Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

fermentation,miso, veggies, vinegar,tempeh, amazake,
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 17, 2007 02:24AM

Hi folks
In reply to 2 recent threads.

Miso is not raw for 2 reasons, the inoculating rice is steamed, incoculated, dried, and then added to cooked grains and or beans. I am now ivestigating making pure raw miso with sprouted grains and beans. I contacted Sandor author of Wild Fermentation and he did not know of any raw miso or tempeh. All miso take at least 1 year to make.

Tempeh is also made from cooked grains and or beans but is inoculated with a different starter and takes just 24 hours to make. I am investigating making pure raw tempeh with sprouted grains and beans.

Apple juice left in the open will turn to hard cider (alcoholic) in about 1 week. In about another week the hard cider turns to apple cider vinegar. Nothing is pickeled in vinegar as it stops the pickling process. Things are pickeled in brine rinsed and stored in vinegar. Vinegar stored pickels last forever, brine stored dont.

Amazake uses the same starter as miso and turns grains super sweet and a day to a week. I am investigating making raw amazake.

natural suar kraut,kimhchi,and pickles for me tastes great and are good digestive aids

elnatural

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fermentation,miso, veggies, vinegar,tempeh, amazake,
Date: April 17, 2007 11:53PM

dude, you are just so freaking cool.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: April 18, 2007 01:50AM

o man cool..yes, miso is living though because of all the germies, no? Not that I care..kim chee has germies too little moving things that eat up stuff. I have, ong time ago, eaten pickles in apple cider vinegar, glaser farms makes them

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2007 01:51AM by coconutcream.

Date: April 18, 2007 02:24AM

cococream

Miso and these other fermented foods traditionaly start as cooked foods but by the action of the inoculating substance get brokend down into much simpler forms that are extreemly digestable. Proteins and amino acids get broken down into individual parts. The anti carcinogenic factors go way up. If they are not heated there after fermentation then yes they have live and very benificial bacteria that continue thier usefullness inside of us.

elnatural

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: April 18, 2007 09:43AM

Is it possible to make like a sauerkraut with fruit, say apples or bananas?

Date: April 18, 2007 01:29PM

yes, in wild fermention there are recipes for fruit kraut and or pickels

Posted by: tiffany ()
Date: May 17, 2007 05:17PM

you are all making me SO hungry... i have been dying for some pickled stuff or fermented stuff... CRAVING IT.... what safe to eat ( as in still raw or not cooked by heat)... ohhhh i bought some tempeh and was saddened by reading thiss post by seeing it is not raw... i assumed it was...

argh...

live and learn.... i will still eat the tempeh wiht my raw hummus tnight..

Love and Light

Tiffntwins

`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

SWIM FREE FISHES!

Date: May 18, 2007 01:36AM

Hi Alan,

We miss you here in Portland! When are you coming back to visit?

Mike

P.S. I Love Kim Chi ~ Woo Hoo!

Date: May 19, 2007 01:35AM

There's the anual recumbent national bike races at pir next weekend, if my new bike is done maybe then.

Hey I miss you guys too, you don't realize how good you have it there. When's Ariel's next potluck or yours? Say hi to Jennifer and her other half.

elnatural

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables