Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Difficulty sleeping/energised/ restless
Posted by: Lorretta ()
Date: April 15, 2007 10:20PM

I find that when i switch from high raw to eating totally raw vegan i become very energised, find it difficult to sleep and as a result feel very restless.

Inspired by the recent high fruit low fat research trial, i started to experiment with eating this way on 27th march.
At first i felt very calm, grounded and at peace.

Five days ago, the restlessness and sleeping difficulties started again.

This has happened to me whilst experimenting with eating various raw vegan diets(gourmet, wheatgrass/ sprout/ baby greens approach and juice fasting)
I am eating totally raw vegan. I have eliminated spices, onions garlic etc.
I am eating mainly mono whole fruits with the occasional simple smoothie.

I have increased my exercise and a little meditation.
I have a busy life and am exhausted at the end of the day, but after an hour or two of sleeping, thats it, im awake!
Im so tired the next day!
Maybe its an adjustment period.
maybe i just need to accept it.

Im coping fine with the diet (apart from the emotional stuff thats begun to surface) but im sure i would be able to deal with that a lot better if i could at least get some decent rest!!!

Im just so tired, yet i just dont seem to be able to swith off and get proper rest.
Participating in the research trial has been a very positive experience for me.
this way of eating feels good.

In the past, i have resorted to eating baked potato in the evening. That often helps me sleep.

I just figured that if im experiencing this then surely others on the path have encountered similar.

I am looking for a way to work through this issue and stay raw this time.

I would love to hear from you if you have had a similar experience or could offer some support
thanks for reading
Lorretta

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Difficulty sleeping/energised/ restless
Posted by: jono ()
Date: April 15, 2007 10:31PM

A high sweet fruit diet also made me anxious and uncomfortable... so its not for everybody. Just because it may work for some doesn't mean it'll work for you.

Some sleeping tips:

- Exercising during the day always helps me sleep well at night.

- Running your mind while in bed can be a problem.

- Visualization often helps me fall asleep quickly... sometimes I envision all of my thoughts flowing out of my brain and into the universe, until my mind is completely clear.

- Make sure you sleep in a very dark room, even a street lamp by the window could present a problem.

- Avoid bright lights in the evening before going to bed, let your body adjust to the nighttime biorhythm.

- Also avoid turning on a bright light when going to the bathroom in the middle of the night... this will disturb your sleep cycle. Try installing a dimmer switch or just use a night light (or maybe just moonlight - HAHA, MOONlight).

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: April 15, 2007 10:32PM

I hear you Loretta. You CAN certainly cut back to a level of raw that is more comfortable for you...and allows you to sleep. There are no raw food police and no one is judging you for that! smiling smiley You're other choice would be to utilize that extra energy to exercise or provide for some other activity that allows you to sleep. You could also try chewing some valerian root (which I have not tried) and/or having a hot bath before bed-time. It's probably just a transitional phase.

-Just some suggestions.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: April 16, 2007 01:44PM

When I first went raw my old insomnia came back. I had insomnia for about 25 years and hadn't had it in about 10 years. I feel like I was too energized with the raw diet. I didn't cahange anything and made the decision to just see what would happen. After about two weeks in went away and hasn't returned.

Posted by: khale ()
Date: April 17, 2007 02:13AM

Loretta wrote:

"In the past, i have resorted to eating baked potato in the evening. That often helps me sleep."

My first thought was that you may be going to bed hungry and that's why you can't sleep. I know that I can't fall asleep easily and sleep fitfully if my belly is empty. Have you tried having a banana or two before bed? If you have the banana/s about 30 min. or so before turning in, you should be okay with digestion. I mean, I know its not optimal to eat so soon before retiring, but its certainly not optimal not getting enough good quality sleep either.

sleep tight,

khale

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: April 17, 2007 06:07AM

I think your body may be cleansing out stuff, and this is why you are so stimulated at night. Also, are you under pressure or experience stress in your life? This can also keep me awake.

What about taking naps when you are tired (at least for now, while your body is adjusting)? When you are awake at night, it your mind quiet, or is it thinking a lot?

Date: April 20, 2007 08:59PM

Thank you for your responses.
you are all very supportive.

Hi Jono
love the visualisation!
Will try that one, thanks!

Bryan
The main pressure I feel is that after only a couple of hours sleep i am wide awake and concerned that i will have to face another day without proper rest.
I was lying in bed trying to get off to sleep again but now i get up and read or do chores until i feel tired again.

Since my initial post I have resorted to eating a few steamed veggies with my evening meal every other day. This does help.

I have also added some green juices back into my diet.
Although im still incredibly energised and still not sleeping well i do feel calmer.

I do feel that im going through a very deep cleanse.
some of the emotional stuff that is surfacing (anger and irritability) has been a little difficult to deal with.
I also have a patch of eczema on my left foot. This happened last time that i did a 10 day juice fast, even though i had never had eczema before in my life.

Im sure this will balance itself out eventually.
I will find my level!

Thanks again for all your support
Lorretta

Posted by: uti ()
Date: April 22, 2007 05:39AM

Loretta,

After I had been 100% raw for a period of time I did a 21 day water fast. After the fast I went through a period of high energy and was only sleeping an average of 3 hours straight a night. The biggest problem I had was my belief system that I needed a certain number of hours of deep sleep to function properly. In the end the stress of my judgements was outweighed my experience, which was that I was actually doing fine on the short sleep. After a few weeks I noticed that I was gradually sleeping longer and waking up feeling rested.

I agree with Bryan's advice. Your body is probably releasing old stuff. Be gentle with yourself. Try to see that this is a process and you don't want to miss feeling any of the steps fully.

Date: April 23, 2007 11:38AM

Uti,

Thank you.
I understand that i have been unable to let go and allow myself to just be with the process.

I cope ok at the weekends when i dont have to go to work as i let go of the fear of not being able to cope without 'proper' rest.

I can relate to the idea that the stress of your judgements outweighed your experience. I believe that im experiencing this.

Although Its been a huge learning experience for me. I feel i have only just dipped my toe in the water!

I really wanted to succeed and embraced the changes i was making, then i became fearful of combining work and a busy family life with the effects i was experiencing.
Ive had to look at my situation and make some tough decisions regarding diet and lifestyle.
I have experimented with my diet and sleeping habits.
Im surviving on very little sleep and im feeling ok with that now.
Its helped to identify the fear aspect.
I am determined to stick with the experience and make every effort to engage fully in the process.
Thanks for sharing your story Uti

Lorretta

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: April 24, 2007 04:39AM

sometimes if I eat a little cooked food I cannot sleep at night. It rarely happens sad smiley hahah rarely, but it has and when it does i can't sleep, so who is to say what is keeping you awake but rather a change.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 24, 2007 09:55AM

coconutcream Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> sometimes if I eat a little cooked food I cannot
> sleep at night. It rarely happens sad smiley hahah rarely,
> but it has and when it does i can't sleep, so who
> is to say what is keeping you awake but rather a
> change.

But you have been raw 5+ [www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: April 25, 2007 07:32AM

Yes, I know, my body is changed. I eat mostly fruit. If I go out to eat I will order a salad and the dressing is never raw and sometimes I eat it and it gets me sick and dehydarted so I am up all night. I mena, I am up all night anyways, I sleep from 5 am til 11 am

Posted by: Dulset ()
Date: April 25, 2007 02:36PM

I have been getting up at 3:00 am with pain in my shoulder and arm/upper back for about a month now. I've been upping the greens to help with pain and healing of my shoulder. (6 months transitioning).

I feel great underneath the pain though, kind of like a beautiful piece of music is playing inside me but it's being spoiled by someone practising a bad violin (the pain).

Am not worried anymore about not getting 8 hours because I'm getting along OK on 4 - 5 hours.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables