Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Breaking a fast, binging and Juliano
Posted by: rawrnr ()
Date: April 17, 2007 11:55AM

I am on day 22 of my juice FEAST!!

My daughter brought home 1/2 her soy nut butter and jam sandwich yesterday - I had a bite!! BUT I spit it out immediately!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My addiction to grains is unbearable!!

I ahve fasted 2-3 t imes inthe past and always broke it with a BINGE an ongoing BINGE where I woudl come home and eat whole loaves of bread with peanut butter and banana...

Fasting is easy - total abstinance - it does NOT teach you how to eat properly!
I am SO SCARED this will happen again

I spoke to 2 different ppl who said a fast of 40 days and NO less is what helped them go totaly raw - I don;t care to go 100% - I love steamed broccoli...

BUT I want to give up grains..

I decided to go back to my dehydrator and make some "breads" from buckwheat and flax crackers just to have on hand - in case of a downfall....

I have numerous cook books but am thinking of buy Juliano's...anyone have this book?
I'd love to hear a review or 2?

I'd love some advice about the above issue - I KNOW I am an emotional eater, filling a void, numbing my feelings.....I KNOW!

How do I deal?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Breaking a fast, binging and Juliano
Posted by: khale ()
Date: April 17, 2007 02:08PM

rawrnr wrote:

"I have numerous cook books but am thinking of buy Juliano's...anyone have this book?
I'd love to hear a review or 2?"

I checked out Juliano's "Raw" from the library recently. He's one creative little dude, no question about that. There are several dehydrated bread recipes, although I don't know if you'd consider this a plus or a minus given your ambivalence regarding eating grains. But the breads do look good; very crisp on the outside with a good, moist inner.

He uses a lot of salt (in fact, I find that most gourmet raw chefs do...the "Pure Wine and Food" couple even use salt in their sweets) and puts jalapeno's in virtually everything.

Personally, I find his recipes more suitable for special occasions rather than everyday use. Even he eats much more simply on a daily basis.

All in all it's an impressive guide to preparing very creative raw cuisine; the recipes are easy to read and follow and the presentation is nice. For myself, I'd rather invest in raw food preparation books that are a little less "gourmet", but that's just me.

khale

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 17, 2007 02:49PM

I was just in Santa Monica and ate at his restaurant... it changed my life. It was the best food I have ever had. I just ordered his book but haven't read it yet. If his restaurant is any indication as to what that book will be like... I would pick it up rapidly. It seems when I am craving something... there is a reason. I don't think I could do a 40 day detox though... I have done ten days before and that is my limit. I say "whatever works". Good luck.

Posted by: ljbn ()
Date: April 17, 2007 11:59PM

Wow, what a dilema you seem to have gotten into.

My experience has taught me that creating a substitite usually just leads back to a problem. Create something NEW to fill the space. (In fact, I think they use this philosophy in 12 step groups)

Emotional eating - well I understand that one --- I used to weigh 270#s a bit over a year ago and now I'm weighing in at 145#s, just so you understand I do get this issue. I find that going slow. Only doing one thing at a time, that means not reading while eating, not listening to the tv or radio, and when I'm eating with friends perhaps at a restaraunt only chewing when I'm chewing, then putting the fork down while I'm listening. This makes for a very different experience.

It is wonderful that you are aware of your personal goal to aim for a healthier version of yourself with the knowledge that you are not ready to go 100%. That's fantastic work - stick with that and don't let others 'talk' you into changing that idea. If a day comes when you feel differently, you will make all the appropriate changes that it will take to get where ever you REALLY want to be.

My advice, whether or not you are aiming for a natural weight change - make friends with your fruits and veggies. Begin adding fruits early in the day and aim to have fruits for 2/3's of your day (eventually) save your steamed meal for the end of the day (perhaps around or just before sunset, which is a lovely time for dinner). This last meal of the day - start it with a bowl of one kind of fruit or a simple smoothie or even a freshly reamed or pressed glass of citrus juice and then proceed on to that lovely plate/bowl of steamed vegetables.

The fruit that you have consumed throughout the day, will solve your craving and emotional eating issues. Another BIG help is to find some f2f or telephone support from someone who has gone where you would like to be. In many communities there are raw food support groups popping up and many of us are finding them invaluable. We are able to share and discuss and just be there for our other raw foodie friends, we become 'family'.

Give yourself a big hug, and be kind to yourself along the way - I know me and my raw foodie friends have all been down similar paths, we are successfully becoming healthier and that's reaching our goals. Don't forget to give yourself the extra candle light baths or extra walks or more library days or whatever will encourage you to fill the extra time that you will find along the way. Take a class, learn to paint or make pottery or dig out the crochet needles! Being healthier gives us more time as well as more energy - and more love to share.

As always, take what you need and leave the rest. Keep it simple, and Use what you already have.

Simply,
Lesa

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: April 18, 2007 12:56AM

Julianos book is awesome it was my first!

When I went away to raw food camp me and my girlfriend would hang pics of juliano next to our beds! smiling smiley What dorks!

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: April 18, 2007 03:03AM

Ha ha Suvine, that's cute more than dorky.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: April 18, 2007 03:36AM

this is an intersting trio.

only thing I can say is what would keep me from breaking a fast with something like bread, would be knowing the consquences. breaking a fast incorrectly could defeat the purpose entirely. on a positive note, maybe a fast isn't what you need to get over those issues..just because someone had sucess with cravings in that way doesn't mean you will. Hell if I fasted in a pizza shop I might be in trouble, maybe your environment isn't as easy to fast in if there is temptations around. Maybe if you just ate the raw foods (or steamed foods whatever) you loved you would slowly give up the grains.

with juice fasting

here is what I've heard is a good rule of thumb. you want to divide the days you fast by 4 and spend those days breaking a fast

24 days
6 days to break the fast

1st day you want something to make your bowels kick
1/2 lb prunes soaked overnight for the first group then go back to your juices to get calories

the next day you do either prunes or something laxative like cherries or figs then go back to your juices

day 3,4
two meals of juicy fruits

day 5, 6 juicy fruits and third meal of salad, no fats.

maybe you were just stepping out of your comfort zone with such a long fast?

how about a 4 day fast?
5 would be laxative fruit, juicy fruit, salad

might be easier to manage cravings. doing shorter fasts with eating the foods you love in between

Posted by: taylor ()
Date: April 18, 2007 12:01PM

i love his book "raw".i have the parsnip patties in my freezer.so good. i love all the raw breads-very delicious.good luck-taylor

[img10.mytextgraphics.com]

Posted by: rawrnr ()
Date: April 18, 2007 12:02PM

I am on day 23 now and going strong!
I have no real hunger so I will not stop - when real hunger rears it's head I will stop. right now I feel good - I taught a bodypunp class this early am and am now at work.

I have fasted 3-4 times inteh past - I know the consequences to breaking it binging - BUT i broke it that way every time!!!!!!!!!!!

I much appreciate your advise on breaking it and will do my VERY BEST to follow it. THANX!!

What do you all think about me dehydrating some raw pizza bread and others?
SHould I do it to cover my ass?
I remember when I first got hte dehydrator - totally turned off after spending SO M ANY HOURS prepping, choppiung, rincing, soaking, mixing WASHING!!!

I need to make it MORE simple, BUT what to do with this EMOTIONAL eating!

Like I said - fasting is EASY !!

I have been transitioning for 2 YEARS!!
I've done the goumet thing - too time consuming, too fatting
I've doen Graham - like 12-15 bananas in ONE sitting and 3-4 other meals the same day, just to eat a P&B sandwich wiht another banana and jam!!

What I crave is SUGAR!! I just know it!!!!!!!!!!!
I have had 2 sugar binges during thsi juice FEAST

I am drinkiong 16-20 cups of undiluted juice
I crave HONEY - And I was a VEGAN before this!!
I have bought a block of honey in its comb 2 different times, sat down and ate the WHOLE block!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sugar craving!!
I am VERY active - I am training for a marathon and teach aerobics 4 times a week.

I am supplementing with
chorella
msm
spiruline
maca
e3live
molassas
HONEY
cayenne

using oxypowder to eliminate and will start blessed herbs in a few days - I am NOT hungry but CRAVE sugar!!

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: April 18, 2007 10:59PM

Rawrr,
I know this may not help that much, but. . . I think you're doing GREAT!! It took me 10 years to really get control over my cravings during my transition. (Of course I was a walking candida yeast factory, but still...) I just thought you needed to hear that. Keep up the good work!

I have done several fasts, and each one was different. Sometimes at the end of a fast I transition slowly and carefully back to my raw diet with juices and juicy fruits, but there have been a few times when I screwed up and ate solid food too soon and had problems with craving stuff I thought I'd long since given up. But I always get over it quickly with little harm done.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables