Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

I want to feel full
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 02, 2007 04:11AM

I've found I have the discipline to stick to strict food regimes and adapt well to new eating patterns so switching to a living and raw food diet would not be difficult for me. I've been interested in it for some time now. As a matter of fact I just bought my first raw food cookbook!The Raw Gourmet by Nomi Shannon (anyone familiar with this one? I'd be interested in your thoughts!). I have the sort of income that would allow me to go to the grocery store every day until I learn my particular eating style and what my personal staples are.

Here's my problem. I haven't started the raw food diet yet mainly because I wanted to discuss this first so I don't get discouraged...I have a hyperthyroid. It's so borderline the doctors say I have nothing to worry about just yet and being on medication will give me more side effects than my condition does already. But what it does mean for me is that I'm hungry ALL THE TIME! Or at least it seems that way. I get ravenous sometimes and perhaps it's just because my body is conditioned this way, but oftentimes I feel as though the only way I can keep my body from crashing is to eat heavy, processed food. This is where my lifestyle changes fail. It's not so much a yo yo dieting thing because it's not a psychological binge and purge. It's that sometimes perhaps I am too strict and because I'm so active my body demands more energy.

I was wondering what common mistakes there are in the raw food diet for newcomers that prevent them from getting all the nutrients they need and also how to make sure I feel full. Another important thing is what are some good, small, nutrient dense snacks I can fit into my waiter's pouch so when I work a twelve hour shift with no break I have something that will take care of me and I won't have to resort to eating restaurant food?

Thanks so much for your time, I know this post was long winded. And I appreciate any tips!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I want to feel full
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: April 02, 2007 09:22AM

i dunno
can u fit salads and whatnot in that pouch of yours?

maybe nuts will work
but put a plastic zip lock bag in the pouch to put food in there otherwise it will get ruined

but if u get a break
eat a salad
put it in a tupperware thing already pre made by you with the salad dressing already in it marinating it ( that u made, some recipes here too)

your boss will love you
since your not eating their food

and make an example of you smiling smiley

if yer hyperthyroid and all that
and u feel like u have to eat a lot
then eat a lot of whatever u make

til u start getting better
and then can balance amounts etc.

do whatever it takes
its worth it

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: April 02, 2007 02:28PM

The most common mistake made by many new raw foodists is to eat too much fat. I'm not talking the levels of high fat found in the Standard American Diet (42% fat), but even higher! (like 60% fat or more).

Get a feel for how much fat is in various foods and ingredients. A tablespoon of olive oil is 120 calories of fat. A medium avocado is about 300 calories of fat.

As for eating on the job, bring a bag of fruit with you that you can keep in the back room, and snack on the fruit during the night. Since fruit are pretty juicy, you won't want to keep in your pouch as it does't carry well when half eaten.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: April 02, 2007 03:17PM

Your restaurant must have fresh salad makings, and fresh fruits for fruit bowls don't they?

You can pack celery and almond butter in baggies, dates, raisins, walnuts and other nuts.

I'm not going to dispute that you get not breaks in a 12 hour period, but if you really don't maybe you should find a job that treats you kinder. Being hyperactive probably helps in keeping up with that kind of job.

Take care of yourself.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: rawrnr ()
Date: April 04, 2007 12:34PM

eat at mc donalds!

I remember feeling FULL - like a BRICK in my stomach!!

lol

Posted by: alicenubby ()
Date: April 04, 2007 01:27PM

yeah dried fruit.

Posted by: fruitygirl ()
Date: April 04, 2007 02:32PM

Feeling full is just an illusion!

Posted by: fruitgirl ()
Date: April 04, 2007 04:09PM

hey fruitygirl,

are you my illusion
am i yours

real or not
welcome!

Date: April 04, 2007 08:46PM

Think I'll go with the nuts idea. That's the most practical for work.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Posted by: bronwynsun ()
Date: April 05, 2007 12:40AM

try a banana with raw tahini...or two...or three...

some may say it's too much fat but i crave this like crazy and eat it almost every day, and i feel incredible. i need a lot of cals/energy though, so it may differ for you specifically.

Posted by: kategreen ()
Date: April 05, 2007 01:00AM

I find that grapes and baby carrots fill me up

Date: April 05, 2007 02:43AM

Soaked and then dehydrated hulled buckwheat is a great snack between meals and will fill your hunger gap. Buckwheat is low in fat and high in protein and carbs. It's not a grain it's a seed or fruit. It's gluten free. Soak over night or 8 hours, pour off slimmy stuff that comes out. Finally, dehydrate for 8 - 12 hours. The buckwheat will turn crisp and you can take them anywhere. Please let me know if this works.

Posted by: jono ()
Date: April 05, 2007 03:10AM

fiber and fat will help you feel full (say that 10 times fast)... a couple of avocados will do the trick... or just eat half of a large watermelon. nuts are nice too. its best to eat regularly throughout the day, rather than stuffing yourself in 3 large meals.

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: April 05, 2007 04:18AM

If you want a quick fix, try Larabars. They were about 99% of my daily intake when I drove from Phoenix to Ohio in 2 days. Outside of water and one adventure into an order of Fried Okra (hey, I was in the South), the Larabars were the only thing I ate. I ate the Cherry Pie, the Apple Pie, and the Chocolate Coconut as they were in the variety pack I purchased at Costco.

Larabars can get expensive so it is best to find an alternative like a raw apple or banana, or dehydrated fruit (there are not as many enzymes in dehydrated fruit, though). You might also try having some juices on hand as they can be quick and filling.

Good luck.
Therese

Date: April 06, 2007 11:20PM

I love avocados and yes they are very filling! I'll try the buckwheat, too. I'm planning on purchasing a juicer in the next couple of weeks (thought I'd start trying the Green Drink on a daily basis) and buckwheat sprouts was an ingredient, I believe.

Posted by: Bikini ()
Date: April 07, 2007 05:45PM

Take 6 or 7 really large medjool dried dates, ( remove the pits) slit in half, smear with raw almond butter inside and create mini date and almond butter "sandwiches". These are delicious, easy and filling and can be transported in a ziplock bag or tupperware.

Also, I made a lot of hearty nut and seed pates from Nomi Shannon's book in my early days raw. I ate it with cut up carrot sticks and/or celery sticks and black raw olives and had no problems transporting it in tupperware to work. It's not messy and easy to eat on the go with a spoon.

If you have access to a dehydrator, flax crackers are great portable snacks too.

i breathe in
i breeathe out
peace
love
joy
Bikini

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables