Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

prenatal vitamins
Posted by: arie ()
Date: April 05, 2007 06:56PM

My doctor is pressuring me to take prenatal vitamins... pretty much trying to convince me that if I don't, I'm at a horrible risk of having an unhealthy or even deformed baby. From what I've researched on my own, this doesn't seem to be true at all, but I was wondering if anyone on the board has experience with a pregnancy without supplementation?
I track what I eat on fitday (since I got pregnant) and I seem to get plenty of all the nutrients I need, except calcium, which I do supplement. Why should I take those huge artifical vitamin pills, and take the risk of getting sick from all that iron?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: prenatal vitamins
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: April 05, 2007 07:11PM

i hear folic acid is really important for some reason ... i dont know why , i dont have kids ... i preferred to have puppies smiling smiley

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: April 06, 2007 02:36AM

i heard this during my pregnancy, and tried for a few weeks to take the vitamins. and puked them up every time. i kept eating my raw foods, and just tried to not talk about it with the doc.

halfway through, when i moved to the NE, i started eating more cooked food. Then i craved the vitamins. then i went back to raw, and they made me sick.

so, i have a beautiful, amazingly healthy one year old now.
listen to your body, the docs have some stuff they are drilled in, but it's not always best for you. if the vitamins make you sick, it's work for you and the baby and could possibly be overdosing you on some vitamins.

if you know you're balanced, you are probably a lot better educated about these things than even most nutritionists.
peace-

Posted by: taylor ()
Date: April 06, 2007 10:02AM

the vitamins always made me sick as a dog.on my 3rd child,i did not take them.i was surprised that i actually quit puking all the time. i guess now days according to my daughter who is having kids-when u go to the drs. now...they tell u to not take them till your tummy settles down some.what about eating foods with folic acid in them?good luck-taylor

[img10.mytextgraphics.com]

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: April 06, 2007 04:36PM

arie,

Most people eating a cooked food diet are probably short in vitamins, as cooking destroys a lot of vitamins and minerals found in whole foods. If you are eating a raw diet, that is not high in fat, you will be getting a tons of nutrients (vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, fiber, etc) per calorie as compared to people eating a cooked diet.

Posted by: lemoned ()
Date: April 06, 2007 06:26PM

The samples and prescription prenatal vitamins, omg they made me so sick. And huuge stomach aches from the iron, only after taking them a few times.
Extra folic acid is said to be important before conception/right after, supposedly preventing a condition of the spinal cord in the earliest stages of pregnancy.

I did supplement with a "lighter" version, which is getting the minerals and vitamins separately and take magnesium here, calcium there, zinc the other day etc. etc.

You're on top of things by checking your intake and I thinka bloodtest would speak volumes to your doctor. Don't you get checked for iron on a routine checkup?

Posted by: arie ()
Date: April 06, 2007 09:31PM

Do they check you for nutrient deficiences at check-ups? I'm only just out of the first trimester, so I don't know yet. That might help the situation, though. My doctor does seem to think I'm a little nutty. (>_<winking smiley But the way I figure it, women had babies for millennia before prenatals were invented... the baby's dad's sister had two healthy girls without vitamins as well, and she's a nurse to boot!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 06, 2007 11:11PM

I threw up all the time when I took prenatals when I was pregnant. My kids are both healthy. I think if you got a lot of Folic acid before becoming pregnant and eat a lot of leafy vegetables you will be fine.

Posted by: lemoned ()
Date: April 08, 2007 03:34AM

Well I got tested for the iron levels a few times. Alternatively you could request a bloodtest from your general practicioner to get tested on all kinds of stuff if you are worried....But again I think you are doing well by tracking your intake and you don't have to prove a point to the doctor.
I was in a few web-groups during my last pregnancy and I remember being upset and grossed out when "cravings" where discussed and they always were about junk food and totally empty calories. Yes, those ladies *do* need prenatal vitamins.

Posted by: Joe Gray ()
Date: April 08, 2007 05:14AM

I'd make sure to take Folic Acid, B12, DHA (you can get vegan DHA caps from numerous websites) and get plenty of good fats (hemp, flax, coconut oil).

By I I mean I if I was a woman. winking smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables