Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

100 percent raw overnight
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 30, 2007 02:47AM

Hi Im new. I have known about the raw food diet for a long time. I think its the most natural thing to do. I want to go raw but all the way. Is it wise to jump right in? I really need to change my diet. I have High blood pressure. I am overweight. I am depressed. I need to change. Any thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 100 percent raw overnight
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: April 30, 2007 02:51AM

My thoughts/opinions:

-If you start slow...and are meeting your goals....you can always speed up. If you start big and fail....there is nothing noble in that.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Fud ()
Date: April 30, 2007 02:57AM

You'll likely experience some "detox" symptoms if you jump right in. I'm on Day 4 of my latest efforts. I'm finding that using the online nutrition calculator at fitday.com is making a big difference for me. I'd suggest you read the posts on here, read a book or two, consult a health care professional that's not going to give you the classic drug company propaganda and have fun. The 80/10/10 diet by Doug Graham seems to get some positive reviews on here. A lot of people use a "transitioning" approach. I jumped right in feet first and am hoping I can do this as I'm the type of personality that has to do "all or none" type of things. It's really based on you and your personality and what works best for you. If you're interested in my woes and trials you can see me at my blog link below in my signature. Also I've found Sarah's blog to be an inspiration at [sarah811.blogspot.com] she's on day 103 I think and is incorporating some exercises, which I hope to start doing in the next week or two. I'm considered "morbidly obese" for my body frame. I should be around 150 and no more than 170 but I started out at 305 so I have about 155 lbs to lose. I'm approaching my goals with the desire to change my eating into raw/living which I've done 100% for the past 3 days and also to improve my physical activity. I figure if I do that the weight will fall into place appropriately. I still need to moderate my intake into a better format so I can get better satisfaction and manage to do more calories. I found by using the calculator that I was depriving myself without realizing it. I'm actually having fun incorporating new foods to get my calories up to at least 1800 to 2200. I haven't gotten it there yet but I'm working on it winking smiley.

Good luck and God Bless. I hope you find your path with raw foods smiling smiley.

[rawfoodtrip.blogspot.com]
[jugglingforjoy.com]

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: April 30, 2007 02:59AM

H-H,

Congrats on your decision. I second Dave's opinion although not as philosophically as he did. There is severe detox that can overwhelm your body if you do the diet 100% raw vegan from 100% SAD.

Good luck.
Therese

Posted by: amybass ()
Date: April 30, 2007 03:31AM

I went raw overnight and did it while pragnant. =)

Just started my rawfood journey and blogging daily about it here: [journeyforhealth.blogspot.com]

Date: April 30, 2007 04:17AM

Cold turkey is fine, that's how I did it.

elnatural

Posted by: earthangel ()
Date: April 30, 2007 04:38AM

Hi there...i agree with david...if you don't feel quite ready yet..then go into it slowly and transistion but if you are really into it and ready to go go 100% right away i went cold turkey too...and so far i am doing alright...i had 2 slip ups since january 24th of this year when is tarted...the only times i wish i would of moved slower is when i am detoxing and craving something like a cooked vegan burger...then the time i gave in and ate them they were nothing like i remember and didn't taste that fabulous haha...good luck......and take care
love earthangel
xoxoxoxoxoxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Posted by: smilebig ()
Date: April 30, 2007 01:04PM

Hey Happy,

When I sense depression knocking at my door, I search for some project/service/love gift that I can do for some else. I'm amazed at how quickly depression flees!

the best to you,
smile

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: April 30, 2007 01:17PM

I'd also recommend not doing it overnight. Just keep adding more raw foods to your diet until you feel ready to go 100%. Try switching your breakfast to fruit and eating a large salad with your eveing meal.

If you still eat meat, cut that out imediatly.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: amybass ()
Date: April 30, 2007 02:52PM

It really depends on your personality. Are you the type of person that inches their way into a cold pool? Or do you just simply dive in and then get used to the water over time?
You can dive in or inch your way in. It is up to you.

Just started my rawfood journey and blogging daily about it here: [journeyforhealth.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: April 30, 2007 04:45PM

im an incher lol

Posted by: fuzzysox ()
Date: April 30, 2007 05:44PM

i dove and omgosh it was hard!! eating healthy isnt the hard part,, the taste of eating all raw is delicious,, its the cravings that are the hard part! thy are horrible! if you kno that ur strong enough to just jump right into 100% do it,, if u absolutely cannot give up your bread, and rice, and pasta, cookies watever right now forever then dont, lol,, although its ok if u "fall off the band wagon", i did alot,, but each time you pick yourself back up you are a little stronger, and eventually you can be 100%,, i would suggest getting all the non raw foods out of yor house if u can,, that way you are being soo much nicer to yourself,, if you live with other ppl who eat a SAD diet its deffinately going 2 be ALOT harder,, but you can do it!!! i did ,, my whole family eats SAD and didnt support me,, and junk food was everywhere! but now i barely hav nemore cravings! so if you really believe you can do it, then go for it!!
good luck smiling smiley

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: April 30, 2007 05:48PM

i ate all the non raw foods out of my house lol

btw i dont suggest doing this winking smiley ... foodbanks will be happy to take your stuff winking smiley

Date: April 30, 2007 06:43PM

Thanks everybody for the advice. I weigh roughly 332 lbs. I I have extremely high blood pressure. My doctor told me I could have a stroke at any time. I need to change. My personality is "all or nothing" too. I'm gonna give it a try . Thanks again everyone.

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: April 30, 2007 08:57PM

I stopped eating all cooked food over night (actually, it was morning), I did a 5 or so day water fast and then only ate raw goods. I didn't really notice any of the detox problems other talk about. If you've got the "all or nothing" personality, the straight 100% method might be the best path, rather than trying to monitor a long drawn out transition.

Good luck,
Ian.

Posted by: earthangel ()
Date: May 01, 2007 05:25AM

hey happy..good luck hun....and any support help or encouragement i can offer let me know!!! i sent you a PM so check it out smiling smiley
take care
love earthangel
xoxoxoxoxoxox

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: May 04, 2007 07:27AM

I agree with David. It took me 5 months to transition from zero percent raw to 100% raw. Looking back on it, it wouldn't have hurt to go even slower. The things that made a difference for me was: 1)going 100%, 2) going low fat, 3) cutting out spices and condiments

Posted by: Forrest ()
Date: May 07, 2007 03:31AM

Hi Bryan, since you seem to be a nice example of long-term success eating the way I do I sometimes wonder if you have written your story out somewhere in detail that I could peruse. And are you the author Bryan Au?

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: May 07, 2007 05:12AM

i checked out bryan au's website
he wrote this raw in 10 minutes book
and he has a restaurant too

but he looks different than bryan au

so they r prob'ly 2 different ppl

Posted by: Elakti ()
Date: May 07, 2007 05:26AM

Happy---
Good luck to you! I am just getting back to raw, am overweight and have been feeling poorly and nervous about my health.

I think it is good ask such a question. I recommend it...ask questions, read lots of books, venture on this path: it IS the natural way to eat and regain your health.

As you see, it is an individual thing. You will know best...and be flexible. You don't know how your detox will go. It could be rough or it could be easy, the raw real food quickly overturning the problems you are now having with manageable detox periods to follow. Everyone does it a little differently. I am all or nothing, so I actually tried to go slowly, but was so joyful about the food (I was so sick when I first started and had no appetite) that I could not be anything but 100% raw immediately. If I try the toe method in a cool pool I may never get in. Everyone comes to this with their own natures and physiological condition and reactions.

Basically, I think the main thing is to have plan a and plan b, being flexible just in case you need to change approach. And in plan B is cooked food such as baked potato and steamed vegetables or the most innocuous of cooked foods, eliminating the worst things completely so they aren't in the picture at all.
This probably sounds so obvious (!). I think I am rambling to myself, as I am coming back to raw after difficult times because I did dip my toe back into the wrong pool! Bottom line, transition slow or fast--- just get the SAD out immediately and your course will happen naturally.

Happy adventure! smiling smiley
Elakti

Posted by: Elakti ()
Date: May 07, 2007 03:05PM

If you are really new to this and the complete plunge is too challenging, the book Fit For Life has good information about transition.

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: May 08, 2007 02:53AM

>
> Basically, I think the main thing is to have plan
> a and plan b, being flexible just in case you need
> to change approach. And in plan B is cooked food
> such as baked potato and steamed vegetables or the
> most innocuous of cooked foods, eliminating the
> worst things completely so they aren't in the
> picture at all.
> This probably sounds so obvious (!).

I think this is great logic. Unfortunately I don't think its obvious enough. got heavy debates abound from people not comfortable making this step. insisting on keeping certain 'foods' in their diets for 'health benefits', or in eating non-healthful foods in 'moderation'.

Any step towards progressively moving the bad out and the good in...for a lifetime is where you want to be..the ratio and what constitutes good and bad..will continuely be in flux in that respect as well.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: May 09, 2007 06:29PM

100% overnight

It is totally worth it, totally fun, and totally powerful

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables