Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

When will I start to feel good?
Posted by: happyvegan ()
Date: April 18, 2007 11:46PM

Firstly, I'm not 100% raw yet. I've been led to try to maintain at least 80-85% raw for the time being, so that's where I've been for the past 4 days. It's kind of a struggle which surprises me. I never struggled with veganism, no trasition time or anything, it was like a lightswitch and I never craved anything non-vegan again. And since I've been an organic, whole-foods vegan for almost 7 years, I didn't think I'd be detoxing so hard.

I feel like crap. I'm cranky and hateful and my fibromyalgia symptoms are coming back (everything is sore, I'm fatigued, etc), and to top it off, I can't @#$%&. I feel, for the lack of a better word, suck-tastic.

Tell me this goes away. Tell me that the detox phase will last x amount of days and that I'll feel magically better soon. I seriously won't be able to keep this up if I don't start feeling good, because that's the whole reason I'm doing this in the first place.

My daily menu consists of a couple of heads of romaine lettuce, a couple each of tomatoes, cucumbers, stalks of broccoli, bananas, apples, oranges, and grapefruit, carrots, and a few radishes. Today I added a cantalope. I also eat about a cup of cooked beans and some steamed greens with fresh ginger in the evening. From what I've figured I'm getting about 1000 calories a day. I'm also exclusively breastfeeding a 6-month-old, so maybe I should be eating more?

Any advice that can help me make this work for me?

Thanks!
happyvegan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: When will I start to feel good?
Date: April 19, 2007 12:42AM

Not to mention, my face is breaking out. I use the OCM for my face and it's kept my skin looking lovely for 2 years now, and now my face looks worse than when I was a teenager. It's dry and flakey with red patches and *pimples*.

Is this a symptom of detoxing from cooked foods as well?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 19, 2007 01:09AM

Oh my gosh, yes, you should be eating more. Nursing burns 500 kcals per day and I would assume that you need at least 1200 for your human body to function on top of that, so you should aim for at least 2000 kcals. If you are exercising at all, I would add more kcals accordingly. Good luck and remember that your healthy and full diet will not only benefit you but your baby as well.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: April 19, 2007 01:12AM

I hear you!

Opinion:

-Change your diet very slowly...until you are just eating for ONE! Ha! ha! Until then....make very small goals and keep them and be joyful.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: rawfrancois ()
Date: April 19, 2007 01:13AM

Definitely get some more fats into your diet. I strongly reccomend some avocado and coconut (great for your baby and your skin). Also try some berries and tropical fruits like papayas or mangos, I think they'll help speed up your detox.

Date: April 19, 2007 03:31AM

Thanks for all the tips. I didn't realize I'd need to each so much on a mostly raw diet, but it makes sense with breastfeeding. I've been pregnant, breastfeeding or both for the past 7+ years so you'd think I'd know better.

I'll try to add some fats and berries. Tonight I ate a small handful of raw almonds and it was very satisfying. And I have avocadoes for the kids, I just didn't think of eating them myself. I guess I'm used to trying not to eat extra fat that I was still trying to avoid it. That "no added fat" (mcdougall-style) mindset is a hard one to break!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 19, 2007 01:04PM

Happyvegan,
I have read McDougall and respect what he has to say - however this is not the time for you to diet to try and lose weight. If it helps at all, I am currently nursing my 9 month old son and eating between 2500-3000 kcals a day. My weight is stable at 108 (I am 5'5"winking smiley. I eat a lot of greens, smoothies, apples, oranges, grapefruit, pineapple, flax seed, some walnuts and avocado. To slow down the detox while nursing I add some steamed veggies and whole grains. I would love to connect with you to support each other through raw.
Innerbeauty

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: April 20, 2007 04:45AM

detox is a bitch, your antibodies for cooked food will go crazy, just like a heroin addict, make you ill and uncomfortable, antibodies are toxic themselves. do not feed them and the bad feelings go away.

Posted by: Niftethrifte ()
Date: April 20, 2007 02:08PM

I concur.

^My Daughter, Sage and I^

Wishing you a whole lotta love,
Niftethrifte

Posted by: abc123tyler ()
Date: April 20, 2007 03:31PM

Transition can be very tough, even from a VERY strict vegan diet ( I have done this same thing). Obviously I am a guy so I cannot relate to certain things, but my gosh do not deprive yourself of fat if you feel you want it. As long as it is raw plant fat and you do not overeat one food consistently (say eat pounds of nuts of the same type all the time which can lead to food allergies and other things) you should be okay. Remember to listen to your body and not your tastebuds and you should okay, do not worry about eating too many/much raw foods... it is almost impossible (save for the raw treats/delicacies). I actually went through a period of eating 8 avocados a day... and gained no weight during the period except maybe a couple pounds fluxuation.

I wish you the best.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables