Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

add DULSE to my list of cravings...
Posted by: miaculpa ()
Date: April 13, 2007 01:16AM

TODAY I snarfed down an entire baggie of dulse. I've been craving this, along with tahina, for the last couple days. Interestingly, I found out that this is also high in protein and copper (like tahina is). As I've mentioned before, I tend towards anemia, esp. during my menstrual cycle and pms usually has me craving loads of iron rich/protein rich foods. Being new to raw, these new cravings are quite intriguing to me.

Anyone else out there also like to eat baggies of dulse?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: add DULSE to my list of cravings...
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: April 13, 2007 01:17AM

spinach is quite high in iron too i think...have you tried this? smiling smiley

Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: April 13, 2007 01:28AM

Maybe you need iodine. That's a lot of dulse though.

Date: April 13, 2007 01:37AM

I know it is a lot of dulse. I love seaweeds (part asian) and used to eat dulse when I was in University in Canada years ago. The people from the Maritime provinces used to snack on it like chips, the same stuff we buy, cept they were pkgd in these charming paper bags.

I don't like spinach as much as dulse. The dry, chewy texture is just good to snack on. Requires lots of water, though. I remember eating laverbread in the UK and loving it too...

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: April 13, 2007 01:50AM

miaculpa,

One thing to try to see if it was the dulse you were craving or just the salt is to rinse your dulse a few times. What I do is soak the dulse a few minutes, rinse out the soak water, then do this another time or two. This gets out a lot of the salt from the dulse.

If you do this and you find the dulse less appealing or satisfying, then you were probably attracted to the salt.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: April 13, 2007 01:54AM

i have a hard time with nori , seaweed and dulse .. maybe its the salt .. weird though cuz im a a real salt-tooth ...not a sweet-tooth at all

it just gets to my throat an back up it comes .. my body just rejects it lol smiling smiley

Date: April 13, 2007 02:21AM

OH I have soaked and rinsed before, Bryan. I can eat it any old way. I just like the texture and the way it melts. The salt is actually TOO much, I relish the sea taste the most.

Posted by: taylor ()
Date: April 13, 2007 05:18AM

i am the same way-the nori sheets just don't settle well with me. it makes me mad too cause i liked the california rolls and i don't know why...they just don't settle in my system.taylor

[img10.mytextgraphics.com]

Posted by: fuzzysox ()
Date: April 13, 2007 02:12PM

i hav never had dulse, i wunna try that and nori sounds yummy mia yer making me hungry!! lol, im gunna go eat some more of my unripe pinapple for the forth time u think idve learned by now
apparently no

Date: April 13, 2007 03:53PM

nori or laver I can only eat as sushi rolls or laverbread (but laverbread requires cooking and Ive not figured out a raw version...not that I'd want to...lol)

If you like seafood or strong sea tastes, you will like dulse. It is a highly personal preference. My hubby detests it. I can eat it like jerky and always could.

Date: April 13, 2007 04:10PM

lol i bought laver bc i thought it was nori, it said nori on the package, i ate sum of it and i had 2 spit it out, its disguisting!! i found lil sea bits in my mouth shells and eho knos wat else... :p
i didnt kno laver was cooked..
i luv nori tho, but ive never tried dulse, i gotta get me sum!! lol

Posted by: annex ()
Date: April 13, 2007 05:48PM

Funny, I ate a big bag of nori the other day and was like "this is the best stuff ever". If it wasn't so expensive I'd eat it all the time.

I thought nori and laver were the same thing.

Date: April 13, 2007 05:53PM

i hav no idea, im confused about it,, all i kno is that my nori says Laver really big and nori really small and its in a purpkeish bag instead of a red one, which im guessing is the normal nori,, watever this stuff is it tastes like dehydrated fish :[p

Date: April 13, 2007 11:02PM

fuzzy

nori is laver that is processed into thin sheets...you bought the unwashed, unedited version...which is used in the UK for laverbread (google it)

Date: April 13, 2007 11:25PM

kk im loking...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables