Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

MS & Raw Foods
Posted by: bodybyblis ()
Date: April 17, 2007 08:30PM

Another lovely testimonial. Ahhhhhhhhhh, now if they would only leave almonds and supplements alone. Am seriously thinking of moving to another country, if this crap doesn't CEASE AND DESIST.

He refuses to bow to debilitating MS
By: ED MOORHOUSE (Sun, Apr/15/2007)

TABERNACLE — In 1997, Matt Goodman was employed as a personal trainer and was an avid hiker, skier and outdoorsman.

That same year, he was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, a disease that could have threatened his very active lifestyle.

Yet, nearly six years after he was diagnosed, Goodman hiked 1,600 miles along the Appalachian Trail through Maine, New Hampshire, New York and Pennsylvania. His dog, Jerry, a pit bull-beagle mix, was his only companion.

Goodman, a Gloucester County native who now lives in Tabernacle, said his hiking trip is proof that a natural lifestyle is the best way to combat a debilitating disorder.

“I was a personal trainer. I was always the star athlete. I could run real fast, but I couldn't do that anymore,” Goodman said during an interview at his home last week. “If I walked too fast or too far, it would feel like there was a clamp on my legs.”

Goodman, 35, was 25 years old when he was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, a chronic, unpredictable neurological disease that affects the central nervous system.

He said he eventually decided to stop taking medication to treat the disease, so he turned to yoga, meditation and a strict diet of raw foods like vegetables, fruits, nuts and seeds.

“I had a real bad flare-up (in 1999) and I stopped eating cooked foods,” he said. “I felt that starting to eat raw food was the beginning of the self-healing (process). It took about six months before I started to feel a lot stronger.”

In June 2003, Goodman began hiking a portion of the Appalachian Trail in Maine. He said he covered more than 25 miles per day and carried 40 pounds of supplies on his back. His multiple sclerosis never bothered him.

“I see MS as my guide,” Goodman said. “It has forced me to find balance in my life. It's about having harmony and being thankful.”

After four months of hiking through 11 states, Goodman ended his trip in Virginia. He has since chronicled his experience in a self-published book titled, “Holy Sh!t: How I Did It,” and speaks to others about his healthy lifestyle at events across the country.

“The MS will always be there,” Goodman said. “My legs have been bothering me for months now, but I feel better than I did (when first diagnosed). It won't be debilitating if I don't empower it.”

Goodman sticks to his raw foods diet and exercise program with the help of his wife Sandy, a raw foods chef.

He said he hopes his story inspires others and shows them that anything is possible.

“I don't tell people you can cure yourself, but you have to believe in it and work hard,” he said. “I trust nature, spirit and God. You have to put your faith in that and trust your instincts.”

FOR MORE INFORMATION

For more information about Goodman's book, visit [www.rawpower.info].

E-Mail: ED MOORHOUSE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Article's URL:

[www.phillyburbs.com]

Blissed be, Annie
bodybybliss.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MS & Raw Foods
Posted by: gracielle ()
Date: April 19, 2007 09:57AM

My mom has MS, so of course this post caught my interest. She did a lot of herbal supplements as well as eliminating wheat, gluten and sugars and it really helped her, she said she noticed an improvement. I wish she would do raw or something more drastic, but she doesn't listen to me, you know how stubborn old people can be? Haha, you know? Before my mom tried naturopathy, the doctor put her on a weekly injection regimen which made her feel even more sick than the actual MS did. This injection wasn't even going to cure it, but it supposedly mildly slows down the progression of the disease in only 20% out of all the people who take it. So there's only a 20% chance that it's going to help at ALL, and there's no way to know if it will, but for a lot of people they're willing to take that chance even with all the side effects. It's a really sad situation... but stories like this give me hope. Thanks for posting it!

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables