Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

new to this - question about supplementing
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 04, 2007 08:37PM

Through inspiration of some good people and reading The China Study, I have been a vegan since March 12! And I haven't missed meat or dairy one bit! And thru some further research, I am learning about the raw vegan diet, but I still have a lot to learn! I was introduced to a vegan a few weeks ago who convinced me to buy these products called Earth Greens. It is a green powder of organic vegetables that you mix in with water and drink 2-4 times a day. You also mix the green powder with a white powder, alkalizer. I have been feeling energized but wondering if any of you think this is necessary. I am gradually eating more raw and one of my goals is to eat raw. I eat a lot of vegetables througout the day. I have at least two big salads of all raw veggies each day. I eat a little fruit too. I also have been snacking on seeds or raw fruit and nut bars. I am also fortunate to live right down the street from a fantanstic raw restaurant and market so I pick up entrees from there quite often. I feel like I've gotten off track from my question, but do you think these supplements are a waste; they do cost $90 a month.

Lisa

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: new to this - question about supplementing
Date: April 05, 2007 04:53PM

I just want to add---does anyone on the raw food diet supplement? Either multi-vitatmins or other supplement? I eat a lot of veggies, but not a huge variety on a daily basis.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: April 05, 2007 05:17PM

ive been coming to the conclusion that supplementing is a bit of a waste of money. I used to take hanfulls of vitamins a couple of times a day. Again i tihnk if you feel that is what you need at the moment then go with it , its what i did and i slowly stopped buying into them and spending my money on whole foods that are alive ..rather then dried up substitutions with no life force left in them

this is just an example

a comparison between raw garlic and powdered garlic shoes The difference in values reflects a potential loss of 40% of the alliin due to the powdering process.

the whole study here [www.herbalgram.org]

Posted by: Dulset ()
Date: April 05, 2007 06:28PM

I'm using a lot less of my expensive Natures Best Greens as I transition (it's been 6 months) but will use them up but not get them again.

I take a B12 supplement still. I am thinking of trying E3Live but I'm a sucker for what looks like a good supplement.

Posted by: alive! ()
Date: April 05, 2007 07:01PM

Welcome lisalovesveggies! I love your name!

Many of us take b12. I've been a vegan for quite a while and feel like I'd like to be on the safe side. I still think that there's a riddle somewhere that we aren't aware of on the b12 issue and that we can get everything we need from plant/water/sun/air. But things have changed some since humans first walked the earth - so I figure maybe it's a good idea. You can do a search on this site to see what type of b12 people recommend.

I use Vitamineralgreen in smoothies - I don't have much appetite in the am and I need to bulk up my morning smoothie so that it lasts till afternoon. Plus I consider my green powder a super food and not a supplement. I take vitamin d in the winter months - if I'm not out riding my bike and getting sunshine. That's about it. I think raw people are more drawn to superfoods than supplements. So many supplements are not natural, not utilized all that well by the body, and amount to mostly really yellow expensive pee pee!!!

Life Is Good!

alive!

Date: April 05, 2007 07:43PM

Thank you all for your suggestions...I will look into b12. I love this message board. You are all so knowledgeable and supportive!

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: April 05, 2007 07:44PM

i still do B shots from time to time when im feeling like i need it ..seems to help smiling smiley

Posted by: dafodil ()
Date: April 05, 2007 07:59PM

I personally don't take supplements...I think they are a waste of $. If your eating as much green food as you say, then I would think you don't need to drink powdered green stuff. The point about getting enough b vitamens was true enough, though. I get mine through nutritional yeast added to food from time to time. I think if you eat a diet rich in fruits, veggies, and some healthy fats (nuts, seeds, avo's, coconut, etc) then you don't have to worry too much. I am no doctor, so if you have a deficiency or something, then by all means take whatever you need to. I just choose to think of food as medicine.

Posted by: uma ()
Date: April 06, 2007 02:08AM

I used to take large quantities of supplemlents and eat a lot of complicated raw foods. Now i eat really simple, and don't spend a dime on supplements. What was my experience was when i needed supplements, the way i was approaching the raw diet wasn't working for me.

Love,
Uma

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables