Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Grape cure
Posted by: wallace ()
Date: November 01, 2007 01:45PM

Nice to know I have got company! good luck! Its very popular in France by the way.

wallace

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: November 02, 2007 03:37AM

Wallace,
Sorry to take long to get back to you. I stopped the monodiet in the end of the third day. I also went on a little trip to another state. I found that the monodiet really changed the way things taste, even for just a few days.

I also found that even vegan cooked foods can make me feel not so good. Meat and dairy is not appealing at all, its amazing how ones taste and perception of food can change so much. Even 'light' animal foods just don't appeal.

I still start each day with fruit. I would like to go back to eating primarily fruit, if not exclusively fruit. I seems like the best food to eat for so many reasons. I just wish that it was socially easier.

Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: November 02, 2007 09:11PM

Wallace,

Do you remember anything about the French research on grapes and iron? I'd love to read it.

It seems like you are doing so well! :-)

Love,

Gypsy

Date: November 07, 2007 03:23PM

Day 28

Gypsy its in a little book called the petit guide a la cure de la raisin and people on the diet were shown to have higer iron levels. Up til the WW1 the grape cure was very popular in France/Italy.

Vasey in the detox mono diet mentions that the grape cure is very good for anemia partly because just fasting will increase one s iron levels.

This week has been the most difficult, I am going through a bit of a healing crisis(I think!). I have felt very tired and have spent a couple of days in bed.
Dont feel however I should end the cure yet!

Wallace

Posted by: dvdai ()
Date: November 09, 2007 02:41AM

I read this blog two days ago and it motivated me to monodiet on bananas, cause that's what tastes good right now.

I already feel AMAZING!

david

Posted by: uma ()
Date: November 10, 2007 05:35AM

Mono eating really helps me. I want to do it with bananas or citrus this winter once other stuff gets less interesting (persimmons!!).

If you want knowledgable support during your mono diet you might visit Doug's board. He advises mono diets pretty often.

Love,
Uma

Date: November 12, 2007 02:14PM

Day 32

Getting a little tired of grapes but am going to continue. I dont think I will go longer than 2 months.

It was a healing crisis that passed. S o back to normal now.

Has doug ever mentioned a grape mono diet?

Brandt thinks that pasteurised grape juice works as well, no idea if she is correct on that.

This diet is great for weight loss by the way!

Wallace

Check out www.christohervasey.ch for info on mono detox diet book.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: November 12, 2007 05:43PM

i'm on a mono chanting diet
just chanting ONE thing every day
all day

its helping

oh, its a good word

what i am chanting

it helps me get deeper into it
did it before for 4 days and had a friend do it for just ONE day

and he said amazing things happened to him
like people seemed to be treating him a lot nicer, smiling to him etc.

okay..

grape ,, huh? must spit out a lot o seeds

its all good

if u think it works for u, it probably will

something to be said about making it simple

by not putting stuff into your body which makes the unique enzymes compete with each other

somehow the thought of going mono on fresh organic blueberries

appeals to me

Date: November 13, 2007 09:58AM

day 33

skin has improved(I have psorarsis) and possibly physical stamina as well.

W

Date: November 13, 2007 07:06PM

Wallace, you are doing so great!!! Thanks for sharing!

Love,

Gypsy

Date: November 14, 2007 09:17AM

Wallace,
Do you have before, during and after photos of your progress on the grape mono-diet? I find this interesting. what major changes have you noticed? Is your taste and smelling power changed? I noticed my taste was much more sensitive on just a few days of mono dieting with apples.

Date: November 15, 2007 03:08PM

day 36

Today added Argilitz green clay as I feel I am missing something, I take a tablespoon a day in water. see www.argilitz.com

Getting very tired of grapes hence the need for something else(the clay!)

I add sugar/honey to my herbal tea which isnt stricly allowed but I have low blood sugar.

Mislu, I feel very much I am at the start of this process, I think I will need several grape cures. So its too early to talk about real changes. I have lost about 12lb and am now at my optimal weight, which feels and looks good! I dont have a camera!

I rest convinced that the grape cure is more effective at tackling chronic illness than Dougs 10/10/80 regime.

Wallace

Date: November 16, 2007 03:21PM

I have ordered this book below ;

WAllace

“My concern is not to persuade people that they should stop eating. My hope is that they will begin to change their way of thinking, including the way they think about eating and drinking” —Michael Werner

“What Michael Werner wants is to demonstrate that the generally held view of the world being solely physical and solid cannot be the whole story”—Neue Luzerner Zeitung
In 1898, Therese Neumann, a nun in Southern Germany, stopped eating and drinking. Apart from the wafer given at Mass, she did not eat again until her death thirty-five years later. Similar cases have been reported over the years—often holy men from the East—and have assumed mythical status. Nonetheless, such accounts remain obscure enough to be safely ignored by modern scientists.

Michael Werner presents a new challenge to sceptics. A fit family man in his fifties and with a doctorate in Chemistry, he is the managing director of a research institute in Switzerland. Unlike those who have achieved such a feat in the past, he is an ordinary man who lives a full and active life.

Werner has become an open challenge to all scientists: Test me, using all the scientific monitoring and data you wish. Here, he describes one such test, in which he was kept without food in a strictly monitored environment for ten days. Werner describes in detail how and why he gave up food in the first place and what his life is like without it. Life from Light also features reports from others who have attempted to follow this way of life, as well as supplementary material on possible scientific explanations of how one could “live on light.”
Michael Werner was born in 1949 and holds a PhD in Chemistry. He has worked in the chemical industry as well as pharmaceuticals and has taught secondary school chemistry and biology. For the past fifteen years, he has been managing director of a cancer research institute at Arlesheim, Switzerland. Since the publication of this book in German, he has embarked on an ever-increasing schedule of lectures and a lively correspondence with numerous individuals.

See all titles by this author

Thomas Stöckli was born in 1951. He has worked as a freelance journalist, as a teacher at middle school level, and as a lecturer on teacher training and educational research. For the past twenty-five years, he has been deeply concerned with spiritual questions and personal development and has authored many articles and books. He is currently endeavoring to link spiritual ideas with scientific thought, while conversely countering dogmatism in science.

See all titles by this author

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: November 17, 2007 02:52PM

I am a fruitarian and I ponder EATING ME, at times,like hibernatung animals. I think I can do it, why seek anything outside of oneself? even food?

but then I say, hey I like to eat. hahaha

Date: November 19, 2007 11:25AM

As a little experiment from today I will try just surviving on grape juice, I may abandon this after a couple of days - but who knows!!

Wallace

Date: November 19, 2007 07:35PM

DO IT and GOOD LUCK!

david

Date: November 19, 2007 07:37PM

I'm looking forward to hearing how you feel on just the juice, Wallace. It's inspiring to read your updates!

Lots of love to you,

Gypsy

Date: November 20, 2007 06:30AM

Coconut cream,
I think its amazing. Do you eat only fruit? I now have to ask, if I want to know, as one never knows what a 'fruitarian' really is. perhaps your a raw vegan? Either case, i think its amazing.

Date: November 20, 2007 02:21PM

day 2 on just grape juice, doing o.k. In the grape cure book by brandt she mentions that if you get tired of just eating grapes then you should just go on grape juice for a week or two. I am drinking around 2 litres of juice a day. In any case I was only eating half a pound of grapes a day so this isnt much of a change for me.

Below is an article from the London daily mail about Michael werner who has lived on just juice for six years! I have ordered his book.

Extraordinarily, the 58-year-old doctor of chemistry and father of three from Brunswick, northern Germany, claims he gets all the sustenance he needs from the sun. Oh, and the occasional coffee, fruit juice or a glass of wine if he and Angelica are enjoying a night out.

"I call it light nutrition," he explains. "But one can also talk of ethereal, Prana, Chi or cosmic energy ... it's all the same thing."

It's also known as Breatharianism, or the belief that the elements contained in air - nitrogen, carbon dioxide, oxygen and hydrogen - can sustain a body.

So far, so daft. But Dr Werner isn't your average nutter. He's a bright, well spoken scientist who was so surprised at the consequences of his bizarre diet - just four coffees and two fruit juices every day for six-and-a-half years, plus that occasional glass of wine - that he's written a book about it called Life From Light.

"I'm actually a really normal person," he insists. "Not a freak, or someone with some amazing phenomenon - just a Joe Normal."

It all started in 2000 when the Werners had a friend over for supper. "It was a stroke of providence," he says.

"One evening an old acquaintance of my wife came round for dinner. We noticed she'd become very thin, even a bit haggard, and ate nothing.

"But when we asked what was up - whether she had a problem - she told us that she'd wasn't eating any more. She claimed she didn't need to because she'd gone through a very special conversion programme and was now living from light nourishment alone."

While some people might have suggested she saw a psychiatrist, post haste, Michael - who was overweight (15 stone), unhappy and unhealthy with a passion for pizza and all things spiritual - was intrigued.

And, finally, after nine months of build-up and the New Year's Eve potato salad blow-out, he gave it a whirl - starting with a strict acclimatisation programme to help his body adapt.

"It takes three weeks," he says. "The first week is really strict - eat nothing, drink nothing.

"Every doctor will tell you this is not possible, but it is. It sounds hard, but living without water for seven days is very possible - it's all about being in the right frame of mind.

"The crucial factor in this 21-day process is self-belief. If you believe you can do this then you won't give in to the hunger.

"On the eighth day you can have some watered down fruit juice - to cleanse your body with the antioxidants.

"In the third week, you can move on to stronger, more concentrated juices. And in the last seven days, your body stabilises and gets used to its new regime."

But what about the grindingly awful hunger?

"You won't feel the burning hunger if your mental attitude is right," he says crisply. "This isn't about dieting, but respecting your body."

But he does admit to losing more than two stone and looking "like a dried out tortoise" at the end of the three-week period.

Of course, fasting isn't new. It dates back to Biblical times, was rigorously practised in Judaism and recommended by Jesus both by example and teaching - to strengthen the spiritual life by weakening the attractions of sensible pleasures. But for a matter of days and weeks - not years. To be frank, it's a miracle Dr Werner hasn't died.

Experts differ as to the absolute maximum time that human life can continue without water, but the broad consensus rests at somewhere between seven and ten days, though severe dehydration and confusion (due to the build-up of sodium and potassium in the brain) would set in sooner. In the desert, of course, lack of water can kill in a matter of hours.

So if Dr Werner is telling the truth, then his body really is extraordinary. And at six foot and 12-and-a-half stone, he's not even particularly skinny. And he claims to feel wonderful.

"I feel healthier and more vital than ever. My powers of resistance and regeneration are stronger. I'm hardly ever ill any more. Psychologically, I feel stable and mentally enriched, have much better concentration and memory than I used to and now only need five or six hours' sleep, rather than the eight or nine I used to."

And what of his libido - has it been diminished by a diet of coffee, juice and air?

"The opposite!" he trills. "Every perception - whether it is sight, skin or other sense organ - is more intense. My potency has become even stronger."

But isn't what he's doing a form of anorexia?

"Oh no! I don't eat out of a love for my body - not because I hate it. Anorexics generally have a negative rejection of their own body and food. I feel very good in my body, even feel more closely bound to my body than before.

"I've always had a very positive relationship with food. I enjoy being present at mealtimes and often think I even enjoy them better than if I were to eat!'

So what does he do at mealtimes?

"I take part in them, of course. I always drink something - sometimes water, sometimes tea, sometimes coffee, depending on the situation and my mood."

There are an estimated 5,000 Breatharianists/light nutritionists worldwide, of whom Werner

claims to know about 30. The movement has a chequered past.

In 1983 Wiley Brooks, the founder of the Breatharian Institute of America and who claimed not to have eaten for 19 years, caused outrage when he was allegedly caught ordering a chicken pie. And several female followers have died after fasting and falling into comas.

Australian Ellen "Jasmuheen" Greves was a leading proponent of the movement in the late Nineties - lecturing all over the world on the benefits of a diet of light, air and one packet of biscuits in 10 years.

However, scepticism crept in after reporters visiting her Brisbane home found it crammed with food - which she insisted belonged to her second husband, Jess Ferguson, a convicted fraudster.

And a British journalist accompanying her to her check-in desk at Heathrow was astonished when the BA clerk asked her to confirm that she'd ordered an in-flight vegetarian meal. "No, no," she replied. "Well, yes, OK, I did. But I won't be eating it."

And an attempt in 1999 to test her skill ended in near disaster. The controlled experiment, under tight security, ended after four days amid fears for her rapidly deteriorating health. She blamed the failure on the stressful circumstances under which the experiment was conducted, rather than lack of food and water.

But where Jasmuheen failed, Dr Werner claims to have proved his capabilities.

"I have taken part in two ten-day studies where everything was monitored - my blood pressure, urine, heart rate. Much of my energy comes from light and the atmosphere. I absorb energy from light - like plants - and this allows me to function fully.

"It serves as proof that I am doing what I say I am, but we still can't pinpoint how exactly. There are many questions that can't be answered yet."

Including a rather obvious one. How can he lead a healthy life on a diet of nothing when thousands of people starve to death every day? After all, there's plenty of light in Africa - couldn't all the hungry people there adopt his principals?

"Fundamentally, I am convinced it would be possible," he says. "The problem is they are convinced they will starve if they don't eat," he adds. "But I do not in any way believe that light nourishment is a method of solving the world hunger problem."

Certainly, other medical experiments have found no evidence that there is any way for starving individuals to be kept alive.

During the closing years of World War II, 36 men took part in an experiment at the University of Minnesota in which they were subjected to semi-starvation and lost a quarter of their body weight. They suffered a variety of symptoms including anaemia, fatigue, apathy, extreme weakness, irritability and mental problems.

Medical experts are unanimous in their disapproval and scepticism. Even if you survived the initial fasting period, existing on a diet of light, air and coffee for an extended period is likely to be fatal. Even Dr Werner says he would not recommend it to others.

But he says he suffers no ill-effects even six-and-a-half years into his experiment. Is there any food he misses? "Occasionally, I'll bite into some chocolate or a slice of pizza - just to annoy my three children. But the enjoyment of eating stops as it hits the back of my throat.

"But I still love being with food, to see and smell it, particularly fried, in a cafe - that is something very fine. Now and again I get an appetite - when I might eat a couple of grapes or a nut. But these days I can take it or leave it."

Not surprisingly, he comes under constant pressure to eat.

"Dealing with the practicalities of light nourishment is not simple. I am often asked when are you going to eat again? I can only answer, I don't know.

2I can only say I would be stupid to eat again, as I am doing really well. Better than ever before."

Well, perhaps. But we have only his word for it and if ever there was an experiment which should not be tried at home, this is it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2007 02:22PM by wallace.

Date: November 20, 2007 05:50PM

Thanks for the interest in my "experiment'.

Wallace

Posted by: veggiel0ve ()
Date: November 21, 2007 03:39AM

wallace what day are you on!??! you are simply amazing. i am thinking of doing it

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: November 21, 2007 03:52AM

I wonder how Michael Werner would do without his coffee smiling smiley

Date: November 21, 2007 06:34AM

my partner wishes I was breatharian...he hates food!

Date: November 21, 2007 12:08PM

day 42, I feel marginally better on just juice so will continue this for a while.

I dont think Michael werner is a fraud, though I havnt read his book yet. I do think this is possible and it challenges conventional nutrition as well as NH. Though have NH writers discussed this? Any thoughts?

Werner eats like this for health reasons, his body was breaking down eating food.With chronic illness soaring I feel this has to be examined as a possible pathway. It does require a lot of discipline, thats for sure.

I have no intention of drinking coffee!

Wallace

Date: November 21, 2007 12:11PM

P.S Do people hear generally think all Breatherians are frauds because its not scientifically possible???

Wallace

Date: November 21, 2007 08:12PM

at one time maybe, but my way of thinking has been under constant challenge and change since becoming raw so I couldn't say its impossible and feel honest about it.

Tomorrow might bring something enlightening that opens my eyes!

david

Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: November 22, 2007 02:24AM

Great article Bryan!! Very interesting.

actually, did you mean to post this in the "Youkta" thread? either way it's a cool article... Thanks

Re: Atheists
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: November 22, 2007 02:37AM

Greg,

Yes, this ended up in the wrong thread. I was looking for it and wondering why it wasn't showing.

Grapes
Date: November 22, 2007 09:53AM

A question, are we so polluted that we some of us dont just need a few days on juices as NH writers argue, but to remain well, we need to follow this lifestyle permanently as Werner etc is doing? Have times changed? Is this part of the new solar consciousness that is emerging?

I think we need to keep an open mind and not instantly reply with a negative or sarcastic response on these questions and be attentive to the changes that occuring to us and our planet.

Health is awareness as NH writers say.

wallace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2007 09:54AM by wallace.

Re: Grapes
Date: November 23, 2007 12:10PM

day 44, still on juice only.

The evolution of thought with NH is some cooked food,just raw fruit and vege,and now mostly raw fruit. Perhaps in the future NH will recommend those with chronic illness to take just a little fruit juice as Werner is doing? I dont rule it out as it seems to be consistent with NH thought just using food and not drugs or supplements.

D.graham and Dr shelton have different diets so what will NH writers say for the future?

If people get better by eating nothing and walking out of the hospitals I see it as a major change in consciousness, 2012 has already begun!!

Wallace

Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables