Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

question: Oranges and mouth hurting
Posted by: alanabanana ()
Date: April 17, 2007 10:41PM

So I had two small blood oranges yesterday - they were ripe, smelled & tasted delicious but made the sides of my mouth,and the edges of my lips burn.

I tried again today with a tangelo and the exact same thing happened! Only this time I ate another blood orange even though the tangelo hurt and my mouth (I was pretty hungry...) but I couldn't take it anymore. Afterwards my tongue feels kind of dry.
These are all organic by the way.

Does anyone know why this may be happening? It has never happened to me before, for now I'm just thinking my body doesn't want them so I won't eat citrus for a while.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: question: Oranges and mouth hurting
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: April 17, 2007 11:04PM

-Some folks are more sensitive to different kinds of citrus. Cut back a bit on any fruits that you don't react very well to....and try them again later. Try another kind of citrus.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Felix ()
Date: April 18, 2007 02:46PM

Try rinsing your mouth and washing your lips repeatedly after eating citrus (5-6 times and see if that helps.

Proverbs 15:17 (New International Version) "Better a meal of vegetables where there is love than a fattened calf with hatred."

Posted by: abc123tyler ()
Date: April 18, 2007 03:07PM

davidzanemason Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> -Some folks are more sensitive to different kinds
> of citrus. Cut back a bit on any fruits that you
> don't react very well to....and try them again
> later. Try another kind of citrus.
>
> -David Z. Mason

Anything that simply doesn't agree with you, cut back on it for a while and try it at a later time... I have found this happens with almost anything. Food rotation is very important and switching out what foods you eat on a daily basis is something most people overlook. Food allergies/sensitivities can develop and that is no fun!

Posted by: alanabanana ()
Date: April 18, 2007 04:29PM

Thanks everyone, it's interesting that you say rotating food is important because I haven't had oranges whole in months, the juice is fine. Still I am just going to use the advice of David Z. Mason and my body to stay away from them for a while! I listen to my body but I was just seeing if it was something in the oranges or just me! And it is just me so that's awesome!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 18, 2007 09:09PM

this happens to me with pineapple and strawberries in addition to citrusy fruit. i seem to react badly to the acid. but, i love the stuff. so, i do what felix says and rinse rinse rinse afterwards. and then sometimes i just have to walk away from it for a few days altogether.

good luck!

alex

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 19, 2007 03:35AM

Try covering you lips in a flavorless chapstick. The coating will act as a barrior between you and the acid.

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: April 19, 2007 03:43AM

earthangel how can you both be seeking and yet prescribing advise simultaneously? why would chapstick be a barrier to acid? Chapstick isn't a healthful thing to put on your body and the solution isn't to alleviate the problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2007 03:43AM by anaken.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables