Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pure Food and Wine page
Posted by: dafodil ()
Date: April 05, 2007 09:20PM

Has anyone been to the Pure Food and Wine website? I have the recipe book and its great, but was wondering after checking out the web page for the restaurant, HOW DO THEY MAKE THOSE CAKES?????? When you go to the "menu" section and scroll through, you see these desserts they are making, and its crazy how they look like cooked cakes...texutre and all....Does anyone have any idea HOW they do this? All the cakes (raw) that I have made, and have recipes for, are usually quite dense and heavy and chewy...the stuff on their site looks pretty light. I'm not looking for "cheesecake-y" or "mousse-y" type cakes either...I'm looking for something that resembles a real, old-fashioned chocolate cake. BTW, I know most likely I won't find that, but I don't think it hurts to ask! I'm craving chocolate in case you couln't tell! LOL! tongue sticking out smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pure Food and Wine page
Posted by: benetgirl ()
Date: April 05, 2007 09:36PM

hey, ive been to their rest. its awesome. they also have a takeout place on the side of the restaurant. which i visit every week. i love chocolate. i usually buy their ice cream. sooo goood!!!! everything is good. but they do have a ubique taste, and sorry to say but if u r lookin for like a soft or sponge cake i dont recall that they have it. its very brownie like, harder. most of the dough is made out of nuts i believe. but please try some of their stuff. their lamars are good as well as others. or try goin tio their restaurant. smiling smiley

Date: April 06, 2007 05:05AM

I would love to, but I'm in Colorado! I just saw the pic of their stuff....it does not look like the stuff I am used to seeing thats raw treats....thanks for the info though!
D.

Posted by: Bikini ()
Date: April 06, 2007 05:24AM

I had the pleasure of interning with them and can tell you that while their cakes are not "fluffy" as in traditional cake, they are light years ahead of the soggy nut and fruit pie/cakes we are normally used to in raw eating. The cake part of their deserts *is* dense, but tasty. It is made from nuts and coconut and dried fruits or agave or maple with added flavors and spices. The cake frosting parts are definately super creamy fluffy though, and about 1% of their dessert stuff isn't 100% raw. There are a few special elegant desserts that use organic cocoa powder and maple syrup along with the raw ingredients. They are clearly stated. The rest of the chocolate desserts are made with raw cacao.

If you ever have an opportunity to get to NYC or order their restaurant stuff to be shipped to you, do it. smiling smiley

...And if you eat grains or are willing to try them, you have got to try their really raw, but so yummy you'd swear they're cooked, oatmeal cookies. They are out of this world! made from soaked and sprouted whole oat groats, raisins and traditional oatmeal spice taste. They are as delicious as they are adorable to look at.

i breathe in
i breathe out
peace
love
joy
Bikini

Posted by: minou33 ()
Date: April 06, 2007 05:29AM

I visited their take out place. The food really is outstanding (the ice cream....my god) but all their food seems to be very high in fat. The ice cream is loaded with fat, made out of cashews & coconut meat. I enjoy it but can't go there too often!

Date: April 06, 2007 06:38AM

Yeah, the food in the recipe book is pretty high in fat...alot of coconut meat, and coco butter...but still really good recipes....I'm a complete foodie so it is fine by me, but your right, can't eat too much of that stuff!

Posted by: khale ()
Date: April 06, 2007 12:28PM

After spending sixteen years of my life cooking in restaurants and catering, I thought I had seen some of the best in creative cookery...but these raw chefs blow me away! They are like culinary genuises!

Most of their food is definitely special occasion: their chocolate pudding, which caught my glinting eye, probably has more fat and calories than the "cooked" kind, but it may end up taking the place of a birthday cake for me this year. Yum.

I checked out several raw uncooked books at the library recently and have been trying to get the elements of raw food preparation under my belt. I'm not too keen on spending a lot of time dehydrating and all that, but I definitely want to try some of the soups and, of course, some of the salad combinations and dressing recipes. I'm hoping that once I get a hang of the basics that I can begin whipping tasty things up without the aid of recipes; start being a little creative myself.

It's a lot of fun.

khale

Posted by: alive! ()
Date: April 06, 2007 06:35PM

My husband gave me their book "Raw Food Real World" for Christmas. I tried the recipe for cereal made with buckwheat and maple syrup. Even non-raw people like it. I also made the chocolate version with raw cocoa powder. Around here we call them Captain Crunch and Coco Krispies. Definately not the healthiest thing I eat and maple syrup isn't raw, but they fit the bill sometimes when I want a sweet, crunchy snack that isn't loaded with nuts or other fats. A "transition" food for sure.

Life Is Good!

alive!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables