Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

a question about tea
Posted by: shaine ()
Date: April 19, 2007 04:56PM

hi. I'm new--I've been reading through here for weeks, but finally joined. no more lurking!

the question--I still drink tea. hot. I KNOW IT'S NOT RAW--that's not what my question concerns. Oh, and only caffeine free herbal teas.
But, since tea without sweeteners is not quite a food, how does this factor into a raw lifestyle? If I drink it, with food in my stomach, will it kill the enzymes in the food? Does drinking it on an empty stomach still burden the digestion the way cooked food does?

I know I can make sun tea, but the heat makes it taste better to me.

I'm not 100%--more like 90+% &veg'n. So this isn't about whether or not to cut it out. Just looking for some justification/opinions on this.

thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: a question about tea
Posted by: Dulset ()
Date: April 19, 2007 05:13PM

I still haven't given up my tea in the morning yet (6 months transitioning so far) but I will eventually. I think it's way less detrimental to me than eating salt/spices or too much fat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2007 05:15PM by Dulset.

Posted by: shaine ()
Date: April 19, 2007 06:50PM

one marble in the justificaton jar...

measure twice, cut once.

"In Watermelon Sugar the deeds were done and done again as my life is done in watermelon sugar." ~r.brautigan

I make paintings

Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: April 19, 2007 06:57PM

beautiful pics of you Shaine! ...

drinking tea would not distroy the living food you eat.

I love my peppermint tea & make sun tea with peppermint & rosehips in a big glass jar in the summer.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: April 19, 2007 10:22PM

I don't ever intend on giving up decaf, herbal tea either.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: April 19, 2007 10:32PM

i looooooves my tea smiling smiley

i do make suntea in the summer though smiling smiley

Posted by: khale ()
Date: April 19, 2007 11:21PM

...a hot cup of tea or soup has been used in the Orient for centuries BEFORE a meal as an aid to digestion. But your question as to whether or not a cup of tea taken before a raw meal would effectively 'cook' the enzymes in your food is a good one. I would think not, as the tea passes through rather quickly.

AFTER a meal it may be better to wait a half hour to an hour, but this is pretty much true of drinking any liquid after a meal so as not to dilute the digestive juices.

I'm not a big tea drinker, but I do use herbal-medicinal teas occasionally to induce sweating while in a hot bath. I can't think of a good reason to stop.

khale

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: April 19, 2007 11:54PM

i cant see it cooking the enzymes while inside you .. its hotter then our internal temperature but quickly cools in the gut to our internal temperature...otherwise we'd have burning hot guts no?
=)

Posted by: abc123tyler ()
Date: April 20, 2007 08:21PM

I don't know if it is a question of what it does to the food you eat with it or before it or after it...

If one pill of "medicine" with ever so slight an amount of something in it can have such an effect on your body, think about the amount of something it takes to stop yourself from achieving the utmost of health.

This is what I think about quite often when old tastes and aromas are around me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables