Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Hippocrates shines bright
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 03, 2007 05:06AM

This morning I was proof reading some new liturature on raw foods for Hippocrates in FL. As I was reading I was very amazed and kept thinking this is exactly how I believe to the T. I could have written it myself. It was on juicing, sprouts, herbs, fermented foods, wheatgrass, dextox, food combining, high greens and very low fruit. WOW - GO HIPPOCRATES GO!!!!!!!!!

elnatural

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hippocrates shines bright
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: May 03, 2007 06:45AM

el.....I'd say that a health institute like Hippocrates would be for the person with limited knowledge about an alternative (100% Raw Vegan plus Wheatgrass) lifestyle. Those of us who 'know', just need to 'do' at our own homes.......WY

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: May 03, 2007 06:45AM

I ate there once and it was so bland. I hated it, and so did my mom. I need food to taste good. Sprouts and greens with no dressing except blended garlic was not good. someone used all the braggs and I was dying.
The sauerkraut was ok if you like stuff that tastes sour, and the only fruit was an avocado.

i didn't like it. I admit.

we are all different though,good for hippocrates,good for them. they are very successful business I would not want to work there, though. I have sweet fruit love.

Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: May 03, 2007 08:06AM

I heard Brian Clement speak last night. He looks very healthy and has nice skin and hair. He's a good speaker and very intense and passionate about raw foods. He seems like a nice family man, too. We are both greens aficianados so I was open to learning from him. He just has a good spirit about him.

Posted by: earthangel ()
Date: May 03, 2007 08:11AM

thanks el ....brian is in san diego this week speaking and i think i am going to make sure i make it to his lecture...i think he might be what i need right now with my raw lifestyle and now seeing results right now and wondering what i need to do different with all my health challenge.s....would love to go mostly all fruit but can't with my diabetes..(type 1 take insulin)
thanks
love earthangel
xoxoxoxoxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Date: May 04, 2007 01:27AM

Coconutcream

A person in FL once said the suarkraut that I make would of easily won the Hipocrates saurkaut contest, including the Hipocrates version. People rave over it.

Elnatural

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: May 04, 2007 01:39AM

Hippocrates has a high raw diet that they themselves says is only good for 80% of your food. The other 20% they recommend eating cooked starches. For people who don't want to eat 100% raw, this is a fine way to go.

However, their diet, by their own admission, is NOT for 100% raw. For that, you have to go somewhere else.

Date: May 04, 2007 03:11AM

The lititure I just reviewed for Hippocrates was all on how to be a 100% raw foodist Hipocrates style. It was complete set of info going over all aspects of what they prescribe. Not a single thing from the contrary above statement was in there.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------Have any of you women who responed, ever seen both Brian Clement and Gabriel Cousins in person. I have only seen the former. If you have seen both can you compare the two ?

Thanks
elnatural

Date: May 04, 2007 03:19AM

from lectures notes from a Brian Clement talk:

Consumption of living foods is on a weight basis. We suggest 80% raw, 20% cooked, by weight (not by volume or caloric value). An illustration. If you drink 2, 16-ounce glasses of raw veg/sprout juice per day, and eat 2 large salads per day (0.25-0.5 pounds per salad), you can eat 0.25-0.5 pounds of cooked food at each meal.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: May 04, 2007 03:32AM

A lb of juice and a lb of salad is about 450 kcal. That would be only about 25% by kcal in an 1800 kcal/day diet.

It does qualify as 14 servings of f+v by USDA recs but that isn't saying much.

I think it would be better to eat more fruit in addition to this.

I don't have any problems with minor additions of things like steamed veggies and beans. The starches add some satisfaction and feelings of fullness. But some people object to those.

Date: May 04, 2007 03:42AM

If one added a half pound of rice, thats only 271 calories. A half pound of beans is only 333 calories. I don't see how Brian Clements could have suggested such a low calorie diet (450 raw + 333 cooked) = 783 total calories. Most people need to multiply their weight by 10 to get the number of calories that feels good.

Date: May 04, 2007 04:08AM

I realy love the Hipocrates emphisis on wheatgrass, green juices and sprouts. I am using more and more sprouts all the time. I am back to developing an automatic sprouter that will produce lots of sprouts and wheatgass hydroponicly. It uses a rack system of very fine mesh bins. The smallest seeds won't go through. To prevent mold sprouts need very good ventilation and they can't sit in water. I will try to find sprayers like in the supermarket produce sections. It will have a timer and soleniod valve. If I don't make them for sale on my site, then I will put the plans up there for free.

elnatural

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 04, 2007 04:17AM

that sounds more like aeroponics then hydroponics Al.. i run both systems in my house for various veggies

the only thing ive found difficult by either system is the nutrient supply ..i dont like using commercial fertilizer (powder or liquid) as most of it is of dubious sources

ive had luck using worm casting tea but it needs to be strained ALOT through several screens to eliminate solids and finally through nylon (pantyhose) mesh to get through the sprayer system as it clogs the nozzles

it produces for example .. a tomato that tastes like a tomato should not like a tasteless tennis ball lol

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2007 04:18AM by Jgunn.

Date: May 04, 2007 04:34AM

Jodi
This is very good, what's your system, did you buy it, what sprayers.

After seeing Dan Jan's system in FL with gravel and dilute ocean water that's what I would like to use. The problem is clogging of sprayers that have a flow rate of less than 2 gal. per minute. They save water by spraying fine but clogg up from certain minerals. The correct amount of celtic sea salt is 1.5 cups to a gallon, then dilute that 6 to one.
reference book - sea energy - by manord murry

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: May 04, 2007 04:50AM

>I really love the Hipocrates emphisis on wheatgrass, green juices and sprouts. I am using more and more sprouts all the time. I am back to developing an automatic sprouter that will produce lots of sprouts and wheatgass hydroponicly. It uses a rack system of very fine mesh bins. The smallest seeds won't go through. To prevent mold sprouts need very good ventilation and they can't sit in water. I will try to find sprayers like in the supermarket produce sections. It will have a timer and soleniod valve. If I don't make them for sale on my site, then I will put the plans up there for free.<

Elnatural,
That sounds very cool!

I used to go to the Hippocrates (Boston) every once in awhile and I thought the food was great, especially all the sprouts. The only thing I really didn't like was Rejuvelac. ;-p

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: May 04, 2007 05:27AM

ElNatural, I just saw him speak in person last night. I spoke to him & was very impressed.

He said, if you have a disease or a health condition, you MUST eat 100% raw, to cure it and he said he has never seen a disease cured when the person was not 100% raw. So, if you have a health problem or disease he said you MUST be 100% raw for a cure. If you don't have a health problem, then he recommends 80% raw.

I judge people by how how healthy they look, not how attractive they are. He is very healthy looking. Most who claim to be 100% raw, don't look healthy to me, even if they are attractive. I see something that many people don't see in their eyes & intuitively. I have a very good friend that works very close with 100% raw, and she said they are the most unhealthy people and always tell her their complaints about health problems that they don't share with anyone else. I also think that many 100% raw pepes have a delusion of grandure. Just from what I've observed.

Date: May 04, 2007 05:31AM

In the example above, with 2 pounds of juice and 1 pound of salad and a half pound of cooked beans, even though the raw part by weight was 85.7% raw, by calories it is only 57% raw. I don't think these folks are eating as much raw as they think they are.

Date: May 04, 2007 05:35AM

Wow, Brian Clement really hit a tender spot here. I think that is a huge compliment to him.

Date: May 04, 2007 06:29AM

Rawwrrr!

I have my own "eye" test that very rarely gets "passed", sometimes I wonder if they know they are "being tested" LOL

I also have a lot of intuition. If I remember correctly I'm an INFP according to that test. Only 3% of the popuplation is that type. To narrow it down more an aquarian INFP.

elnatural

Posted by: uma ()
Date: May 04, 2007 06:41AM

I have seen both Cousens and Clement in person. In fact I was Cousens' patient for 2 years including thousands of dollars in supplements and retreats; and did the full 3-week program with Clement including wheatgrass up the ass, and did his program for several months afterwards.

Both men were friendly, had a vibrant, radiant energy about them and seemed to be doing something that worked for them personally, but neither of their programs to heal dis-ease worked for me at all so I moved onto Hygiene which has worked better than anything so far.

I thought Cousens had a committed personal practice and was into the spirituality and did some cool retreats with meditation and yoga but as far as my healing went, I was on like 30 supplements and it was so just another version of western medicine (he is an MD) trying to fix me that failed miserably.

I thought Clement was doing great at appealing to the mainstream, he is "normal" and "respectable" enough seeming to get through to the meat & potatoes crowd whose doctors have turned them away with so-called terminal illness; also i met several folks who came there for a beauty tune-up or to lose weight. So I did see a lot of people benefit from their experience. And it was a step in the right direction for me from what I was doing before. But as far as permanent healing for me it was not there. For one because i would have to be dependant on my juicer and sprouts for the rest of my life which I couldn't fathom. Didn't seem like freedom to me. But they are doing good work there.

Just my experience.

Love,
Uma

Date: May 04, 2007 06:52AM

correction

should have been ENFP

[www.personalitypage.com]

elnatural

Date: May 04, 2007 07:11AM

I hate taking supplements & learned years ago not to buy them because I waste money because they just sit there and expire.

Yes, one size does not fit all.

This morning I woke up early and looked at the big organic watermelon I just bought and did not want it. I love watermelon, but I actually thought to myself that I would feel like I was bound and not free if I HAD to be a fruitarian every morning until noon. For breakfast, I put a straw in a coconut, grabbed 2 dates and ate the coconut jell... yum. Shortly after,about 8am, I wanted a romaine salad with avocado, lemon and raw olives. By 10a I wanted cooked lentil & millet soup. I want to be free and eat what my body craves and not be bound to having to eat soft fruit every morning until noon. It just feels like drudgery to me and makes me unhappy. I was happy today to eat the healthy things I really wanted. I'm starting to crave my watermelon now, so I can't wait to eat it tomorrow.

Date: May 04, 2007 07:15AM

hey rawrr yay you for doing what your body feels and making yourself healthy AND happy!! keep it up!! you are awesome....
hey btw are you making it to the lecture tomorrow???
hope to see you there
love earthangel
xoxoxoxoxoxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Date: May 04, 2007 07:33AM

rawrrr

and not be bound to having to eat soft fruit every morning until noon. It just feels like drudgery to me and makes me unhappy

Where did you get a dumb idea like that?

You need to see the Sapoty Brooks Video now called Eco-Eating, you're comming beautifully into his wisdom all on your own : )

Does anyone put the same amount of gas into thier cars every day at the exact same times?

And now you're getting very happy. You mite even pass your own "eye" test LOL

I eat salad in the mornings too at times.

elnatural

Date: May 04, 2007 07:43AM

Earthangel, I might not be able to make it, but I can't wait to meet you. My daughter & her bf are visiting.

Elnatural, I've never heard of Sapoty Brooks Video -Eco-Eating. I'll check it out.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: May 04, 2007 08:00AM

Rawrrr! Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> He said, if you have a disease or a health
> condition, you MUST eat 100% raw, to cure it and
> he said he has never seen a disease cured when the
> person was not 100% raw. So, if you have a health
> problem or disease he said you MUST be 100% raw
> for a cure. If you don't have a health problem,
> then he recommends 80% raw.
>

am i the only one who reads the above and finds it illogical and contradictory?

Date: May 04, 2007 08:52AM

NO most places that support raw living..recommend 100% raw for health challenges to cure them and help your body heal....but if you aren't striving to cure a health challenge or dis-ease...that 80% can keep the body at top notch..i personally want to stick wtih 100% always..even after curing all of my health challenges.......what did you see illogical about his statement???
love earthangel
xoxoxoxoxoxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: May 04, 2007 11:48AM

fresh Wrote:
-
> am i the only one who reads the above and finds it
> illogical and contradictory?

No.

I agree w/ coconutcream when she says that they just make stuff up and extrapolate. They fixate on simple ideas when the whole diet pattern needs to be evaluated. We don't have all the answers yet. We just know a little bit.

They win people over with their personalities, not by the strength of their arguments.

Bryan wrote:
>Most people need to multiply their weight by 10 to get the number of calories that feels good.

I need to multiply by 15-17. I'd look like a preying mantis at 10.

I think for the people who follow his recs, the rest of their kcals are most likely coming from fats.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: May 04, 2007 12:55PM

> he said he has never seen a disease cured when the
> person was not 100% raw. So, if you have a health
> problem or disease he said you MUST be 100% raw
> for a cure. If you don't have a health problem,
> then he recommends 80% raw.
>
hi earthangel,

i think he says the above that for several reasons, two of which are that he doesn't want to appear extreme and it's very hard to eat all raw without eating fruit.

it's like saying, well, our old car has been sitting around, so lets put in 100% gasoline into the gas tank. after we drive the car for a bit, and it cleans out some of the gunk , we can go ahead and put 20% water into the tank, and the rest gasoline.

or let's say instead, 100% oil in one case and then 80% oil and 20% maple syrup.

some will protest the metaphors.

some will use the metaphors to argue that we should use a master cleanse for example. but we must instead try and determine whether or not the body, or automobile is able to cleanse on its own or not. the body can in most cases, but a car is not alive and may not be able to.

i was trying to understand what he thinks the difference is between being unhealthy and healthy. if he thinks that cooked food causes problems during healing, then why wouldn't cooked food cause problems during a state when we are supposedly perfectly healthy (as if there's such a thing)?

because wouldn't cooked food then put us back into a state of unhealth?

does he think that cooked foods didn't cause the problem in the first place?

i think it's better and more effective to put an ideal out there, as you have, and do our best to reach it, rather than compromising, unless there is some good reason to do so.

Date: May 04, 2007 01:15PM

fresh

I love your metphors, sounds like something I would write. Your logic is good.

elnatural

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables