Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Question for 80/10/10'ers about avocados
Posted by: learningtofly ()
Date: April 09, 2007 04:37PM

Here's a "challenge" question for the 80/10/10'ers on this board. Can you answer it?

If raw vegan fats are harmful, why do you think the mouthfeel of a whole fruit fat such as avocado is so appealing? It seems that truly clean taste buds would reject anything detrimental, and yet the avocado, in its natural, unadulterated, high-water state, is extremely appealing to most raw foodists to eat. Why is that? Shouldn't truly instinctive taste buds be rejecting this food if it were harmful to the body?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question for 80/10/10'ers about avocados
Posted by: anaken ()
Date: April 09, 2007 06:15PM

I agree. I think the only thing I can say is that for where we are at - at least, doing high fruit along with a large percentage of fats presents some problems for us as far as how the sugars get absorbed. so when you think about it its very much an artifical impostion to refuse the creamy fat! haha. not very natural.

I have to say that last night was the first time I ever felt satieted before finishing an entire avo. yet I eat the entire thing because it was very ripe and creamy, and suffered a bit of digestive troubles later. so win some lose some.

I follow 8/1/1 because its fun

not because its a 'science of health'

IMO people can eat 2 avos a day and be healthy, if they are doing the jucing and keeping on top of their cleansing.

not to speak for anyone else, but I think two of the fruit eaters on this board feast on avos when it feels right.

Date: April 09, 2007 07:07PM

Personaly I don't think that raw fats/avocados are bad, I think people over eat them, I also think that people avocado when they don't need it, what's mouth feel?

Posted by: learningtofly ()
Date: April 09, 2007 07:14PM

<what's mouth feel?>

Mouthfeel is the sensation of food in your mouth when you're eating. e.g. creamy textures, or juiciness, etc...

Posted by: Sparkler ()
Date: April 09, 2007 07:39PM

I don't think they're harmful...I think overeating on them on a regular basis could be detrimental to health in the long term. This is why you see many raw fooders turn naturally over time from high fat gourmet raw to a simpler, fruit based diet with fewer fats. Their bodies eventually clean out enough to give them the message that they need to slow down on the fats.

I've never heard an 80/10/10 person say they're "harmful"....

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: April 10, 2007 01:28AM

Avocados are not harmful if eaten in quantities such that the body can process the fat and still have enough energy for you to do everything you wish to do in your day. However, if you start getting symptoms while eating a lot of avocados, cut them out until the symptoms disappear. By symptoms I mean getting a cold, flu, rashes, infections, mucus, low energy, etc.

Instinctively, the body says eating fat is good and should be consumed as much as possible. However, if you were in nature, the likelihood of you running into a vast supply of fat that exists year round would be slim. Nowadays we can eat avocados every day of the year because of importing them from the southern hemisphere when they are not in season locally. When faced with a shortage of food and calories, having fat in the body can be a life saver. However in modern society, we don't face shortage of nutrition, we face over nutrition or excess nutrition. The outcome of having a body that is constantly overfed is chronic disease like diabetes, cancer, etc.

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: April 10, 2007 02:05AM

great post about the artifical avalibility of fat

Posted by: uma ()
Date: April 10, 2007 04:07AM

Interesting question. Eating a ripe creamy avocado is such a yummy treat and it definitely isn't repulsive to my taste buds! But, once I've had enough for now, they stop looking/sounding so appealing for a while. I used to eat several avocados a day when my diet was way more complex and with lots of supplements. Now with mostly fruit, i eat avos when i want but it usually is around a couple a week.

Love,
Uma

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: April 10, 2007 08:37AM

god, enough with the avocados being bad, Anybody can write a book about anything.

I am sorry if that was snappy. I just don't see it. Maybe avocados are bad. I have never ever had problems with them and I have eaten 4-5 a day when I feel like it, for months. Now , I am not turned on, anymore . I go through food moods.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2007 08:41AM by coconutcream.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: April 10, 2007 02:15PM

lol i go through food moods too ...i can go into fruit stand looking for something in particular and leave without getting it cuz i see "ooooo look at that .. oooooo* lol something else more appealing to me at the moment smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables