Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Prehistoric Physiology Unsuited for Fast Food World
Posted by: miaculpa ()
Date: April 12, 2007 03:58AM

I thought this article was extremely interesting and wonder what others may think/believe that this hypothesis affects our eating choices...and how it applies to our raw lifestyle...

Back when an airy two-bedroom apartment was a particularly spacious cave, people worked hard for their food. Fat, salt and sugar were rarities, ostensibly gorged upon at every infrequent opportunity, and our palates evolved to let us know just how delectable these substances were.

Unfortunately, fat and salt and sugar can be found pretty much anywhere now, and procuring them costs little more than spare change underneath the couch cushions.

If you are a hunter-gatherer, [Fessler] says, "you have to go out and catch that mammal and that's a lot of work. That means we are designed for a world in which you have to expend calories in order to get calories."

Sometimes it must have been really difficult.

"If you have to work hard to get calories and there are times when calories are extremely scarce, then individuals who have a set of preferences that lead them to maximize the correct food intake when food is available will have done better," he said. "They had fat reserves when times were lean that the other folks didn't have. So we are descended from the people who liked the taste of fat. The ones who didn't like the taste of fat didn't make it."

Thus we are evolutionarily predisposed to pig out.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Prehistoric Physiology Unsuited for Fast Food World
Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: April 12, 2007 06:09AM

I begin to believe that this may be true. I certainly observe our pet rats changing into little pigs if given a chance. They love the avo. Give them salted stuff and they will go for it. They love the morning banana smoothie too. (Maybe they are turning into fruitarians? lol!)

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Re: Prehistoric Physiology Unsuited for Fast Food World
Posted by: miaculpa ()
Date: April 12, 2007 03:25PM

I tend to crave salty foods and fats as well...especially when stressed. I had a horrible day yesterday and loaded up/binged on tahina and oils/avos, etc. I also wonder if eating for stress is tied into the above article...ie, when certain humans who are predisposed to stress eating come under the right conditions, they gravitate towards binging/hording calories type things.

Is this programmed into us from the days of feast or famine?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables