I would undertake such a thing, I would have assured them that they were mad! First, I could not see the value of such an eating plan, and would have viewed it as one of the many fad diets I have tried in the past. Secondly, I would have said that I would never do it; I would have been certain that I would have cheated before the 7 days was over. This time, however, I was convinced of its value and determined not to fail.

The first three days, I had no energy and slept most of the time. Three days! But I ate bananas. All I ate was bananas. The girls fared better. They felt fine on their banana feast.

Today, I woke up feeling much, much better. I felt like Rip Van Winkle, waking up from a deep, deep sleep. I would not say I had super energy, but certainly as much as I needed to accomplish my normal activities. I am still eating bananas. Only bananas.

I have learned a lot from this mono diet. I am still learning, every day. I now eat when I am hungry, not because something sounds or smells or looks good. I eat until I am full, and then I cannot take another bite. I do not have to think about what I am going to eat, I am going to eat bananas.

Today, I did not want to eat bananas. I made a glass of banana milk for breakfast, but could not finish it. At 3:30, I was feeling hungry, but could barely eat one banana. I did feel very thirsty and drank lots of water.

This afternoon, I went to the mall and to the movies. Afterward, I went to four stores, trying to find organic bananas. I was surrounded by the sights and smells of foods I have loved in the past. They smelled wonderful. They looked delicious. I could almost taste them, but was never tempted. I do not mean I would not have liked to eat them, because I would have, but I have resolved not to. I am determined to learn a different, healthier way of eating, of living. I know those tantalizing foods would not take me where I want to go.

When I came home, it was 7:30, and by then I was really hungry. I cut up a bowl of bananas and poured banana milk over them, like a cereal. They tasted delicious, the best cereal I had ever tasted! I ate two bowls and made a third, but the first bite no longer tasted good, I was satisfied. I will not eat again until I have my banana breakfast in the morning.

We asked Dr. Doug why he suggested 7 days of bananas. He gave us the following reasons for the mono diet plan:
You heighten the sensitivity of your taste buds.
You give your digestive system a chance to have a (relative) rest.
You get completely free of stimulants, allowing your brain chemistry to normalize.
You take a major step away from drugs in foods.
You experience the ultimate of how easy a raw food diet can be.
You set the stage for totally enjoying and appreciating truly simple, low-fat raw vegan fare.

I believe we are accomplishing all of this and more. Thanks Dr. D!
"Truckload of Bananas" from Flickr

Posted by Raw Vegan Family at 5:37 PM

Labels: 811rv, DR. Doug Graham, raw food, vegan, veganism

2 comments:
Kristen's Raw said...
Wow, it seems you are learning a lot about yourself. That's awesome. Keep up the great work and thank you for sharing your journey.

Cheers!
Kristen Suzanne

September 7, 2007 8:35 PM
Raw Vegan Family said...
Thanks for stopping by Kristen. I had a chance to check out your blog, and added it to the blog roll at Naked Food Cafe. smiling smiley

September 11, 2007 5:48 PM
Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Date: September 25, 2007 03:28PM

The above came from
[bananaislandgetaway.blogspot.com]

Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: September 26, 2007 03:38AM

Aloha all,
How fitting I came across this thread while feasting on organic concord grapes!

Suvine, Did the Grape Cure book specify either seeded or seedless grapes? For the last week I've been drawn to seeded grapes, I've always gone for seedless, but now I love chewing up and swallowing the seeds. The grapes seem to taste better too, but I'm not sure if that's just because my body wants me to eat grape seeds. I know grape seeds are supposed to have some health benefits, but I can't remember what they are.

I'm thinking I'd like to try a brief mono diet of grapes. I've never done a mono diet before (I've only been raw for a few months now), but I love grapes, so I think it would be pretty easy. I'll let you all know.

Date: September 26, 2007 05:14PM

When is it appropriate to do a mono diet? I have recently decided to go raw again, and just started a few days ago 100%. One week before that was a high percentage.

Date: September 27, 2007 05:05PM

I don't remember, you can get it online very cheap, the book. These days I drink alot of watermelon juice. Thats mono.

Date: October 07, 2007 11:51AM

Coconutcream,

I'm a bit confused. You look very healthy and beautiful. Why would you need a grape cure? I suppose if you instinctively are drawn to it, there must be a reason. I have heard of a woman who is fruitarian for 12 years doing mono fruit diets. One melon mono diet lasting 6mo! She says she feels the best on single fruits, the most joyful, energetic.

Its enough for me to be high raw at this time, maybe sometime in the future I could do the mono diet thing.

Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables