Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Hawaii - which island best for raw?
Posted by: jono ()
Date: April 10, 2007 01:01AM

In terms of availability and variety and cost of fresh fruits and greens, which island is best - oahu, maui, kauai, or hawaii.

Also ive read about the big island having sulfuric volcano fumes that can cause breathing problems, and maui has sugar cane burnings that produce lots of smoke/ash - anyone have experience with this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hawaii - which island best for raw?
Posted by: uma ()
Date: April 10, 2007 04:13AM

In my limited experience (been to all these islands once or twice), the Big Island of Hawaii is the least expensive, the least crowded, and the most rural (more space for farms). That's probably where I'd want to go to live as a raw foodist!

I don't know about the other questions you have.

Love,
Uma

Date: April 10, 2007 05:52AM

thanks Uma... ever been to north kauai? i might get a job there...

Posted by: sunshineTX ()
Date: April 10, 2007 06:07AM

North Kauai would be a wonderful place in my opinion. Kauai is our favorite place on earth. We'd like to eventually own a place over there. Then we can grow all of our favorite fruits in our own backyard. Yummy!

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: April 10, 2007 08:36AM

I owul dlove to move there, but what abbout super volcanos and stuff like that? I live in Miami so I have hurricanes to worry about here

Posted by: tristani ()
Date: April 10, 2007 06:06PM

hello jono. i lived in hawaii for 5 years. 3 on oahu and 2 on kauai. kauai was the best place on earth. i lived in hanalei (north shore). it was the best time of my life. if i could, i would move back there in a heart beat. i'd say go-for-it. idid go through a couple of hurricanes in hawaii but never any kind of volcanic eruption. of course the fruit and veggies there are tremendously fresh and wonderful. i hope you enjoy your stay in kauai. wish i could go with you!! haha!!

Laura Tristani

Date: April 11, 2007 10:14AM

Laura, im still in the planning stages... trying to line up a job. i might end up on oahu, but kauai sure does look beautiful.

in terms of diversity, is kauai as diverse as oahu? im a white boy, who feels uncomfortable surrounded by all white people.

sunshineTX, i was checking out land prices on kauai... not too bad compared to oahu (big island is much cheaper though)... it'd be cool to toss up a couple yurts and plant some fruit trees smiling smiley

Date: April 11, 2007 06:52PM

kauai is gorgeous. there aren't any words to describe the beauty. yes kauai is diverse. you'll see alot of hawaiian locals, hippies, haolis(white people) and quite a few celebrites have homes there. that would be a great place to grow anything almost. i've been on the big island too and it's also a great place. personally i just feel oahu has been somewhat ruined due to tourists. but there are places aroundthe island to get away from that. i hope it all works out for you. i'm jealous!!! haha!

laura

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: April 11, 2007 07:24PM

As far as I could tell, the big Island of Hawaii is were the raw food communities are. Near a little old western town starts with a P..Pauaua or something. The have land there with little cottage that are selling..for like 12,000 with half down other half financed.

Look for it on craigs list, I saw it there under Real Estate on the San Diego list.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: April 11, 2007 10:21PM

Prism Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As far as I could tell, the big Island of Hawaii
> is were the raw food communities are. Near a
> little old western town starts with a P..Pauaua or
> something. The have land there with little cottage
> that are selling..for like 12,000 with half down
> other half financed.
>
> Look for it on craigs list, I saw it there under
> Real Estate on the San Diego list.
>
> Love,
> Prism

i couldn't find the listing. if you find the link let me know please?

Posted by: Forrest ()
Date: April 12, 2007 01:58AM

I dream of living in hawaii and growing fruit trees. I hadn't really thought about which island yet though! I figure any one is a great start.

I've heard of something called island fever, does that really happen? (basically you start to feel almost claustrophobic living on an island) Or is that only on reeeaaallly little islands?

Date: April 12, 2007 05:25PM

for my self forrest, i didn't really get island fever. i would hop from island to island sometimes and that would be enough for me. i'm really bummed i moved from there. there are quite a few people who do get island fever. they can't handle it for too long. maybe they just aren't true island people. if i could, iw ould live there forever.

thanks, Laura T

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables